+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Yankees 2017 Attendance

The biggest issue I have with attendance is the way that they have been letting fans in to the ballpark. Only Gate 6 and 8 open up 2 hours before the game. The Yankees publicize this as a way for them to promote the new Outfield experience by limiting fans mobility in this newer areas. Financially, it's pretty clear that this is a way for them to save money on hourly help throughout the ballpark. For example, if the Legends Suite is not accessible to fans until 1.5 hours before, the Yankees save on money from food and all of the help in the Legends area.

It's extremely disorganized, especially for Fri-Sun games with an early arriving crowd. Take today for example. As I write this, at 4 PM, hours before the 7:30 start time, there are thousands of people on line for the Reggie Jackson Bobblehead giveaway. With only 2 games opening early, fans are priotizing entry in Gate 6 and 8 to guarantee the Bobblehead.

Even on non Bobblehead or non promotion days, it's a significant issue. The Red Sox games this week hosted sell out or near sell out crowds. The team was supposed to open all gates 2 hours before for Red Sox games, but this "rule" was not followed.

My season tickets have access to the Audi Restaurant. Since Audi is now not accessible until 1.5 hours before, I feel rushed having to make sure that I am quickly seated and am able to finish my meal before game time.

I usually arrive very early to games, but I can't help but notice very very long lines 30 minutes before game time or sooner with people not able to enter and get to their seat until the 1st or 2nd inning.

In my opinion, the security check is fine and efficient. It is strictly the lack of entries / confusing signs that slow the process down. One suggestion would be to open all gates on Fri-Sun games with earlier arriving weekend crowds and follow the new rules to save money during the week.

I suggest that more people offer this suggestion to their ticket reps and in end of year surveys for whatever it is worth.

:)

How are the Clear Lanes? Entrance time any earlier?

Devoted Member

[QUOTE=Mrjeter2;8300914]The biggest issue I have with attendance is the way that they have been letting fans in to the ballpark. Only Gate 6 and 8 open up 2 hours before the game. The Yankees publicize this as a way for them to promote the new Outfield experience by limiting fans mobility in this newer areas. Financially, it's pretty clear that this is a way for them to save money on hourly help throughout the ballpark. For example, if the Legends Suite is not accessible to fans until 1.5 hours before, the Yankees save on money from food and all of the help in the Legends area.

It's extremely disorganized, especially for Fri-Sun games with an early arriving crowd. Take today for example. As I write this, at 4 PM, hours before the 7:30 start time, there are thousands of people on line for the Reggie Jackson Bobblehead giveaway. With only 2 games opening early, fans are priotizing entry in Gate 6 and 8 to guarantee the Bobblehead.

Even on non Bobblehead or non promotion days, it's a significant issue. The Red Sox games this week hosted sell out or near sell out crowds. The team was supposed to open all gates 2 hours before for Red Sox games, but this "rule" was not followed.

My season tickets have access to the Audi Restaurant. Since Audi is now not accessible until 1.5 hours before, I feel rushed having to make sure that I am quickly seated and am able to finish my meal before game time.

I usually arrive very early to games, but I can't help but notice very very long lines 30 minutes before game time or sooner with people not able to enter and get to their seat until the 1st or 2nd inning.

In my opinion, the security check is fine and efficient. It is strictly the lack of entries / confusing signs that slow the process down. One suggestion would be to open all gates on Fri-Sun games with earlier arriving weekend crowds and follow the new rules to save money during the week.

I suggest that more people offer this suggestion to their ticket reps and in end of year surveys for whatever it is worth.

All gates opened at 5:30 last night. 2 hours before the game.

How do you know when people get to their seats?

NYYF Legend

[QUOTE=Yankee-1;8301495]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrjeter2 View Post
    The biggest issue I have with attendance is the way that they have been letting fans in to the ballpark. Only Gate 6 and 8 open up 2 hours before the game. The Yankees publicize this as a way for them to promote the new Outfield experience by limiting fans mobility in this newer areas. Financially, it's pretty clear that this is a way for them to save money on hourly help throughout the ballpark. For example, if the Legends Suite is not accessible to fans until 1.5 hours before, the Yankees save on money from food and all of the help in the Legends area.

All gates opened at 5:30 last night. 2 hours before the game.

How do you know when people get to their seats?
    Last night I went to gate two at a quarter to 6 thinking it would not open untill 6. So yesterday it opened at 5;30 and there were no bobbleheads there because they gave them to the 3 thousand little leaguers first at that gate.i believe they were allowed in before they opened the gates for the paying fans.

NYYF Legend

Lot of theories here about why attendance is down despite the improved product, but actually, if you look at attendance trends throughout the years and not just for the Yankees, there is usually a one-year lag between the uptick in performance and uptick in attendance. Same going the other way as a team gets worse. One of my favorite examples is that the 1969 "Miracle Mets" drew 2.2 million on their way to a 100-62 record and the World Series title. The 83-79 third place Mets of 1970 drew 2.7 million.

