+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    Won't get much credit, but he did a great job tonight with Tanaka's splitter.
    Certainly won’t get credit from Girardi.

NYYF Legend

Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

Another great night blocking them balls

So, we all just gonna ignore how amazing Sanchez was at blocking pitches this series?

So, we all just gonna ignore how amazing Sanchez was at blocking pitches this series?
    It's all a bit of a blur. I believe he had issues in the Wild Card game, and I know that he's been rock solid for at least the last three games of this series. I'm not remembering exactly when he flipped the switch.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

He was great with Tanaka.

The bat will heat up again, we all know that. But after a tough game 1, he was nails behind the plate.
    Hopefully he'll get it going with Sonny Gray in Houston
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa."

Odd that he didn't tag AJ out after he dropped the ball on that last strike. I wonder what would have happened if AJ suddenly ran to first while Sanchez was headed toward the mound.

In any event, he needs to work hard on catching (and blocking) the ball this off-season. Never saw a catcher continually stabbing at low pitches, with the heel of the glove facing downward while standing so immobile and flat-footed behind the plate. These are things we're taught in little league. Frustrating as hell to watch him sometimes.

NYYF Legend

No. I rode him hard about a month ago for being Swiss cheese and he was excellent this series. I knew he was capable of it but to be honest was starting to wonder when. VERY reassuring.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Odd that he didn't tag AJ out after he dropped the ball on that last strike.
    Right? I was screaming at the TV, THROW TO FIRST! But I guess after a few seconds of inaction by Jackson it became irrelevant. I believe the batter can't wait like 10 seconds and then make a break for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Right? I was screaming at the TV, THROW TO FIRST! But I guess after a few seconds of inaction by Jackson it became irrelevant. I believe the batter can't wait like 10 seconds and then make a break for it.
    did not have to tag him out since it was a called third strike and the hitter did not swing at the ball...

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    did not have to tag him out since it was a called third strike and the hitter did not swing at the ball...
    That's not true.

Nor is it true that there was a runner on first, as some said in the game thread (he'd advanced to second). Nor is it true that a runner on first would have mattered, as there were two outs.

We're lucky this didn't turn into a thing, but Sanchez absolutely needed to tag Jackson there. The whole Yankee team was celebrating on the mound and he was still in or near the batter's box. My understanding of the rule is that technically, he was out the moment he left the big circle around home plate on his way back to the dugout.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    That's not true.

Nor is it true that there was a runner on first, as some said in the game thread (he'd advanced to second). Nor is it true that a runner on first would have mattered, as there were two outs.

We're lucky this didn't turn into a thing, but Sanchez absolutely needed to tag Jackson there. The whole Yankee team was celebrating on the mound and he was still in or near the batter's box. My understanding of the rule is that technically, he was out the moment he left the big circle around home plate on his way back to the dugout.
    Correct - once the batter-runner abandons the play, he is declared out.
    Sanchez got lucky.
    Jackson was more caught up in arguing the strike call and didn't realize that he should run.
    "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.”—Hitman23

Y'all way too picky about this.

MLB Rule 5.05 When the Batter Becomes a Runner discusses this in length. I'm quoting the entire thing, but bolding the important points below:

5.05 (6.09) When the Batter Becomes a Runner:

(a) The batter becomes a runner when:
    (1) He hits a fair ball;
    Rule 5.05(a) Comment (Rule 2.00 (Ball) Comment): If the batter
    hits a pitch that touches the ground first, the ensuing action
    shall be the same as if he hit the ball in flight.
    (2) The third strike called by the umpire is not caught, providing
    (1) first base is unoccupied, or (2) first base is
    occupied with two out;
    Rule 5.05(a)(2) Comment (Rule 6.09(b) Comment): A batter
    who does not realize his situation on a third strike not caught,
    and who is not in the process of running to first base, shall be
    declared out once he leaves the dirt circle surrounding home
    plate.

The moment Jackson left the batters circle, Sanchez didn't need to tag him. He was automatically out. Now if Jackson actually ran, I'd bet that Sanchez would be aware of it by someone in the infield and he'd throw the ball to first.

NYYF Legend

Yeah... this is not a thing at all... Jackson gave himself up, so he's out. Sanchez even looked at him to see if he would run, Jackson didn't and backed off instead, so it was over right away. There was no need for him to throw to first.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nyy42 View Post
    Y'all way too picky about this.

MLB Rule 5.05 When the Batter Becomes a Runner discusses this in length. I'm quoting the entire thing, but bolding the important points below:

5.05 (6.09) When the Batter Becomes a Runner:

(a) The batter becomes a runner when:
    (1) He hits a fair ball;
    Rule 5.05(a) Comment (Rule 2.00 (Ball) Comment): If the batter
    hits a pitch that touches the ground first, the ensuing action
    shall be the same as if he hit the ball in flight.
    (2) The third strike called by the umpire is not caught, providing
    (1) first base is unoccupied, or (2) first base is
    occupied with two out;
    Rule 5.05(a)(2) Comment (Rule 6.09(b) Comment): A batter
    who does not realize his situation on a third strike not caught,
    and who is not in the process of running to first base, shall be
    declared out once he leaves the dirt circle surrounding home
    plate.

