+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 24 25 26 27
Results 651 to 672 of 672
  1. #651

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sfischer89 View Post
    Yeah you're kind of reaching and cherry-picking stats here. Posey had a far superior OBP to Sanchez this year (.400 vs. .345), and Posey an overall better defender at this point in their careers. To say there is no comparison because Sanchez has more home runs and RBIs (which btw is more of a function to Posey having no good hitters around him) is a little off-base.


    Having said that, I'd much rather have a 24 year old Sanchez than a 30 year old Posey. In a few years this comparison might not be very close, but for 2017 it's certainly a debate as to who had a better season.
    the most home runs posey ever as hit is 24 most times he is in the teens in most times 550 at bats.. if sanchez had 550 at bats this year he have over 40 home runs.. their is no comparison offensively sanchez is far superior as a productive hitter...

  2. #652

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    Sanchez was the catcher for all eight games during the insane stretch overlapping the ALDS/ALCS in which NY went 6-2 against the top two teams in the league, with the two losses being 2-1 games.

    NY allowed a whopping total of 10 runs in these 8 games, so I'm pretty sure Sanchez is more than capable of the defensive part of his job, it's just a question of better consistency and maybe coming into next season slightly less bulked up.

  3. #653
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PetJetMo View Post
    I love Sanchez as a hitter (except for the swinging at bad pitches and striking out too often).

    However he is not a good defensive catcher. See 2017 playoffs... blocking pitches, dropping the ball on 3rd strikes, not tagging out runners. The only strong point defensively is his arm.
    actually, the defensive metrics and scouts generally consider him to be a good defensive catcher. he frames well and throws well. he has had blocking issues but he's still, at worse, an average D catcher.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  4. #654

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    I do think that maybe NY's biggest organizational weakness currently is catchers behind Sanchez at every level, upgrading from Romine externally has to be a very high priority this offseason.

  5. #655

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    I do think that maybe NY's biggest organizational weakness currently is catchers behind Sanchez at every level, upgrading from Romine externally has to be a very high priority this offseason.
    A weakness, yes, but I hardly think that replacing Romine will be a "very high priority" during the off season. Starting pitching will be the area of focus. If they can find a better alternative at BUC, I am sure Cashman will jump on it but it will take a seat in the back of the room compared to the starting staff, especially if Tanaka leaves.

  6. #656

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    Maybe, but if worst comes to worst, they have a ton of high-ceiling SPs in the system, no need to commit to a long-term deal they're not happy with. Even if Tanaka leaves and they don't get Otani, Severino/Gray/Montgomery plus the almost certain return of CC and German/Adams/Sheffield etc. leaves them in pretty good shape IMO.

    Catcher, on the other hand, they have nothing behind Sanchez really.

  7. #657

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Maybe, but if worst comes to worst, they have a ton of high-ceiling SPs in the system, no need to commit to a long-term deal they're not happy with. Even if Tanaka leaves and they don't get Otani, Severino/Gray/Montgomery plus the almost certain return of CC and German/Adams/Sheffield etc. leaves them in pretty good shape IMO.

    Catcher, on the other hand, they have nothing behind Sanchez really.
    sanchez will be 25 soon 7 to 10 years as catcher they don't need anyone behind him but a capable backup... lot's of teams wish to have sanchez as their catcher...

  8. #658

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    sanchez will be 25 soon 7 to 10 years as catcher they don't need anyone behind him but a capable backup... lot's of teams wish to have sanchez as their catcher...
    I'm aware of all of that and agree with it, but 1) guys get hurt, Sanchez missed a month this past season and 2) NY is loaded in almost every area, majors and minors, and IMO can afford to overpay on a 1-2 year deal to get a really strong backup C.

  9. #659

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    OK, this is exactly what I'm talking about, MLB Trade Rumors predicts where all of the FAs will go, and they have NY signing Alex Avila for 2/16 (and no, that wouldn't mess up getting under the cap, especially if they can get someone to pay part of Ellsbury's deal):

    "Alex Avila – Yankees. Two years, $16MM. Avila is the son of Tigers GM Al Avila. Alex spent the first seven years of his big league career with the Tigers, then played one year for the White Sox before returning to Detroit. The Cubs acquired him via trade this summer, and he served as Willson Contreras’ backup. Avila has shown an excellent bat at times, including this year as well as his banner 2011 season. He managed only 124 games from 2015-16 due to injury, but was able to avoid the DL this year. It’s eye-opening to see that among players with 300 plate appearances in 2017, the only one who posted a higher hard-contact rate than Avila’s 48.7 percent was former teammate J.D. Martinez. Avila, 31 in January, will likely join fellow catcher Welington Castillo in seeking a multiyear deal and regular playing time."

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...edictions.html

    A veteran backup like Avila who could teach Sanchez would also be very beneficial long-term IMO.

  10. #660

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    Two things I thought looking at that list.

    -If the listed price tags were spot-on, I'd pursue Santana before JD Martinez.

    -If Cain's price is accurate, the teams with the biggest CF needs would be nuts to trade for Ellsbury.

