View Poll Results: Is this team for real?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Legit!

27 60.00%
  • Let's see if it lasts

16 35.56%
  • Fun while it lasts but won't last

2 4.44%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Are you a believer?

So is this team legit? Too early to say? A fluke?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Re: Are you a believer?

Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Talking Re: Are you a believer?

Let's see where they are in a couple months. If they're still in this position, they should explore the trade market for a starting pitcher.

Tough four game series coming up against Houston, that will be a great test.

i worry about it lasting. Really need to see how this team handles a stretch of adversity.
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    i worry about it lasting. Really need to see how this team handles a stretch of adversity.
    Didi went down, Sanchez went down and Bird went down...

Get another top arm and absolutely they are a contender. Bird hasn't hit anything yet, Sanchez just got back, offense is really good, back end of pen is good.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ncyankeeefan View Post
    Get another top arm and absolutely they are a contender. Bird hasn't hit anything yet, Sanchez just got back, offense is really good, back end of pen is good.
    They are already a contender. They replace CC in the rotation with a quality arm they probably become AL favorites.

They are 3rd in AL in team ERA, despite CC stinking and Tanaka bombing out of the gate but quickly correcting and 1st in team OPS.

The back end of the pen isn't good, it's great.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

This is a solid team right now with good depth. All the signals and relevant stats point towards sustained good play. Injuries can be a factor, but it's the same concern for any team.

Yankees have one of the best MLB outfield rotations. And they have 2 blue chip players in Fowler and Frazier at AAA. I'm betting Cashman is a very popular man. He must be getting calls for trade non-stop.

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    Didi went down, Sanchez went down and Bird went down...
    Injuries are just a part of it. They continued to play well, I'm worried what will happen when the runs stop coming so easily for an extended stretch of games. Or a pitching injury.
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

What I believe is that this team is as exciting to watch as I can ever remember. As far as where that leaves us at the end of the year I do not know. But I do feel a 1994-95 vibe that's for sure.

Even if no arm is added, if 4 of 5 starters are as good as they can be hoped to be, this team will contend.

If 3 of 5 suck or get hurt, which is possible, forget it.

I still checked legit. I believe in the offense, as long as Joe makes the right moves. He has enough pieces that black holes just can't be tolerated, I don't care what they are paid or how they were acquired.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Even if no arm is added, if 4 of 5 starters are as good as they can be hoped to be, this team will contend.

If 3 of 5 suck or get hurt, which is possible, forget it.

I still checked legit. I believe in the offense, as long as Joe makes the right moves. He has enough pieces that black holes just can't be tolerated, I don't care what they are paid or how they were acquired.
    Yeah, I feel starting pitching during the entire season is still a source of concern.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

This team is legit, bats are all in sync and we are getting better than expected pitching performances
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

I am a believer, but I do think their SPs have the ability to ruin this feel-good run.

The bats have been a very pleasant surprise. This team will only get better when Bird and Sanchez hit closer to their potential.

The starting pitchers have been everything our biggest optimists predicted in the off season. Monty looks like a keeper. Severino is living up to the hype from a couple of seasons ago. And Pineda is no longer driving me to drink.

The biggest difference in my outlook for this team is that I no longer believe we'll be sellers at the trade deadline. Gardy, Ells, Headley, Castro, Tanaka, Pineda, and Holliday should all stay put, while Cash looks to buy.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Offensively I'm a believer, but IMO we need another stud SP to compete for a championship.

I'm willing to trade some of our young minor league talent if we can acquire a legit ace.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

This team is legit, at least the bats..

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Offensively I'm a believer, but IMO we need another stud SP to compete for a championship.

I'm willing to trade some of our young minor league talent if we can acquire a legit ace.
    If they are as legit as some of us think they have plenty of assets to go get one.. but what if Pineda and Severino keep pitching like this!?

NYYF MVP

As one of the few people on this board to say that this team was better than the general consensus before the start of the season, I'm going to say no. We need one more starting pitcher and while the offense is solid from leadoff down to the 9-hole, I could see periods of slumping. I'm thrilled with the way we're playing and I think we're doing a great job to put ourselves in playoff contention, but there's still a decent shot we find ourselves in a one-game playoff, which really hurts our chances of making a long playoff run.

However, I'm a believer in the Yankees being a true contender next season and the best team in baseball in 2019. That dynasty is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBliz View Post
    As one of the few people on this board to say that this team was better than the general consensus before the start of the season, I'm going to say no. We need one more starting pitcher and while the offense is solid from leadoff down to the 9-hole, I could see periods of slumping. I'm thrilled with the way we're playing and I think we're doing a great job to put ourselves in playoff contention, but there's still a decent shot we find ourselves in a one-game playoff, which really hurts our chances of making a long playoff run.

However, I'm a believer in the Yankees being a true contender next season and the best team in baseball in 2019. That dynasty is coming.
    just making the playoffs this year would be a great thing for this team. This team wasn't supposed to arrive for another 2 years honestly.

Enough home run hitting to stay competitive. Time will tell if the other stuff will be maintained to contend.

At the moment, I'm just enjoying the ride and not expecting wins.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa."

NYYF Legend

Castro and Headley playing out of their minds early on has helped to give them a cushion... we need to see what happens once all the performances (including judge) normalize... Sanchez getting his power stroke back and bird coming back strong should help alleviate any regression
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Sanchez is seeing a lot of pitches and is getting his hits too. You can kinda tell he's starting to get his timing back. Which means the dingers can't be too far behind. I need to see a Sanchez and Judge power burst coincide. Supernova time.

I haven't been this excited about the Yankees since the moment right before Derek Jeter broke his ankle in Game 1 of the 2012 ALCS.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF HOF

since 1967...sometimes it hurts to be an optimist....other times it can be quite rewarding :-)
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Thread Information