+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Do the the new big bats change Cash's plan?

I think most were expecting the Yankees to go hard for Harper when he hits free agency at a cost of 30-35 million per season. With Judge and company, assuming these guys are real, will and should the Yankees now pass on Harper?

The money saved could help bring in two quality starters instead, and could start a new dynasty.

What do you guys think?

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

NYYF Legend

Re: Do the the new big bats change Cash's plan?

Well I don't see a need to sign 2 which I think would be a mistake financially anyway. But yes it definitely does reduce the need for one.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just my opinion, but barring injury, the Yankees should pursue Harper full-force once he hits free agency. In my 40+ years of following this team, I can't recall a free agent who was a more natural fit for this team than Harper.

He's actually younger than Judge, and only 2 months older than Sanchez.
    His LH bat is tailor-made for YS. 45-50 HR a year is not out of the question.

An 2019 outfield of Harper, Judge and Rutherford is potentially devastating.

They can then use their surplus of outfielders (Frazier, Fowler, Hicks, etc.) to obtain any pitching they may need.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Just my opinion, but barring injury, the Yankees should pursue Harper full-force once he hits free agency. In my 40+ years of following this team, I can't recall a free agent who was a more natural fit for this team than Harper.

He's actually younger than Judge, and only 2 months older than Sanchez.
    His LH bat is tailor-made for YS. 45-50 HR a year is not out of the question.

An 2019 outfield of Harper, Judge and Rutherford is potentially devastating.

They can then use their surplus of outfielders (Frazier, Fowler, Hicks, etc.) to obtain any pitching they may need.
    I would sign on with this. However no more big contracts for offense
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

You do not let the Red Sox beat you for Harper. That's all I'm going to say. That can not can not happen. If Harper hits the market. He needs to become a yankee
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place with you

I have no issues with spending tons on Harper, but spending money for the sake of spending money isn't a good idea either. If by some quirky string of fortunate luck the team becomes a superpower using its own farm system, it would be wiser to save hundreds of millions for a rainy day. Until the end of next season comes along we're just guessing anyway, so we may as well just see what things look like then.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Cy Young

ME. It's 2 years away so I am not thinking about it now but I do think Machado is a better fit (3rd) and he will be cheaper. I do feel Harper will get 400M/10yrs so I have a big problem with that. The cap is still going to be around 200M and that's like 20% for ONE player. Early, I don't think Judge or Harper can keep this pace. I read a post here about three days ago thinking the Yankees will/might sign Sanchez and Judge to contracts before they hit FA. I prefer this and invest in starting pitching (Tanaka may opt out). I like Hicks, Judge, and Fraizer (2 years) for future OF.

Harper needs to fulfill his destiny. He will be a Yankee.

NYYF MVP

I would still like to see the Yankees go all in and sign Harper AND Machado regardless. It may leave Frazier, Rutherford, Andujar, Fowler without a spot, but we can then package whichever of those guys has the most value together and also add a frontline starter in his prime.

I've been all on board for the youth movement. But once we have that core in place, I want to see Cash push all-in and put this team over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Harper needs to fulfill his destiny. He will be a Yankee.
    The rebirth of the Evil Empire!
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN View Post
    I think most were expecting the Yankees to go hard for Harper when he hits free agency at a cost of 30-35 million per season. With Judge and company, assuming these guys are real, will and should the Yankees now pass on Harper?

The money saved could help bring in two quality starters instead, and could start a new dynasty.

What do you guys think?
    I agree! But this can change in two years. As the team looks right now, IMO your plan is the way to go.

NYYF HOF

lol @ it "changing Cash's plan"

Signing Harper or Machado or anyone two long years from now is just wishful thinking by this fan base, not something any GM would go on record as saying.

With that being said, I think the type of money and years of commitment these guys will command will warrant more than one opt-out for the team - perhaps every 3 years. If they want to be the highest paid players in history they're going to have to concede certain aspects, and IMO a team opt-out is a very important one. Personally I disagree with any contract for any player being longer than 5 years.

