+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 264
  1. #226
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    36-38.

    Only 7 road games left, including today's & the 3 @ Citi Field. The other 3 are in Toronto. 5-2 gets them over .500 for the season. If they take care of business @ home they'll certainly win a WC spot - hopefully a home game against the Twins.

    Today it's Jordan Montgomery against RH A.J. Griffin. Montgomery should have the "A" bullpen behind him. It will be nice to have a lead after 5 then go to our strength/(not always our) strength.

    Enjoy the game.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  2. #227

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Griffin is a scrub, yet has awesome numbers against us to the surprise of no one here I imagine. Time to turn that around and hit him hard. Let's go, offense!

  3. #228
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    37-38.

    I can smell it. I can also smell a Red Sox loss tonight. 2 games out with 18 to go? Very do-able.

    Sonny Gray against a lefty not named Archer. Me likes. Sure would be nice for Gray to go 8 strong in a blowout.

    Enjoy the game.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  4. #229

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    37-38.

    I can smell it. I can also smell a Red Sox loss tonight. 2 games out with 18 to go? Very do-able.

    Sonny Gray against a lefty not named Archer. Me likes. Sure would be nice for Gray to go 8 strong in a blowout.

    Enjoy the game.
    Archer is right handed...

  5. #230
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Yankee road record: 39-39. Red Sox road record: 38-35

    Ok this post is a little premature, but just something I'm thinking about.

    Yanks have 3 road games in Toronto next week. Winning 2 of 3 gets them 41-40.
    I think if they can win each remaining series they'll win the division.

    Red Sox just started their 9-game road trip & have 8 games left. If they can get beat 5 out of the next 8, I think the Yanks will take the division.

    If it happens to play out this way, then road records for these teams will be even. The division will be decided by how they play at home - a strength each team possesses.

    High drama at its best.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  6. #231
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Yankee road record: 39-39. Red Sox road record: 38-35

    Ok this post is a little premature, but just something I'm thinking about.

    Yanks have 3 road games in Toronto next week. Winning 2 of 3 gets them 41-40.
    I think if they can win each remaining series they'll win the division.

    Red Sox just started their 9-game road trip & have 8 games left. If they can get beat 5 out of the next 8, I think the Yanks will take the division.

    If it happens to play out this way, then road records for these teams will be even. The division will be decided by how they play at home - a strength each team possesses.

    High drama at its best.
    The Yankees are 3 out with 2 weeks left. The can't just win series anymore, especially since they have no more games remaining with Boston. They need at least 2 series sweeps over the next 2 weeks. And still must win the other series outright. If the Yankees win every series, but do not sweep, that means they could go as high as 9-4 the rest of the way. That gets them to 91 wins. Boston would need to go 7-6 to finish 1 game ahead.

  7. #232
    Senior Member
    Carpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    SoCal

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    The Yankees are 3 out with 2 weeks left. The can't just win series anymore, especially since they have no more games remaining with Boston. They need at least 2 series sweeps over the next 2 weeks. And still must win the other series outright. If the Yankees win every series, but do not sweep, that means they could go as high as 9-4 the rest of the way. That gets them to 91 wins. Boston would need to go 7-6 to finish 1 game ahead.
    We don't need to have a better record than Boston with the same record the division will be ours, remember that we have the edge in the season series against them

  8. #233
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Itu-SP Brasil

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Quote Originally Posted by Carpi View Post
    We don't need to have a better record than Boston with the same record the division will be ours, remember that we have the edge in the season series against them
    Nope.


    In case of tie for the Division, now there is a Game 163 to decide Division vs. WC. Head-to-head season series record only matters when the only thing at stake is HFA. This changed when they went to the one-game wild card play-in format.

    If one game is needed to break a tie for a playoff berth between two teams, it will be played on the Monday after the scheduled end to the regular season, hosted by the team that won the season series against the other. That applies to determining a division championship whether or not the losing team would still qualify as a Wild Card.

