+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Don't fall in love with Matt Holliday

Take it from a Cardinal fan. He will break you heart. He was the single worst clutch hitter batting in the 3 hole I have ever seen.

hollidayerror460oct091.jpg

He's an iron man. I've seen fastballs bounce off his knees, wrists, head, etc. and the guy doesn't even grimace. And he never gets sick. Ready to play every day. His problem is that he has the Mantle approach: hit everything out of the park on every AB. Too bad he doesn't have a Mantle batting eye.

NYYF Legend

Re: Don't fall in love with Matt Holliday

David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Holliday is only here to fill a void for this year. Not many are expecting a playoff run so we're not going to worry about him being a postseason clutch player.
    Let the kids play.

Why is this a thread

Quote Originally Posted by str8carter View Post
    His problem is that he has the Mantle approach: hit everything out of the park on every AB. Too bad he doesn't have a Mantle batting eye.
    Given his career numbers, I'm gonna go ahead and say the approach has worked.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Given his career numbers, I'm gonna go ahead and say the approach has worked.
    280 career with RISP with 2 out. Over 300 with RISP overall. 276 walks to 338 ks with RISP. That's pretty solid. It's not David Ortiz good. But solid. I think we all had a pretty good idea of what Holliday would be. He's way past his prime
    Baseball games are not won with a formula

carter bro stop posting and go back to the cage.
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    I think we all had a pretty good idea of what Holliday would be.
    Matt Holliday is who we thought he is.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

This thread is a combination of aids and cancer.
    Calmer than you are

280 career with RISP with 2 out. Over 300 with RISP overall. 276 walks to 338 ks with RISP. That's pretty solid. It's not David Ortiz good. But solid. I think we all had a pretty good idea of what Holliday would be. He's way past his prime
    What's the relevance of career numbers to the performance of a 37-year-old player in the waning years of his career? Especially when years of those career numbers were accomplished at hitter friendly Coors Field.

It might be useful if you post his RISP numbers from last year, which would seem to be more relevant to what can be expected from him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    carter bro stop posting and go back to the cage.
    I initially read the username as strtcarter
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Holliday is only here to fill a void for this year. Not many are expecting a playoff run so we're not going to worry about him being a postseason clutch player.
    Are you serious? You're hot as a pistol and Sanchez ain't even playing!

On Matt: by mid season it will be apparent that he can't hit. He's a unreal sucker for the slider from a RHP. Strikes out diving too much.

If you read my entire post and what I was responding too. I think that'll pretty much tell you why I poated career splits.. already said Holliday was past prime and that we had a good idea of what Holliday would be

Are you serious? You're hot as a pistol and Sanchez ain't even playing!
    It's only one month, and there are three older position players who will eventually wear down and put a drag on the offense. The starting pitching has been very good, but depth is a problem and that will be an issue sooner or later. Good news is that the farm will eventually come to the rescue and fix a lot of this, just not this year.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

The Yankees went after Holiday for him to be a role player and for him to be a positive influence (Mentor) in the clubhouse and we will get more than our money's worth. We knew what he was (or wasn't) and he will do the job we wanted him for.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    The Yankees went after Holiday for him to be a role player and for him to be a positive influence (Mentor) in the clubhouse and we will get more than our money's worth. We knew what he was (or wasn't) and he will do the job we wanted him for.

Andy
    Close thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post

Andy
    I doubt that mentoring was considered as the man is a clam. However, he was carrying a heavy load on his back in St. Louis, and that was his enormous salary. It pissed off Pujols and it was a bad situation all around. The only stat he ever lead the team in was GIDP and K's and you can be sure that fact eluded nobody. That was a bad situation.

I wish the guy well in the Apple. Who knows: he could do better without that heavy money load on him.

NYYF Legend

Over 8 seasons in STL he put up a 138 OPS+

I'd say he lived up to that contract just fine.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Over 8 seasons in STL he put up a 138 OPS+

I'd say he lived up to that contract just fine.
    Oh yeah, well most of those OPSes+'s were on GiDPs. So there.
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

The only stat he ever lead the team in was GIDP and K's and you can be sure that fact eluded nobody.

That's not true.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

What did Matt Holliday do to hurt you?

The guy has been a monster his entire career, outside of last season when he was hurt. He also walks a pretty good amount and doesn't strike out a crazy amount. This is about as inaccurate take on a player as you can have...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post

The guy has been a monster his entire career, outside of last season when he was hurt. He also walks a pretty good amount and doesn't strike out a crazy amount. This is about as inaccurate take on a player as you can have...
    I think it's just sour plums from a fan of a wanna be great franchise like the Yankees.
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

NYYF Legend

I just looked over his career stats.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ollima01.shtml

He is not like Trout, but his career has been as solid as they come. I would agree with Yankee Tripper above that he was worth his contract.

NYYF Legend

I do recall Holliday dropping an easy flyball in LF that pretty much cost them a playoff series against the Dodgers and he has come up mostly small in the post season.

But soup is right, the guy has had a borderline HOF career. Probably fall short but he's been better than some that have already been inducted.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post

I admit when I looked at his career stats I was surprised...better than I expected. But since 2010 the eye test says otherwise. When you watch a guy fail in the clutch on a nightly basis it dawns on you that Holliday feasts in games that the team scores 12 runs. He destroys bad pitching.

I said that he never lead the team in any positive stat. I will amend that: 2 years ago Matt Adams was leading the team in RBI with 84 I believe in August. He went down for the season and it took Matt a month to catch up! Other than that single stat he never lead in anything.

Since the departure of Pujols all the team leading stats go to Berkman, Beltran, Molina and Matt Carpenter.

To the poster that cried SOUR GRAPES; trust me...I have been down on MH and La Russa and Pujols and Matheny for YEARS on various forums. (Please don't let me get started on Pujols!)

Thread Information