+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Castro..

Re: Castro..

fWAR was only one of the metrics, not everything. but anyway i don't think we are getting anywhere with this

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    lindor is far far better lol.
    Everybody knows that. The point was that he's outperforming every MI so far this year.

he hasn't

He has.

nope.

Yep?.

pretty straightforward. he's been good but also lucky. so in terms of how good he has been, he's not as good as his results indicate.

Not the point at all. The numbers he's been putting up with the bat lead every MI out there. The luck will normalize and Castro will come down to Earth. I don't think anybody is challenging that. However, up to now, his numbers are best.

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    Not the point at all. The numbers he's been putting up with the bat lead every MI out there. The luck will normalize and Castro will come down to Earth. I don't think anybody is challenging that. However, up to now, his numbers are best.
    Line drives at the infielders and outfielders are better than actual hits. Did you see that hit Baez got before, it was a weak groundball that got through that knocked in a run, but hey a line drive at the shortstop is better . Yeah its unlucky, but hitting it where they aint is something good players can do
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

I love any thread on this board that involves either Castro or Hicks.

Makes up for the boring Cashman threads.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Castro
    .355, 6 HR, 21 RBI, .395 OBP, 0.941 OPS, 1.5 WAR

Lindor
    .280, 8 HR, 18 RBI, .346 OBP, .922 OPS, 1.1 WAR

These are 2017 numbers only.
    Looking at the above, I would definitely have to say Castro has been the better player so far this season.

Note: not a projection of who is better or who will turn out better, just who has been better so far this season.

In other words, if I pulled the names out of the equation, and said Castro was player A, and Lindor was player B, and you could guarantee the same stats for the next month, who would you take over the next month? Clearly you'd take player A...
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Castro
    .355, 6 HR, 21 RBI, .395 OBP, 0.941 OPS, 1.5 WAR

Lindor
    .280, 8 HR, 18 RBI, .346 OBP, .922 OPS, 1.1 WAR

These are 2017 numbers only.
    Looking at the above, I would definitely have to say Castro has been the better player so far this season.

Note: not a projection of who is better or who will turn out better, just who has been better so far this season.

In other words, if I pulled the names out of the equation, and said Castro was player A, and Lindor was player B, and you could guarantee the same stats for the next month, who would you take over the next month? Clearly you'd take player A...
    Thank you for getting the point. It's quite simple really. Not sure why some people are having such a tough time with it.

ehh Starlin will be gone once Torres is ready by 2018 or 2019

Quote Originally Posted by nyy42 View Post
    Castro was part of the rebuild/youth movement in Chicago and was traded away, right before the Cubs won the WS. Imagine if that were to happen again to him in NY?!
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Right now Torres is playing shortstop in Trenton.

i'm ok with castro at 2b and torres replacing didi.

but let's not get carried away with the idea of extending castro or something. unless he walks 50 times and shows fundamentally improved approach and power, which is not yet very apparent.

plus his defense etc still suck

NYYF Legend

i'm ok with castro at 2b
    Many Yankee decision makers will be glad to know this :-)
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

we don't need a shiny new toy at 2B. I like the one we have now.

i'm ok with castro at 2b and torres replacing didi.

but let's not get carried away with the idea of extending castro or something. unless he walks 50 times and shows fundamentally improved approach and power, which is not yet very apparent.

plus his defense etc still suck
    I think his base running is much worse than his defense. Again with the D, other than that one egregious ole' a handful of games into the season, I think his defense has been solid. A couple of bobbles where they end up getting one out instead of a dp, but nothing that has hurt the team. And I have seen a handful of low % possibility plays that he has made.

As to the extension piece of it I agree, although I see them potentially extending one of Didi or Castro (that is unless Mateo really flips the switch). Didi is probably the cheaper option.

I just do not understand why some people just can't give a player their due. Castro has had a great year so far, will he keep it up, maybe, maybe not. Good Lord, it's like some of you want the guy to fail. I don't get it. Some of the same people get mad when Bird doesn't make the lineup, Castro has had more hits in weekend series then Bird has had all season.

Quote Originally Posted by ncyankeeefan View Post
    I just do not understand why some people just can't give a player their due. Castro has had a great year so far, will he keep it up, maybe, maybe not. Good Lord, it's like some of you want the guy to fail. I don't get it. Some of the same people get mad when Bird doesn't make the lineup, Castro has had more hits in weekend series then Bird has had all season.
    For sure. It is even worse than that, even when he isn't "failing" they will continue to put forth the idea that he totally sucks.

Torres will play 3rd and Headley out.
    I know they say that when you dream you eventually wake up. Well, for some reason, Ive never had to wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by Team DJ View Post
    Torres will play 3rd and Headley out.
    Most likely - Torres is playing exclusively on the left side of the IF. Also, don't sleep on the possibility of Thairo taking Castro's spot.

Make the Yankees great again!!

Over a very large sample size Castro has a .282 lifetime batting average. So when his detractors state he's not a .340 hitter and will eventually come back down to the mean, that's not an unreasonable statement. The problem I have is they (his detractors) are not consistent with their use of statistical analysis. When Castro struggled greatly last May and June, some of us stated that his stats indicate he was most likely in a prolonged slump and would eventually break out. That reasoning was rejected by his detractors, they didn't want to hear about slumps, reverting back to the mean, bad luck, etc. It was Castro sucks, get him out of town.

I don't have an issue with statistical analysis, I have a big problem with "selective" statistical analysis.

nah man i think your probelm is with analysis

Thread Information