The moment Jackson left the batters circle, Sanchez didn't need to tag him. He was automatically out. Now if Jackson actually ran, I'd bet that Sanchez would be aware of it by someone in the infield and he'd throw the ball to first.
    When he didn't immediately tag him, AJ Perzynski was the first thing that flashed in my mind.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    When he didn't immediately tag him, AJ Perzynski was the first thing that flashed in my mind.
    yeah they clarified the rules after that game

They showed a camera on Todd who was screaming "tag him" and pointing while running toward the mound for the celebration. But since Jackson started walking away (as mentioned above) it didn't matter.

Really glad for Gary how good he looked behind the dish this week
    He gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Yeah... this is not a thing at all... Jackson gave himself up, so he's out. Sanchez even looked at him to see if he would run, Jackson didn't and backed off instead, so it was over right away. There was no need for him to throw to first.
    Should not even have to look at him. It should just be pure instinct for a catcher to tag him without thinking when you drop the ball on a 3rd strike. Probably got caught up in the moment of an epic comeback. Oh well. Whatever. I'm glad nothing came of it this time.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Heatseeker View Post
    Should not even have to look at him. It should just be pure instinct for a catcher to tag him without thinking when you drop the ball on a 3rd strike. Probably got caught up in the moment of an epic comeback. Oh well. Whatever. I'm glad nothing came of it this time.
    Guys just walk away on a dropped 3rd strike without being tagged a few times a year, against every catcher. It's silly to bring up Gary's instincts here.

Guys just walk away on a dropped 3rd strike without being tagged a few times a year, against every catcher. It's silly to bring up Gary's instincts here.
    Go watch the video again. In no way did Jackson walk away before Sanchez sprinted to the mound. We don't need to harp on this, but it was an absolute mistake for Sanchez not to tag him.

The fact that Frazier was screaming about this should make it clear that a mistake was made.

Go watch the video again. In no way did Jackson walk away before Sanchez sprinted to the mound. We don't need to harp on this, but it was an absolute mistake for Sanchez not to tag him.

The fact that Frazier was screaming about this should make it clear that a mistake was made.
    The concerning issue, I think, is WHY did Sanchez drop a called third strike...??? That wasn't swung at?....
    He does that too often.
    "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.”—Hitman23

NYYF Legend

I dunno - he doesn't exit the batter's circle, but he pretty demonstratively gives himself up. He backs off 2 steps and slumps and starts arguing with the ump. Sanchez looks at him and sees this, confirming he's not running and has no intention to, before walking to the mound. I've never seen this rule interpreted in a different way - allowing someone to sit in the batter's box and play possum while the infielders are running off the field.

I can't recall a single instance where a batter pretended to give themselves up on a dropped 3rd strike + 3rd out of an inning (especially last out of the game), argued with the ump for a few seconds, stood back, and then ran to first while the players were exiting the field. The ump would call them out anyway, and that would be a normal interpretation of the rules.

I agree that in a super technicality, a batter could hang out there for 8 seconds on a 3rd out, pretend to be out, and then run to first, but I think this is a silly thing to complain about not preparing for. Did you see Girardi, the actual manager and a former catcher that you probably liked the defense of (who has called out Sanchez in the past) yelling about this or even looking at the field? No, he was too busy hugging coaches and celebrating, because it was over. This strikes me as people not having any wild pitches/passed balls to complain about finding something new because they don't think Sanchez takes defense seriously enough.

I dunno - he doesn't exit the batter's circle, but he pretty demonstratively gives himself up. He backs off 2 steps and slumps and starts arguing with the ump. Sanchez looks at him and sees this, confirming he's not running and has no intention to, before walking to the mound. I've never seen this rule interpreted in a different way - allowing someone to sit in the batter's box and play possum while the infielders are running off the field.

I can't recall a single instance where a batter pretended to give themselves up on a dropped 3rd strike + 3rd out of an inning (especially last out of the game), argued with the ump for a few seconds, stood back, and then ran to first while the players were exiting the field. The ump would call them out anyway, and that would be a normal interpretation of the rules.

I agree that in a super technicality, a batter could hang out there for 8 seconds on a 3rd out, pretend to be out, and then run to first, but I think this is a silly thing to complain about not preparing for. Did you see Girardi, the actual manager and a former catcher that you probably liked the defense of (who has called out Sanchez in the past) yelling about this or even looking at the field? No, he was too busy hugging coaches and celebrating, because it was over. This strikes me as people not having any wild pitches/passed balls to complain about finding something new because they don't think Sanchez takes defense seriously enough.
    Your post got oddly personal toward the end there. Not sure if you're trying to pick a fight, but I'm sure as hell not looking for something to complain about. Time to drop this.

I think it was more of a case of a young player just getting caught up in the moment of the final out of an epic 0-2 comeback. As other posters have said, Frazier kept yelling, "Tag him! Tag him!" as he ran toward the pig-pile a the pitchers' mound. Whatever issues he has with defense or any perceived laziness, etc., are separate from this, which I think was merely an isolated lapse in judgment.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Please work on your craft this off season, OK?
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Thread Information