NYYF Legend

The Yankees are now AL No.1 in home attendance on average. Only the Giants, Cards, Cubs and Dodgers draw more.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    The Yankees are now AL No.1 in home attendance on average. Only the Giants, Cards, Cubs and Dodgers draw more.
    They passed Toronto? Jay's had been leading the AL in attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    They passed Toronto? Jay's had been leading the AL in attendance.
    Yes, they did

http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

2017 - 30 game average is now at 38,539
    2016 full season average was 37,814

excellent attendance for this 6 game homestand, good weather helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Shore Yankee View Post
    I hear ya. I have Sirius too but I'm not so serious when it comes to listening or watching baseball. Sterling makes me shake my head and laugh. I enjoy laughing. I can understand someone not having a pleasurable experience listening to Sterling. Me? I get a kick out of him.
    the next funny thing he says will be the first. he's beyond unbearable.

42 games into the season, so just past the halfway point of the season and attendance is now trending upward.

2017 Total 1,662,492 for an average of 39,583 per game.

The 2016 full season average per game was 37,814

The Yankees have increased attendance per game during the summer plus the deep discounting and Pinstripe Passes are helping. Plus they have 7 Red Sox games and 2 Mets home games before Labor Day.

Then there may be a drop off in September once school opens again. Looks like they will break the 3 Million mark again this year.

Let's Go Yankees!

Tonight was home game 50 and the Yankees hit 2 million in attendance, not bad!

2017 Total 2,001,388 for an average of 40,028 per game.

After the Red Sox series at was home game 65 and the Yankees are at 2.654 million in attendance, for an average of 40,830 per game.

Max will be 79, not 81, regular season home games due to the 2 rain checks and ensuing single admission doubleheaders.

Hoping for lots of post season attendance in October

During 2017 Regular Season, the Yankees attendance 3,062,179, for an average of 38,762 per game. The 2016 average was 37,814 per game so that is a 2.5% increase per game.

There were only 79, not 81, regular season home games due to the 2 rain checks and ensuing single admission doubleheaders. Not sure how rain checks count toward attendance, does anyone know?

Hoping for lots of post season attendance in October, the Wild Card game was 49,280 - highest attendance of the season by far.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeSTH View Post
    During 2017 Regular Season, the Yankees attendance 3,062,179, for an average of 38,762 per game. The 2016 average was 37,814 per game so that is a 2.5% increase per game.

There were only 79, not 81, regular season home games due to the 2 rain checks and ensuing single admission doubleheaders. Not sure how rain checks count toward attendance, does anyone know?

Hoping for lots of post season attendance in October, the Wild Card game was 49,280 - highest attendance of the season by far.
    Actually 78 home dates. We had three single admission DHs this season.

NYYF Legend

How many in 2016? If zero, those three houses would be worth another 2% jump, unless they double-count those DH attendees.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Sat 5/13 vs Astros
    Tues 8/29 vs Indians

When was #3?

NYYF Legend

Sat 5/13 vs Astros
    Tues 8/29 vs Indians

When was #3?
    Sorry, my mistake. There were only two.

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    How many in 2016? If zero, those three houses would be worth another 2% jump, unless they double-count those DH attendees.
    Does a rain check ticket sale count for attendance for the game it is exchanged for?

That could be in 2017 or 2018

What if a ticket is never exchanged?

Does a rain check ticket sale count for attendance for the game it is exchanged for?

That could be in 2017 or 2018

What if a ticket is never exchanged?
    This is a good one.

So, one could argue that the ticket is sold, and therefore counts, since you cannot get a refund like in the old days. But then what game does it count against? Does it count against the game it is exchanged into down the road? That can be the only game it counts against.

So, if the rain-check is never used, the money is kept, and the admission is not counted at all.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
    This is a good one.

So, one could argue that the ticket is sold, and therefore counts, since you cannot get a refund like in the old days. But then what game does it count against? Does it count against the game it is exchanged into down the road? That can be the only game it counts against.

So, if the rain-check is never used, the money is kept, and the admission is not counted at all.
    Who cares???

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee-1 View Post
    Who cares???
    People who measure attendance as a mark of success....

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
    People who measure attendance as a mark of success....
    OK And why do they do that? Nothing better to do? How does that affect them? Seems like the Yankees would be interested but others not so much!!

OK And why do they do that? Nothing better to do? How does that affect them? Seems like the Yankees would be interested but others not so much!!
    I don't know. Ask the poster I originally responded to.

Who cares???
    It's a thread about attendance. Where they discuss attendance. Attendance is the topic.
    Bad manager.

Who cares???

The Yankees care, the Yankees employees care, the Bronx cares, some Yankees fans care, other baseball teams care, etc. You seem not to care, c'est la vie.

Let's Go Yankees, beat the Indians tonight!!

Thread Information