+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Re: 2017 Official Gary Sanchez thread

I think that is 4 3 pitch Ks in the last 2 days.

Hope its not injury related. KOW.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    I think that is 4 3 pitch Ks in the last 2 days.

Hope its not injury related. KOW.
    Probably not but for the sake of discussion, he did get hit in the face by a foul ball a few days ago.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Probably not but for the sake of discussion, he did get hit in the face by a foul ball a few days ago.
    Ahhhh....yup. Possibly/probably the cause.

Don't even know what the right protocol would be for him to "get better" after that.

This guy gets more days off than LeBron James.

The repeat foul tips to his face mask, arm, etc... The wear and tear is probably not helping. I'm okay with him getting some rest. Hopefully he gets some DH duties too.

Most clubs have there catcher only play 3-4 days in a row then the backup. Some teams even less so no big deal having off as a catcher it is a must.

i mean even if this tanaka gamecalling stuff is real, you just ask romine to teach that stuff to sanchez. shouldn't be a serious issue in terms of playing time.

sanchez is a superior framer to romine, who is pretty bad at defense.
    Last edited by awy; 05-27-17 at 01:14 PM.

Released Outright
    *70* year old Ex-New York Psychologist now in Europe

Sadly, Sanchez is simply not the player he was last year. Why? I don't know. Maybe he needs serious rest. Or maybe last year was a fluke??

I know one thing: NO WAY this guy should be batting second. Hicks is the team leader at OBP.
    Hicks should bat second.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired_Doc View Post
    Sadly, Sanchez is simply not the player he was last year. Why? I don't know. Maybe he needs serious rest. Or maybe last year was a fluke??

I know one thing: NO WAY this guy should be batting second. Hicks is the team leader at OBP.
    Hicks should bat second.
    i used to like you. Not too long ago.

I agree about him batting second though. And I question where Judge bats from game to game as well.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    i used to like you. Not too long ago.

I agree about him batting second though. And I question where Judge bats from game to game as well.

Well I'm surprised/impressed that you liked me at all, regardless of when! Most ppl don't.

I kinda would like to see Judge hitting cleanup.

Hicks should bat second.
    And there's no way that long term Hicks is the player that he's been in limited time so far this year. Sanchez had a hit streak in the last couple of months last year, and Hicks has had a hot streak for a couple of months to start this season.

So, the manager had to decide who's a better bet moving forward.

Well I'm surprised/impressed that you liked me at all, regardless of when! Most ppl don't.

I kinda would like to see Judge hitting cleanup.
    You're an entertaining and quirky dude. Don't change.

Agree on Judge. Perhaps even 3rd, with Sanchez behind him. I feel like the top half should look something like
    Hicks (1)
    Castro (2)
    Judge (3)
    Sanchez (4)
    Holliday (5)
    ”What people call love is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades.”

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    And there's no way that long term Hicks is the player that he's been in limited time so far this year. Sanchez had a hit streak in the last couple of months last year, and Hicks has had a hot streak for a couple of months to start this season.

So, the manager had to decide who's a better bet moving forward.
    You're negating Hicks' speed vs Sanchez', in addition to Hicks' current amazing OPB position. This warrants him hitting ahead of Gary.

You're negating Hicks' speed vs Sanchez', in addition to Hicks' current amazing OPB position. This warrants him hitting ahead of Gary.
    Apparently it doesn't.

Can these foul tips give Sanchez a concussion?

I really don't want him to be a catcher his whole career. I just don't

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay1123 View Post
    Can these foul tips give Sanchez a concussion?

I really don't want him to be a catcher his whole career. I just don't
    Repeated hits to the head/concussions ended Mike Matheny's career, so yeah the risk is definitely there.
    He gone!

yea definitely a concern. go easy gary and stay healthy

His pitch selection seems to me worse this year. He seems to be swinging at a lot of balls and taking a lot of strikes. Am I wrong about this?

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    His pitch selection seems to me worse this year. He seems to be swinging at a lot of balls and taking a lot of strikes. Am I wrong about this?
    you are not wrong. he's mainly swinging at low pitches and sometimes even low and outside.

it's very bad but i guess he wants to hit groundballs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NYYF Legend

Everyone here agrees that logically speaking there's no way Sanchez puts up the type of numbers he put up in 2 months in 2016 - yet do I detect some disappointment that he's not?

I think he becomes a very solid #5 hitter. I also think Judge has a higher ceiling & might be best suited for the #3 spot. It'll help both of these guys if Greg Bird (LH) is the real deal and hits between them.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

there's a vast difference between complaining vaguely about declined performance, and identifying areas where his approach etc are different and could be causing worse than expected performance.

hitting more balls in the air would help a great deal, and the higher groundball rate this season for him is largely caused by him swinging at way more low pitches. he was below 19% on that last year, good for top 30 in the league. this year he's been hitting like hosmer

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    there's a vast difference between complaining vaguely about declined performance, and identifying areas where his approach etc are different and could be causing worse than expected performance.

hitting more balls in the air would help a great deal, and the higher groundball rate this season for him is largely caused by him swinging at way more low pitches. he was below 19% on that last year, good for top 30 in the league. this year he's been hitting like hosmer
    All valid points, but even HOFers can't sustain the mechanics and performances they repeat and produce when they're hot. IMO it's pointless to discuss areas where their approach could be different - my guess is it's an endless discussion & none of it is a secret to them or their hitting coaches.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

His GB% last year in the second half was 49%. This year it's 44.3%. Last year 40% of his FB were HR, which is unsustainable. This year it's a very respectable 20%.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

im mainly looking at swing rate in different parts of the zone

NYYF Legend

this year he's been hitting like hosmer
    Somehow I read this as "hitting like Homer."

Thread Information