+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    im mainly looking at swing rate in different parts of the zone
    According to BB he's swinging at pitches low and out of the zone at a rate slightly higher than the second half of 2016 (38% - 33%).

It's a small sample size.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

thats not the search i ran but i cant do it right on the phone. will take a look at it later. previous statement was based on anecdotal individual game swing zones

thats not the search i ran but i cant do it right on the phone. will take a look at it later. previous statement was based on anecdotal individual game swing zones
    The biggest difference was that he's not totally dominating the belt high pitches like last year. However, it's such a small sample size.
    Last edited by Blazer; 05-29-17 at 05:47 PM.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

he got under a couple pitches today, so he is trying to hit them in the air. wait and see

Devoted Member

He needs to be moved from the 2 spot.

His 2 month performance last year was a fluke, IMO. He's really struggling right now. All the points about his GB rate and his getting attached in the lower zone is dead on.

I still think he's a young player with loads of potential, but he needs to stop being treated like an All-Star because of his 2 month performance. He was awful in September. And he's been awful for his time this year.

He's has massive expectations placed on him.

Move him down in the order. Put the onus of run production on Judge and Holliday. WhenGary starts going, then give him more responsibility

Cost the Yankees a run with his base running gaffe.

Quote Originally Posted by JBursch23 View Post
    He needs to be moved from the 2 spot.

His 2 month performance last year was a fluke, IMO. He's really struggling right now. All the points about his GB rate and his getting attached in the lower zone is dead on.

I still think he's a young player with loads of potential, but he needs to stop being treated like an All-Star because of his 2 month performance. He was awful in September. And he's been awful for his time this year.

He's has massive expectations placed on him.

Move him down in the order. Put the onus of run production on Judge and Holliday. WhenGary starts going, then give him more responsibility
    He's batting over .300 with an OBP over .400 since coming off the DL, and you say he has been awful? Seems like you are the one that are treating his 2 month performance last year like it should always be like that.

Now I agree that he should be moved down in the lineup not because he is struggling, but because Hicks is such an OBP monster right now.

I'm confused as to why he's batting second as well. I mean looking at the stats and talents on the roster I suppose a traditional roster construct is not totally necessary. Gardner, Hicks, Castro all have lead off or #2 skills. But I think getting Hicks or Castro up earlier to get on base and have Sanchez/Judge/Holliday in the middle to drive them in would be best.

uh he is hitting extremely ok after returning from injury. just a bit more homers and he'd still be a top 10 hitter in baseball level

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

uh he is hitting extremely ok after returning from injury. just a bit more homers and he'd still be a top 10 hitter in baseball level
    That's what I was thinking.

Just missing the uber power he showed last year.

He'll pick it up but at this point 33 yr old Brian McCann is having a better season. Albeit for a lot more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    He'll pick it up but at this point 33 yr old Brian McCann is having a better season. Albeit for a lot more money.
    i'm talking about after he came off the DL

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    According to BB he's swinging at pitches low and out of the zone at a rate slightly higher than the second half of 2016 (38% - 33%).

It's a small sample size.
    here's the search i ran

sanchez is at 22.46% in terms of swinging at pitches in the lower 3rd of the zone + lower. this same search has him at 19.77% last year.
    in terms of putting low balls in play, he's at 8.94% this year vs 6.16% last year

not that big of a difference i guess but it's been notable from the games i watched. these numbers also tend to stabilize quickly.

i basically want sanchez to follow the flyball revolution and unleash his power.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/joey-...ball-movement/

Suspended

Hicksy should still be batting 2nd. Gary in Castro's spot.

NYYF Legend

Really good article on Gary's power decline. All about that launch angle: http://www.pinstripealley.com/2017/5...s-launch-angle
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

^launch angle on low zone pitches is generally lower than launch angle on pitches higher in the zone. it could be a swing choice problem.

specifically this stat right here,

in terms of putting low balls in play, he's at 8.94% this year vs 6.16% last year

Released Outright
    *70* year old Ex-New York Psychologist now in Europe

Sorry fellas but Gary will never hit .290 and smash 35 HRs. It's just not gonna happen.

Above average player? Yes, I think so. But not an all-star.

he's perfectly capable of smashing 35 homers if he just controlled the strikezone a bit more and don't get himself out on pitches he can't drive.

sometimes plate coverage is bad if it means you are hitting into bad contact

he's basically a bit too jumpy both at the plate and on defense, trying to do too much/thinking he can do harder plays than is beneficial. just need to calm down and wait for his pitches to punish,

he's perfectly capable of smashing 35 homers if he just controlled the strikezone a bit more and don't get himself out on pitches he can't drive.

sometimes plate coverage is bad if it means you are hitting into bad contact

he's basically a bit too jumpy both at the plate and on defense, trying to do too much/thinking he can do harder plays than is beneficial. just need to calm down and wait for his pitches to punish,
    A good, and fair, appraisal of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired_Doc View Post
    Sorry fellas but Gary will never hit .290 and smash 35 HRs. It's just not gonna happen.

Above average player? Yes, I think so. But not an all-star.
    Why not? He's only 24 and has play d just 81 major league games so far, in which he's batted .285 with 24 HR. He'll never get better than he's been at ages 23-24?

Released Outright
    *70* year old Ex-New York Psychologist now in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Why not? He's only 24 and has play d just 81 major league games so far, in which he's batted .285 with 24 HR. He'll never get better than he's been at ages 23-24?
    I sure hope you're right, Bill. Me? For some reason I'm skeptical. Maybe it's because Girardi has him batting in the wrong position. You don't bat your catcher second unless he's a speed merchant. Hicks is an OBP machine. If Gary batted later in the order I think there would be less pressure on the young man.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired_Doc View Post
    I sure hope you're right, Bill. Me? For some reason I'm skeptical. Maybe it's because Girardi has him batting in the wrong position. You don't bat your catcher second unless he's a speed merchant. Hicks is an OBP machine. If Gary batted later in the order I think there would be less pressure on the young man.
    Yes, batting the catcher 2nd is unorthodox. Odd for a by-the-book manager.

I was a defender of Hicks when he was getting all the criticism last year. However, I think the pendulum may be swinging too far the other way. He may be truly transformed and reaching the potential that was expected of him when he was a first round draft pick. Personally, I'd like to see a couple more months of this level of production before I come to any conclusions about what this means about his career and performance going forward. I can't really fault Girardi for moving slowly on putting him higher in the batting order. There are a couple of different philosophies on how to approach this. One would be to play the hot hand. Girardi doesn't seem to be from this school. He seems to be closer to the school that would prefer a set lineup & stick to it. That would mean going with players' longer trends. Either way seems to be just a preference because on any given day, it's hard to predict where production will come from. Heck, even Headley got a couple of hits and an RBI last night.

Clearly should be hitting 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by LouieLouie40 View Post
    Clearly should be hitting 2nd.
    Who should be hitting 2nd?

NYYF Legend

Thread Information