+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Don't fall in love with Matt Holliday

Boom! 300

Not clutch...padding his stats...iwas this poster in the ARod thread circa 2005-2009?
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    This Administration reminds me of Reservoir Dogs...Evil white guys in suits, few roles for women and Mr. Orange lies through the whole thing.

Alright, boys and girls...fall in love with the guy. I won't even come back here with an "I told you so" thread when he is BENCHED before the ASG.

Now go out there and give the Cubs holy hell this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by str8carter View Post
    Alright, boys and girls...fall in love with the guy. I won't even come back here with an "I told you so" thread when he is BENCHED before the ASG.

Promise?

NYYF Legend

It's not a matter of "falling in love with this guy".

It's a matter of serving a purpose. Right now, Matt is filling his expected role very well. That 3 run HR last night, right after the Jays put up a 4 spot, was huge. Got the Yankees right back in the game, reversing the momentum the Jays established in the top of the 1st.

There have been a couple of other cases also, where he came through in a big spot.

Matt Holiday is 2017s version of our 2016 Carlos Beltran.

Released Outright
    *70* year old Ex-New York Psychologist now in Europe

OMG!! What am I gonna do now? I JUST read this thread for the first time. But I have ALREADY fallen in love with Mr. Holliday!! Now what? What do I do? What CAN I do? OMG I wish I had seen this thread much earlier.

I am now broken-hearted. I must now break-off my love affair with Mr. Holliday. I shall call my lawyer in the morning and have him draw up the divorce papers.

"Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Sure would like to see if he could play first as the human windmill Carter is driving me to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    The word you were looking for is retarded.
    2017 get with the times. Don't use the r word
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    2017 get with the times. Don't use the r word
    Right. Use the more acceptable "dumbass."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Why shouldn't we like Holliday? Guy has been excellent so far. Pretty much like how Beltran was before he ran into that wall at Tampa Bay his first season on the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    Sure would like to see if he could play first as the human windmill Carter is driving me to drink.
    I replied to you before the game, but I guess I failed to click SUBMIT. At any rate I said that MH knows the position but will be exposed on fast developing plays, and his footwork around 1st is a tad clumsy.

At the risk of beating the dead horse: The Holliday I saw in the game yesterday was the same as the one in St. Louis. Strikeout on a ball a foot outside, strikeout on a ball in the dirt. That's the MH that drives ya' crazy. He's a guess hitter. Commits too soon and can't hold up. The swing is too vicious.

Bottom line: the AL will have the book on him soon and Girardi will barely use him....but he won't DFA him. (pity)

NYYF Legend

I replied to you before the game, but I guess I failed to click SUBMIT. At any rate I said that MH knows the position but will be exposed on fast developing plays, and his footwork around 1st is a tad clumsy.

At the risk of beating the dead horse: The Holliday I saw in the game yesterday was the same as the one in St. Louis. Strikeout on a ball a foot outside, strikeout on a ball in the dirt. That's the MH that drives ya' crazy. He's a guess hitter. Commits too soon and can't hold up. The swing is too vicious.

Bottom line: the AL will have the book on him soon and Girardi will barely use him....but he won't DFA him. (pity)
    We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Why shouldn't we like Holliday? Guy has been excellent so far. Pretty much like how Beltran was before he ran into that wall at Tampa Bay his first season on the Yankees.
    You're right. .280 with 6 bombs ain't bad at all. His OBP is great as well. Could it be that DH'ing has improved him at the plate? Gave him more focus? (the K rate is high, but even when he was a real force it was high)

Enjoy the guy while it lasts.

The issue with Holliday wasn't that the Yankees couldn't get some production out of him. It was whether he could stay in the lineup at age 37 after missing 140+ games over the 2 previous seasons. Only 33 games into the season, this is still an unknown.
    Last edited by Bill Marsh; 05-14-17 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    The issue with Holliday wasn't that the Yankees couldn't get some production out of him. I was whether he could stay in the lineup at age 37 after missing 140+ games over the 2 previous seasons. Only 33 games into the season, this is still an unknown.
    I would think that missing that many games would be a good thing for an aging carcass. What puzzles me is why ANY GM would fork over 14 mil on such a risky prospect.