  11. #661
    NYYF MVP

    Stache Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Long Island, NY

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    OK, this is exactly what I'm talking about, MLB Trade Rumors predicts where all of the FAs will go, and they have NY signing Alex Avila for 2/16 (and no, that wouldn't mess up getting under the cap, especially if they can get someone to pay part of Ellsbury's deal):

    "Alex Avila – Yankees. Two years, $16MM. Avila is the son of Tigers GM Al Avila. Alex spent the first seven years of his big league career with the Tigers, then played one year for the White Sox before returning to Detroit. The Cubs acquired him via trade this summer, and he served as Willson Contreras’ backup. Avila has shown an excellent bat at times, including this year as well as his banner 2011 season. He managed only 124 games from 2015-16 due to injury, but was able to avoid the DL this year. It’s eye-opening to see that among players with 300 plate appearances in 2017, the only one who posted a higher hard-contact rate than Avila’s 48.7 percent was former teammate J.D. Martinez. Avila, 31 in January, will likely join fellow catcher Welington Castillo in seeking a multiyear deal and regular playing time."

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...edictions.html

    A veteran backup like Avila who could teach Sanchez would also be very beneficial long-term IMO.
    This has us losing Tanaka and replacing him with Sabathia at 2/$24MM. I don't put much stock in this.
    On the other hand, you have different fingers.


    my blog: http://nybaseballoffice.blogspot.com

  12. #662
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    "Alex Avila – Yankees. Two years, $16MM.

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...edictions.html
    I think, he picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue if he's predicting Avila gets a contract in that range.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  13. #663

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    OK, this is exactly what I'm talking about, MLB Trade Rumors predicts where all of the FAs will go, and they have NY signing Alex Avila for 2/16 (and no, that wouldn't mess up getting under the cap, especially if they can get someone to pay part of Ellsbury's deal):

    "Alex Avila – Yankees. Two years, $16MM. Avila is the son of Tigers GM Al Avila. Alex spent the first seven years of his big league career with the Tigers, then played one year for the White Sox before returning to Detroit. The Cubs acquired him via trade this summer, and he served as Willson Contreras’ backup. Avila has shown an excellent bat at times, including this year as well as his banner 2011 season. He managed only 124 games from 2015-16 due to injury, but was able to avoid the DL this year. It’s eye-opening to see that among players with 300 plate appearances in 2017, the only one who posted a higher hard-contact rate than Avila’s 48.7 percent was former teammate J.D. Martinez. Avila, 31 in January, will likely join fellow catcher Welington Castillo in seeking a multiyear deal and regular playing time."

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...edictions.html

    A veteran backup like Avila who could teach Sanchez would also be very beneficial long-term IMO.
    Avila is nothing special defensively. Not sure he is the type of BUC we need.

  14. #664
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    Avila is nothing special defensively. Not sure he is the type of BUC we need.
    He's a perfect backup. A guy who can hit, is decent behind the plate but has been injured when subjected to full time catching duties.

    If the Yanks could sign him for a reasonable deal I'd be thrilled. But not $8m per for him to be a back up
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  15. #665
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    Avila could probably start somewhere. You'd have to pay him that type of money to backup.

  16. #666
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Avila could probably start somewhere. You'd have to pay him that type of money to backup.
    I may be totally misreading the market and as I pointed out in the Tanaka trhead it only takes one GM to over pay.

    I still don't see him as a guy who is going to get a multi year offer in the $8M+ range.

    I think he'll be closer to $3M-$5M per range.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  17. #667

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    Short of overpaying, I can't really see any way to conceivably get a player like Avila who could be a starter elsewhere to hop aboard for whatever the BUC duties would be. I also can't see them paying close to half of that for a guy who would probably max out at 60 games.

  18. #668
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    MLB made it official: Sanchez and Judge get the Silver Slugger awards at their respective positions this year:


  19. #669
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    I guess they must be using the new math where 85 > 115.

    Any way congrats to Gary & Aaron, well deserved Silver Slugger Awards.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  20. #670
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I guess they must be using the new math where 85 > 115.

    Any way congrats to Gary & Aaron, well deserved Silver Slugger Awards.
    It does say "the highest total by a pair of Yankees teammates since 1961."

  21. #671
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    It does say "the highest total by a pair of Yankees teammates since 1961."
    Ah, I was just looking at the cut off image I guess.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  22. #672

    Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

    Essentially the Yankees felt Sanchez performed better behind the plate when first called to the majors in 2016, in no small part because he had been drilled regularly in the minors by former organizational catching instructor Josh Paul, especially in blocking balls in the dirt.
    Paul used a pitching machine to pump high-velocity fastballs, as well as breaking balls, in the dirt at Sanchez, and the Yankees believe it made a difference in what is the young catcher’s biggest weakness.
    However, sources say that Sanchez grew tired of doing the drills and expressed that to Girardi going into last season. The manager, perhaps wanting to keep his young catcher happy or simply avoid a conflict, told him he didn’t have to do all the extra work.

    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.3684543

    good article also about Boone's awareness of this situation and how he has made use of this knowledge.
    the 1890's socialist Player's League, founded by workers:
    socialistappeal.org/history-theory/us-history/959-the-1890-players-league.html

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts