+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

2017: Yanks on the Road

Yanks were a below .500 team on the road in 2016 (17-23 at the halfway point, 36-45 in total) and IMO they need to reverse that record on the road this year to be in contention. They've started off 3-6. A couple of wins @ Fenway can "straighten the ship" in a hurry.

The Yanks won 48 games at home last year, and IMO they'll at least match that & hopefully do even better because I think they'll score more runs at home this year. 50 wins seems like a nice achievable goal. Perhaps we can have another thread just for home stands?

Now do the math - 45 wins on the road, 50 at home. THAT MIGHT BE GOOD ENOUGH TO TAKE THE DIVISION!

I think it will be interesting to have this thread as we go through the road trips. I'll try to provide series previews and recaps. Hope to hear what you have to say about the 2017 Yankees On The Road!
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Re: 2017: Yanks on the Road

Yanks have played 9 @ home (8-1) & 9 away (3-6) so far. They've scored 52 runs at home and 40 on the road. SLG and OPS much higher at home: .493/.840 at home, .399/.732 on the road.

They've pitched to an ERA of 2.33 at home (24 RA) and 4.08 on the road (38 RA). Opponents are hitting .254/.326/.387/.713 against Yankee pitching in their own ballparks, and .194/.245/.337/.582 @ YS.

Road games: Tampa Bay (1-2) Baltimore (1-2) and Pittsburgh (1-2)
    Home games: Tampa Bay (3-0) St. Louis (3-0) and Chicago (2-1)
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

First of all, and most importantly, they are the Yankees. They should never have to play road games. It's absurd.

Secondly, and not the least, they should NEVER have to play a game without the DH. When they play an NL Team they should be able to play by the rules of their league. It's also absurd.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

600 at home and 500 on the road. That's 90 wins. That gets you in the playoffs. Although with Boston and Baltimore who knows if that's good enough for the division. I'd be suprised if that couldn't get the wiled card

Edit:Under the current Format, two 90 wins plus win teams missed the playoffs. The 2012 rays and the 2013 rangers
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place with you

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    they should NEVER have to play a game without the DH. When they play an NL Team they should be able to play by the rules of their league. It's also absurd.
    I agree 100%. I hope the new commissioner puts an end to this absurd stubbornness by the NL in the near future.

The Yanks have 7 more games @ NL ballparks - 3 @ the Cubs, 2 @ Cincinnati (in early May) & 2 @ the Mets in August. The Orioles also have 7 more road games in NL parks. The Red Sox have 10 more. That's semi-interesting.

NYYF Legend

What a weird schedule. In the first 45 days of the season, the Yanks will have played 35 games, (including 16 on the road) with 10 days off.

Then they play 20 days in a row with no off days, with 13 days on the road.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I agree 100%. I hope the new commissioner puts an end to this absurd stubbornness by the NL in the near future.
    I don't think the Commissioner has any real say in this question - it would require a vote of the baseball owners, as it did in the early 1970s.

The real villains here are the owners that allowed the AL to go one way while the NL resisted the change.

And, to be very honest, I enjoy the NL game with its strategy - baseball is, after all, a game of strategy. Having the issue of the pitcher coming up next inning creates a need for the manager to think further ahead.

But, after 44 years, I can go either way. It's not like someday there will be an answer to a trivia question "Who were the first and last DHs to appear in an American League game."
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

What a weird schedule. In the first 45 days of the season, the Yanks will have played 35 games, (including 16 on the road) with 10 days off.

With the demise of scheduled doubleheaders, the season starts earlier than it used to. Early April is cold. So, they cram the greatest quantity of off days there, maximizing the June, July, and August playing opportunities.

154 games, with a few twin bills, and the season could start mid-April, instead of near the end of March.

I'd sooner start a week or so later, and have a few planned doubleheaders.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    With the demise of scheduled doubleheaders, the season starts earlier than it used to. Early April is cold. So, they cram the greatest quantity of off days there, maximizing the June, July, and August playing opportunities.

154 games, with a few twin bills, and the season could start mid-April, instead of near the end of March.

Same here.

You do realize, of course, that most owners would be against this. They need every gate they can get.

NYYF Legend

I have my tickets for both games coming up in Cincinnati and I am looking forward to seeing this newest, younger version of the Yankees on the road. I was surprised how cheap the tickets were relative to the days of Jeter, Posada, Arod, Mo, Matsui, etc...as scalping is legal in Cincinnati and in the past, tickets used to be an arm and a leg to see them there.

NYYF Legend

But Joe will still give plenty of rest days to the players despite all the off days to start the season.

NYYF Legend

If every team had to have 7 scheduled DH the season could start a week later and still be 162 games.

I think part of the reason for so many days off is obviously potential weather issues, but people forget that these guys have we're living out of suit cases for about 2 months
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place with you

NYYF Legend

Ok so now they're 4-6 on the road. Nice victory last night against a WS contender in their home ballpark. Could be the start of a whole new rivalry, since both team rosters are so different then they were a few years ago.

Wouldn't it be great if they can find a way to knock Sale out tonight? Just a couple of thoughts:

Bird should probably sit and Carter should start @ 1B.
    Tanaka needs to step it up and show why he's an ace.
    Holliday needs to earn some of his paycheck tonight.

Hicks in place of either Gardner or Ellsbury.
    Adam Warren needs some work tonight.

NYYF Legend

Ok so now they're 4-6 on the road. Nice victory last night against a WS contender in their home ballpark. Could be the start of a whole new rivalry, since both team rosters are so different then they were a few years ago.

Wouldn't it be great if they can find a way to knock Sale out tonight? Just a couple of thoughts:

Bird should probably sit and Carter should start @ 1B.
    Tanaka needs to step it up and show why he's an ace.
    Holliday needs to earn some of his paycheck tonight.

