+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    The first series win on the road!! Against the World Champions !!!

Now 7-6 for the season. Baby steps. Severino (the future) against Lester (the past) Sunday night. If we don't see Holliday @ 1B then Girardi is a liar. No Need to sit Sanchez, but I can see Girardi giving Judge the night off and putting Hicks in RF. Maybe even Torreyes @ 3rd with Headley getting the night off. We don't say this too often, but Betances probably needs some work.

Get out the brooms!
    It would be awesome to sweep the Cubs, especially with Lester on the mound.

The first series win on the road!! Against the World Champions !!!

Now 7-6 for the season. Baby steps. Severino (the future) against Lester (the past) Sunday night. If we don't see Holliday @ 1B then Girardi is a liar. No Need to sit Sanchez, but I can see Girardi giving Judge the night off and putting Hicks in RF. Maybe even Torreyes @ 3rd with Headley getting the night off. We don't say this too often, but Betances probably needs some work.

Get out the brooms!
    Why sit Judge against a lefty? Isn't Ellsbury still hurt anyway?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    It would not be wise to sit Judge tonight. Get the RH batters in there.

Gardy (L) LF
    Hickup's (S) CF
    Holliday (R) 1B
    Castro (R) 2B
    Judge (R) RF
    Sanchez (R) C
    DiDi (L) SS
    Headley (S) 3B
    Sevy P
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    It would not be wise to sit Judge tonight. Get the RH batters in there.
    My bad - I forgot Lester is a lefty. Man, can't get nothing past you guys :-)

Ellsbury sits. Hicks Judge & Gardner in the OF would be fine. Boy I was looking at some stats earlier - the OF as a whole is really putting up some numbers!

There was a blurp on RAB about Tyler Austin starting to work out. Guess he'll need about 2-3 weeks to be ready. I hope Carter is looking over his shoulder.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

8-6 on the road folks. They are surpassing all expectations right now. Who would've predicted a sweep @ Wrigley? I was prepared to lose 2 out of 3. They are finding all different ways to win, but gotta credit the consistently good pitching they are getting.

Probably looking at a tired, listless group of players tonight against the Reds. Then again, with the offense being so much younger this year, maybe not.

Tanaka needs to go at least 7 innings and hopefully even more. He'll be facing former Yankee farmhand, RHer Rookie Davis (what a great name!)

Sanchez could take a lot of pressure of Judge if he can power one out tonight.

Headley looks like he may be a bit tired, maybe he sits?

Carter probably back @ 1st, woe is me!
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

I expect at least 1 "Scranton Shuttle" move tonight. Shreve or Holder going down, although so far, neither one deserves it.

I would definitely release Layne to get another pitcher up, presumably Green who is due to start. I would take a chance that Tanaka could go at least half of the game. Betances could close.

I also might start Refsnyder, probably at first, and Torreyes at third. Maybe Holliday at first and Refsnyder in the OF because of the long game last night.

NYYF Legend

9-6 road record folks. Me likes!

Different players contributing every day gives them all confidence and lessens the pressure to produce individually. They are building a true team effort.

Anyone got one of those mini-brooms for 2-game sweeps? Enjoy the game tonight!

NYYF Legend

Oh well I'll sign up for. 4-1 road trip all season long. 9-7 on the road now as the Bombers head home for a big 4 game series against the Houston Astros who are playing well.

A couple of thoughts:

At 21-10, the Yanks have 131 games remaining. A .500 record gives them 86 or 87 wins. Slightly better than .500 gets them close to the 90-win range, which makes them division contenders.

Besides playing .500 ball on the road and winning 50 games at home, It's key for them to play winning baseball within their division. I think the rivalry with the Red Sox will be revived this season, and we'll be watching some great games this summer.

Enjoy the homestand!

NYYF Legend

Enjoy the homestand!
    It's actually a short one - just the 4 games with Houston.

NYYF Legend

Well I was hoping for a series split against the Stros and had Tanaka pitched like the ace he's supposed to be they'd have probably gotten one. Oh well. Back on the road again - 3 @ KC against the Royals then 3 in Tampa vs. the Rays.