Mathematically thinking, I don't really see how a big market team can stay under a $200M cap and still be a real player for signing these guys. IMO you just can't field a good enough team if 1/25 of your payroll = $40M
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post

Signing Harper or Machado or anyone two long years from now is just wishful thinking by this fan base, not something any GM would go on record as saying.

With that being said, I think the type of money and years of commitment these guys will command will warrant more than one opt-out for the team - perhaps every 3 years. If they want to be the highest paid players in history they're going to have to concede certain aspects, and IMO a team opt-out is a very important one. Personally I disagree with any contract for any player being longer than 5 years.

Mathematically thinking, I don't really see how a big market team can stay under a $200M cap and still be a real player for signing these guys. IMO you just can't field a good enough team if [B]1/25 of your payroll = $40M
    Having lunch break but I think you meant 1/5 of your payroll, 40/200

No way are either one going to take a 3 year team option. IMO It was be a no trade contract or player option. Harper will be the highest contract. If Washington wins the WS it will be interesting.
    Last edited by Maynerd; 05-08-17 at 10:19 AM.

NYYF Legend

[QUOTE=bucky;8278389]
    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post

Mathematically thinking, I don't really see how a big market team can stay under a $200M cap and still be a real player for signing these guys. IMO you just can't field a good enough team if 1/25 of your payroll = $40M[/QUOTE]

No way are either one going to take a 3 year team option. IMO It was be a no trade contract or player option. Harper will be the highest contract. If Washington wins the WS it will be interesting.
    Harper and Machado both will likely get 10 year deals exceeding $300 million. No way do we sign both.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    I think he meant if one of your 25 players on your payroll gets $40MM.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Sign them both, and use our farm system for starting pitching. That will lead to a 7-10 year dynasty.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I think he meant if one of your 25 players on your payroll gets $40MM.
    Thanks - I missed this. It's a good point.

Also could they work the cap like they do in football? What if they gave Harper a $100 in the first year? And use the huge up front $ for a lower overall #. Say $100 mill year 1..and then $27mill for year 2-8? That would be great for the long term. I dont think the!
    players union would have a problem with it eather

I think at least one of them re-signs with their team. Neither team is the Royals or Rays financially.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Balls-To-The-Wall View Post
    Sign them both, and use our farm system for starting pitching. That will lead to a 7-10 year dynasty.
    LT...It would really restrict any other moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Balls-To-The-Wall View Post
    Also could they work the cap like they do in football? What if they gave Harper a $100 in the first year? And use the huge up front $ for a lower overall #. Say $100 mill year 1..and then $27mill for year 2-8? That would be great for the long term. I dont think the!
    players union would have a problem with it eather
    Good idea, but they use annual average value of the contract when considering luxury tax implications so this wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Good idea, but they use annual average value of the contract when considering luxury tax implications so this wouldn't work.
    Well it would still be in the teams favor for trade purposes, and buy outs in the end of the deal.

I have no interest in signing either Harper or Machado unless there is absolutely no other option. Pitching and defense wins championships. That should be the first priority. A team needs enough offense but that doesn't necessarily mean a guy like Harper.

Second, a team needs a well developed organization that provides a steady stream of replacent talent. Because things happen, there are no long term guarantees on player longevity at any age. Tex's contract looked good at the time they signed him. So did CC's. So did Tanaka's. So, keeping the talent pool stocked should be the next priority IMO.

After that, a team that is a player or two away has to make the decisions they have to make as circumstances at the time dictate.

Pass on Harper, sign Machado.

I think you cannot really say which one to sign as yet, and the reason is we don't know where our strength will be in two years.
    Right now Castro looks like a world beater, Didi has been good since the DL stint ended. Headley is not a factor here, he'll be gone in 2 years. But Torres will be here.
    In the OF is this the real Judge? How does Frazier materialize?

I think we will sign whichever fills a need. If Frazier busts and Judge is just hot instead of great, and Torres is the next great Yankee, then Harper starts to look like the man.

If OTOH Torres is not what we think, and instead Judge is really this good and Frazier is awesome too, then the bigger hole starts to be the infield, and then you get Machado.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Thread Information