BTW: Is Sanchez back, and if so who does/will he replace in the lineup?

I would think that missing that many games would be a good thing for an aging carcass. What puzzles me is why ANY GM would fork over 14 mil on such a risky prospect.
    Seriously, did Holliday kick your dog or something?

They signed him to a 1/$13MM deal with some or all of these considerations:
    • Anticipation that as a DH only he could produce (149 OPS+ so far)
    • Short term rebound candidate that won't clog the roster in subsequent years as they try to get under the lux tax threshold and reinvest elsewhere
    • Veteran presence on a youth movement roster
    • Possible deadline deal trade chip if they weren't in it at the ASB and Holliday was raking (see Beltran)
    • No acquisition cost other than dollars

It was a solid risk/reward situation that so far has paid off. We get it. You don't like him. Go pee in someone else's cheerios, at least until he does what you think he's going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Seriously, did Holliday kick your dog or something?

They signed him to a 1/$13MM deal with some or all of these considerations:
    • Anticipation that as a DH only he could produce (149 OPS+ so far)
    • Short term rebound candidate that won't clog the roster in subsequent years as they try to get under the lux tax threshold and reinvest elsewhere
    • Veteran presence on a youth movement roster
    • Possible deadline deal trade chip if they weren't in it at the ASB and Holliday was raking (see Beltran)
    • No acquisition cost other than dollars

It was a solid risk/reward situation that so far has paid off. We get it. You don't like him. Go pee in someone else's cheerios, at least until he does what you think he's going to do.
    I completely agree with this. I'd also add that his role on this team is vastly different than that in St. Louis. He's not expected to carry the lineup nor is he playing the field on a regular basis. His primary role is to DH which I believe will allow him to remain reasonably healthy. If he can do that, his production will be there.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Retired_Doc View Post
    OMG!! What am I gonna do now? I JUST read this thread for the first time. But I have ALREADY fallen in love with Mr. Holliday!! Now what? What do I do? What CAN I do? OMG I wish I had seen this thread much earlier.

I am now broken-hearted. I must now break-off my love affair with Mr. Holliday. I shall call my lawyer in the morning and have him draw up the divorce papers.
    Starting to fall in love with you.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Starting to fall in love with you.
    Sick.

Girardi is falling into the same hole that LaRussa and Matheny languished in: batting the guy 3rd. What in the world qualifies him for that important spot?

Matt Holliday .285, 6HR

Starlin Castro .341, 6HR

Aaron Judge .315, 13 HR

Didi Gregorius .321, 1HR

Sanchez ?

He leads the team in NOTHING yet bats in the plumb spot. I assure you that this was noted by his former mates and was a bone of contention in the clubhouse. These stats will slowly separate and it will be clear that Matt's a bum.

Please show me another #3 hitter anywhere with a higher strikeout ratio. He's hitting better than his norm right now but has 30 S.O. in 95 AB's! Do you really want a 3 hole hitter that strikes out 150 times? The sooner Joe figures this out the better (it ain't rocket science)

Please show me another #3 hitter anywhere with a higher strikeout ratio.
    Jose Bautista 137 AB/ 48 K

Also Bautista Ks every 4.54 AB in his career- Holliday every 5.3

Oh, and Holliday is 8th in the AL in OBP.
    Leotardo. That's my f***in' legacy... No more, Butchie. No more of this.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Jose Bautista 137 AB/ 48 K

Also Bautista Ks every 4.54 AB in his career- Holliday every 5.3

Oh, and Holliday is 8th in the AL in OBP.
    Yes, but every time Holliday strikes out, a kitten dies.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yes, but every time Holliday strikes out, a kitten dies.
    And this is especially bad, because ...

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Game 1 Lineup:

Gardy
    Jellsy
    Matty
    Castroey
    Judgey
    DiDiie
    The Chaser
    Vornado the Human Fan
    Rominie
    Who is batting 3rd, Nokes ?, Alou?
    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    The guy you've been warned not to fall in love with.
    I only fall in love with Women.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    Not puppies??
    Maybe kittens. I am more of a cat person.

Thread Information