4-2 and 2 series wins would be great. If the Royals' offense can be quieted by Pineda, Sabathia & Montgomery and Severino,Tanaka and Pineda can pitch like we know they can, then we'll be looking at a 13-9 road record with about 1/4 of the season over. It'll be a good time to forecast what the remaining 75% of the season will look like.

Enjoy the off day.

NYYF Legend

Well I was hoping for a series split against the Stros and had Tanaka pitched like the ace he's supposed to be they'd have probably gotten one. Oh well. Back on the road again - 3 @ KC against the Royals then 3 in Tampa vs. the Rays.

4-2 and 2 series wins would be great. If the Royals' offense can be quieted by Pineda, Sabathia & Montgomery and Severino,Tanaka and Pineda can pitch like we know they can, then we'll be looking at a 13-9 road record with about 1/4 of the season over. It'll be a good time to forecast what the remaining 75% of the season will look like.

Enjoy the off day.

I think you have the rotation a bit out of sequence. I believe CC is pitching Tuesday in KC. That means he lines up to pitch Sunday in Tampa.

The way he has been going lately, I am not very encouraged having him start twice on this trip.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    I believe CC is pitching Tuesday in KC. That means he lines up to pitch Sunday in Tampa. The way he has been going lately, I am not very encouraged having him start twice on this trip.
    You're right. I hope Girardi sees the advantage of pushing Pineda up and having him start twice on this trip.

NYYF Legend

Ok CC against Jason Hammel tonight to start the series, the road trip, and 20 games in 20 days with no days off. A series win can point the Bombers in the right direction.

This Royals team has been playing well as of late but still looks pretty beatable. Averaging 3.2 runs per game, the offense is last in the majors and can be labeled undependable. They swing at a lot of pitches, both in and out of the strike zone. Sounds like Yankee pitchers need to "throw strikes that look like balls, and throw balls that look like strikes".

Hammel should be hittable. I hope Sabathia isn't. Enjoy the game!

NYYF Legend

10-7 road record. Yay! Sure would like to see the good Big Mike show up tonight and the Yankee offense to bring Vargas back down to earth. Roughing him up might even play with his confidence when they face him again at home next week.

Castro (don't you love the way he's hitting to RF this season?) is consistently in beast mode, and so many others in the lineup are in and out of that mode on a daily basis. Everyone is contributing. This is a legitimately good offense right now, and they're not just scoring in Yankee Stadium, like other Yankee teams from the past. They've scored 85 runs in 17 road games (5.0 runs per game).

Bold Prediction for tonight: Carter contributes again!

NYYF Legend

11-8 road record after a nice series win @ KC. I thought they were going to sweep, but it's pretty hard to sweep. I've got to give Danny Duffy some credit, he had some nasty stuff last night. I'm also starting to worry about Montgomery and all his BBs - I think he's averaging over 4 per 9IP? Chad Green did a nice job last night - Girardi needs to work him while he's trying to impress, not treat him like a spare part.

I was happy to see the Bombers hit Vargas hard on Wednesday night. A real confidence-builder for future matches against hot pitchers.

I'm hoping for 2 out of 3 in Tampa. Enjoy your day!

NYYF Legend

11-9 road record for the season, 2-2 on this road trip. I'm still hoping for a 4-2 road trip, so they have to win today & tomorrow. Last night's game was a bit disappointing, given the options coach Rob Thomson had going into the late innings. It would have been nice to see Severino pitch a little longer in the air-conditioning after only 89 pitches. It would have been nice to see him use some pinch hitters in the 9th. Second guessing is pretty easy to do though.

Tanaka on the mound today against righty Matt Andriese, who beat the Yanks in the Bronx back in April and is off to a pretty decent start. Tanaka really needs to give this team a quality start today. I hope his pride motivates him and his focus gives him the command he needs to dominate. I'd like to see some intensity in his demeanor.

Today is Game#40. With just about 25% of the season gone, tomorrow I'm going to look at how some of the players' stats will look over the course of the season. It's time to stop saying "It's early in the season". The Yanks need to decide who they are and where they stand. Personally I think it's a winable division. 13 games against the Orioles, Blue Jays and Red Sox beginning Memorial Day should help establish their true identity : Contenders or Pretenders?

NYYF Legend

11-10 road record for the season, 2-3 on this road trip.

The Yanks have the best road record in the division right now! (Trying to find a silver lining)

Tanaka really let us down yesterday. I am convinced the Yanks need to make a big deal and go get Jose Quintana, who is arguably the best starting pitcher available right now. Waiting until July might be too late. I think it's important to be proactive re: the starting rotation - before things get worse.

Beating Chris Archer today I believe is very important for the team's confidence-level. Let's hope the offense figures him out early and that CC finds something within himself that will keep us in the game. I suppose Warren and Green are available for multi-innings, and Clippard/Betances to close it out. C'mon, CC, give us 5 strong!

75% of the season left. Here's some projections:

On pace to win 96 games! October baseball is almost guaranteed if they can sustain .600 ball.

248 HRs! 920 RS! 120 SB!

No complaints whatsoever with the offense, better results than expected! Everyone is contributing, and there are different heroes every day - this is true of most contending clubs!

Judge is on pace for 60HR, 120 RBI, 140 RS, (and 176 Ks) - ROY winner? NO DOUBT!

Holliday: 32HR, 108 RBI!
    Castro: 28 HR, 108 RBI, 124 RS, 40 doubles, 232 hits! All-Star?
    Hicks: 28 HR, 76 RBI, 92 RS in 372 ABs!
    Gardner: 28 HR, 120 RS!
    Headley: 40 doubles
    !

Gotta get some pitching problems addressed. Enjoy your Sunday!

A win today would make 3-3 on the road trip and 12-10 overall on the year. If they play 500 ball on the road and keep up this home winning percentage, that's about 95 wins. Still think 500 on the road and 600 at home gets a wild card this year but I want the division. Just not sure 90 wins is getting it this year.

There's a lot of baseball left but I don't think you'll see the tops of the standings change much. Aside from Minnesota. I think the Yankees and Os will be top 2 in the East. I think the Rangers and Astros will be top 2 in west. Cleveland will win the central. Tigers will win around 85 but I think the yanks and rangers are better
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place with you

NYYF Legend

12-10 road record for the season, 3-3 on this completed road trip.

CC showed some leadership again yesterday, kept the team in the game as long as he could. The bullpen did a nice shutdown job for 4 innings. What a catch by Judge!!!

Okay now for a 7-game homestand, 4 vs. Royals and 3 against the A's. 6-1 would be GREAT, 5-2 would be VERY GOOD, 4-3 would be missing an opportunity. Quality starts from the rotation will be the key. Beating Vargas again tonight will be very uplifting. I'm pretty confident the offense will score close to 40 runs for the week.

Enjoy the homestand, and let's go to Baltimore next Monday with a 3 game lead!

Connecticut Transplant TheDozen's Avatar

I'm OK with playing regular season games in Tampa...as long as they're at Steinbrenner Field
    Beat the Mets, beat the Mets
    Step right up and beat the Mets

13-10 woohoo 😎

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    13-10 woohoo 😎

????????????

They beat the Royals last night in Yankee Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    ????????????

They beat the Royals last night in Yankee Stadium.
    Haha yeah you're right. For some reason my west coast butt thought it was at KC

NYYF Legend

Yanks started a 7-game road trip yesterday in Baltimore and lost to the O's 3-2. Kind of a frustrating game considering the Bombers had some opportunities to score more runs, but overall their offense was still pretty non-existent, except for the ever-dangerous Aarons. Holliday, Castro, Gregorius and of course Headley seem to be struggling lately - inconsistent contact at best. Carter is daring management to make the decision that we're all hoping for. Too many pitches thrown by Montgomery too early in the game, and he struggled with his command (again). I suppose normal growing pains for a rookie starter against a pretty potent offense. Nice comeback appearances by Holder and Shreve as they shut the O's down and kept the team in the game.

12-11 on the road YTD. A very important game today if the club wants to avoid an 8th straight series loss @ Camden Yards. Luis Severino will battle RH Chris Tillman. Both the Orioles and Tillman are not at their best right now, so the Bombers need to take advantage of the situation. I'm pretty confident they come out on top tonight, forcing a rubber game on Wednesday.

Enjoy the game!

Thread Information