Hicks in place of either Gardner or Ellsbury.
    Adam Warren needs some work tonight.
    And now 5-6!

Bird should probably sit and Carter should start @ 1B. Ding!
    Tanaka needs to step it up and show why he's an ace. Ding ding ding!
    Holliday needs to earn some of his paycheck tonight. Ding!
    Hicks in place of either Gardner or Ellsbury. Ding!
    Adam Warren needs some work tonight. Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    And now 5-6!
    What a great game and what a great victory!

You know what last night was all about? Last night proves that the Yankees can overcome the odds this season! It's about believing! The players themselves have to be gaining confidence! They won't need Girardi or Cashman pushing the right buttons - they'll push the buttons themselves!!

The general feeling I had yesterday was that , oh well, Chris Sale is pitching, not much of a chance to win tonight. My guess is you all felt the same way. But it looks like we have plenty of weapons on our side this year! A staff ace...ways to manufacture runs...versatility and depth...everyone contributing....these traits are what winning teams are made of!

Ok, I'll chill now...six game home stand up next, with 3 against the Orioles starting tonight. Can our team make a statement to the rest of the division this weekend? WE GOTTA BELIEVE !!!!

You know what last night was all about? Last night proves that the Yankees can overcome the odds this season! It's about believing! The players themselves have to be gaining confidence! They won't need Girardi or Cashman pushing the right buttons - they'll push the buttons themselves!!

The general feeling I had yesterday was that , oh well, Chris Sale is pitching, not much of a chance to win tonight. My guess is you all felt the same way. But it looks like we have plenty of weapons on our side this year! A staff ace...ways to manufacture runs...versatility and depth...everyone contributing....these traits are what winning teams are made of!

Ok, I'll chill now...six game home stand up next, with 3 against the Orioles starting tonight. Can our team make a statement to the rest of the division this weekend? WE GOTTA BELIEVE !!!!
    Actually, last night was about....... Big Papi retiring!

NYYF Legend

Great game last night. Now take 2 of 3 against the Birds, and leave the weekend tied for 1st.

And don't fall down against the Blue Jays. They are really struggling, and now is the time to take at least 2 of 3, if not a sweep.

That will show me something.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I have long been an advocate that every team should play ten scheduled DHs a season - five at home and five away. Use Saturdays for what they should be used for.

If teams are worried about losing five gates, treat the games as premium tickets. I would gladly pay 50% more (of course, I don't have kids to take to the games) for a DH ticket and certainly would spend extra dollars in concessions.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Ok so they're 12-3 at home, 5-6 on the road. It's time to get over .500 on the road, with the next 3 @ Wrigley Field against the Cubs and then 2 quick games against the Reds in Cincinnati.

Winning 3 of 5 needs to be the minimum goal - maybe 1 in Chicago and then sweep the Reds? If they can take 2 in both ballparks I think we'd all be ecstatic.

Friday Matinee, 2:30 ET: Michael Pineda vs. Kyle Hendricks. Warren and Chapman get their WS rings. Which Big Mike will show up? Looks like Holliday and Carter have had some success against Hendricks. I predict Castro has another multi-hit game and Chapman earns the save. You know what would really take some of the mounting pressure off of Aaron Judge? If Gary Sanchez comes back raking! It should be a fun afternoon.

Ok so they're 12-3 at home, 5-6 on the road. It's time to get over .500 on the road, with the next 3 @ Wrigley Field against the Cubs and then 2 quick games against the Reds in Cincinnati.

Winning 3 of 5 needs to be the minimum goal - maybe 1 in Chicago and then sweep the Reds? If they can take 2 in both ballparks I think we'd all be ecstatic.

Friday Matinee, 2:30 ET: Michael Pineda vs. Kyle Hendricks. Castro and Chapman get their WS rings. Which Big Mike will show up? Looks like Holliday and Carter have had some success against Hendricks. I predict Castro has another multi-hit game and Chapman earns the save. You know what would really take some of the mounting pressure off of Aaron Judge? If Gary Sanchez comes back raking! It should be a fun afternoon.
    Why would Castro get a WS ring? He was traded to the Yanks in the offseason before last season began.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    Why would Castro get a WS ring? He was traded to the Yanks in the offseason before last season began.

Oh you're right - it's Adam Warren that's getting a ring besides Chapman. I think Castro's getting honored in some way though.

NYYF Legend

"Gardy Goes Yardy!"

Chase Headley, on Gardner's enthusiasm as he circles the bases: "He was drooling as he rounded 3rd!"

Ha! What a game! Winning these kinds of games (9 wins now coming from behind) goes a long way towards building confidence. These players are never going to give up this year!

They're 6-6 on the road now - GREAT! Now JMonty faces LH Brett Anderson tonight with a chance to win the series. I hope Girardi starts Holliday @ 1B in place of Carter. I'm also hoping to see Sanchez hit the ball with some authority. Finally, I'd love to see Warren & Betances close it out and give Chapman the night off.

Enjoy your day!

NYYF Legend

I cannot wait to see the team live in Cincinnati and I wish that Bird was healthy because I really wanted to see him play in person.

NYYF Legend

The first series win on the road!! Against the World Champions !!!

Now 7-6 for the season. Baby steps. Severino (the future) against Lester (the past) Sunday night. If we don't see Holliday @ 1B then Girardi is a liar. No Need to sit Sanchez, but I can see Girardi giving Judge the night off and putting Hicks in RF. Maybe even Torreyes @ 3rd with Headley getting the night off. We don't say this too often, but Betances probably needs some work.

Get out the brooms!

Thread Information