    Home-field advantage is determined first by head-to-head records, then by the higher winning percentage in intradivision games. If a further tiebreaker is needed, it's the best winning percentage in the last half of intraleague games.
    http://m.mlb.com/news/article/595271...breaker-rules/

    This really sucks for the loser, who will lose a starting pitcher in the tiebreaker, plus BP usage, and then again in the Wild Card game. Even if they survive, it's a severe disadvantage in the Divison series against an outright Division Champ who played neither extra game.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  9. #234
    Senior Member
    Carpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    SoCal

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Nope.


    In case of tie for the Division, now there is a Game 163 to decide Division vs. WC. Head-to-head season series record only matters when the only thing at stake is HFA. This changed when they went to the one-game wild card play-in format.



    http://m.mlb.com/news/article/595271...breaker-rules/

    This really sucks for the loser, who will lose a starting pitcher in the tiebreaker, plus BP usage, and then again in the Wild Card game. Even if they survive, it's a severe disadvantage in the Divison series against an outright Division Champ who played neither extra game.
    Thanks for the explanation, didn't know this

    As you said this really sucks for the loser, they will go to the WC game without their best pitcher and if somehow they win that game they will go to the division series without their two best SP in the home of the best record in the league. Ughhh

  10. #235

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Nope.


    In case of tie for the Division, now there is a Game 163 to decide Division vs. WC. Head-to-head season series record only matters when the only thing at stake is HFA. This changed when they went to the one-game wild card play-in format.



    http://m.mlb.com/news/article/595271...breaker-rules/

    This really sucks for the loser, who will lose a starting pitcher in the tiebreaker, plus BP usage, and then again in the Wild Card game. Even if they survive, it's a severe disadvantage in the Divison series against an outright Division Champ who played neither extra game.
    This is one of many reasons why the WC2 is a stupid addition to the sport. Being a WC team involved in a division race is worse than being an inferior WC team who can just rest up.

  11. #236

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    This is one of many reasons why the WC2 is a stupid addition to the sport. Being a WC team involved in a division race is worse than being an inferior WC team who can just rest up.
    Not to mention the advantages that go to a division winner who finishes a little over .500 in a bad division. A team can play .600 ball in the wrong division and still get relegated to a WC spot while a .500 division winner gets treated like royalty.

    The whole point of the WC was to even the scales when odd ball situations arrive. When they introduced the 2nd WC, they should have put the 2 teams with the worst records into the WC game regardless of division titles. At a minimum, it should have been the 2nd WC vs the team with the worst record among the other 4.

  12. #237

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Anyone ripping the WC2 is clueless (no offense). It's a 162 game season, and in order to keep relevant into September the league needs more postseason teams.

    Obviously it sucks for the Yankees this year, but it's on the team for losing the division.

  13. #238

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Quote Originally Posted by TorreFan66 View Post
    Anyone ripping the WC2 is clueless (no offense). It's a 162 game season, and in order to keep relevant into September the league needs more postseason teams.

    Obviously it sucks for the Yankees this year, but it's on the team for losing the division.
    No offense, but your take is monumentally stupid.

  14. #239

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Quote Originally Posted by TorreFan66 View Post
    Anyone ripping the WC2 is clueless (no offense). It's a 162 game season, and in order to keep relevant into September the league needs more postseason teams.

    Obviously it sucks for the Yankees this year, but it's on the team for losing the division.
    I don't think it's clueless to value competitive fairness over late regular season relevance. One could even argue the opposite (no offense).

  15. #240

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Quote Originally Posted by TorreFan66 View Post
    Anyone ripping the WC2 is clueless (no offense). It's a 162 game season, and in order to keep relevant into September the league needs more postseason teams.

    Obviously it sucks for the Yankees this year, but it's on the team for losing the division.
    Did you read my post?

    I understand the reasons to stay relevant in September. My proposals would enhance that. The barely .500 team witha big lead in a weak division, for example, has nothing to play for in September. But, they suddenly have something to play for when threatened with descent into the 1-game WC play-in game.

    If you're going to disagree, please do soon the substance of what was said. Is this where I call you "clueless (no offense)"?

  16. #241
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    [Moderator]


    If I wanted to see members of our Community call each other "clueless" or "monumentally stupid," I'd be over in the Trump thread.


    Let's try to disagree without being disrespectful, okay?


    [/Moderator]

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  17. #242
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    The entire second WC system was put in really so more teams could sell playoff tickets. And then bank the interest before they have to refund it. Another legacy by Selig. The greatest"Owners Commissioner" ever. It's really a joke that your entire season is decided by one game. And has been pointed out in some cases the second WC is in a better position if the first WC team is competing for the Division title.

  18. #243
    NYYF Legend

    CalYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Palmdale, CA

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    The entire second WC system was put in really so more teams could sell playoff tickets. And then bank the interest before they have to refund it. Another legacy by Selig. The greatest"Owners Commissioner" ever. It's really a joke that your entire season is decided by one game. And has been pointed out in some cases the second WC is in a better position if the first WC team is competing for the Division title.
    I donít agree that it was put in only to sell more playoff tickets, but I donít like the one game playoff. Baseball is built around the series. In the event of a tie it should go to the team who won the season series, especially with all the rounds of playoffs now.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

  19. #244
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    The entire second WC system was put in really so more teams could sell playoff tickets. And then bank the interest before they have to refund it. Another legacy by Selig. The greatest"Owners Commissioner" ever. It's really a joke that your entire season is decided by one game. And has been pointed out in some cases the second WC is in a better position if the first WC team is competing for the Division title.
    For three straight years (2002-2004), the Wild Card team won the World Series. It seemed to have cheapened the importance of being in first place after a 162-game season. Other than home-field, there were no disadvantages to going to the playoffs as a second place team.


    The one-game playoff creates a pretty significant disadvantage to entering the traditional playoffs as a less-than first place team, as you need to put a starter on the mound in a must-win game just to get there.


    We've reduced a 162-game season to a best-of-seven series for decades, and no one decries that as a joke. I don't object to a one-game play-in as a penalty of sorts for advancing to the playoffs without having first won your division.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  20. #245

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Did you read my post?

    I understand the reasons to stay relevant in September. My proposals would enhance that. The barely .500 team witha big lead in a weak division, for example, has nothing to play for in September. But, they suddenly have something to play for when threatened with descent into the 1-game WC play-in game.

    If you're going to disagree, please do soon the substance of what was said. Is this where I call you "clueless (no offense)"?
    I did not read your post initially, but I disagree with the premise of forcing a division champion to play in the wild card game.

  21. #246
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    For three straight years (2002-2004), the Wild Card team won the World Series. It seemed to have cheapened the importance of being in first place after a 162-game season. Other than home-field, there were no disadvantages to going to the playoffs as a second place team.


    The one-game playoff creates a pretty significant disadvantage to entering the traditional playoffs as a less-than first place team, as you need to put a starter on the mound in a must-win game just to get there.


    We've reduced a 162-game season to a best-of-seven series for decades, and no one decries that as a joke. I don't object to a one-game play-in as a penalty of sorts for advancing to the playoffs without having first won your division.
    I believe 2002 both WS teams were WCs. Anyway there were other ways to give the WC team a disadvantage but they were never tried. For one thing the WC was not allowed to face the #1 seed in the first round if both teams played in the same division. Never understood why. They also could have gave the WC team less home games in the first round.

  22. #247
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    I'd like it if the 2 WC clubs played a regular best-of-three series. The team with the better record gets the first 2 games at home. If it goes to a game 3 it would be at the other WC club's home. Real drama.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  23. #248
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I'd like it if the 2 WC clubs played a regular best-of-three series. The team with the better record gets the first 2 games at home. If it goes to a game 3 it would be at the other WC club's home. Real drama.
    Would be better if game one at second WC and games 2 & 3 at the first WC

  24. #249
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Would be better if game one at second WC and games 2 & 3 at the first WC

    I like that even better. Can't you call somebody? Draw up a petition? Change the world?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  25. #250

    Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Would be better if game one at second WC and games 2 & 3 at the first WC
    How would having a three game series work? The team that wins would have no shot at advancing past the wild card round since they blew three pitchers. Also MLB does not want to push the World Series into November.

    I agree baseball is not a one game sport, but there is really no other way to do it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts