+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Yankees 2017 Attendance

First Homestand completed

9 games with a total attendance of 321,928 with an average per game of 35,570

That average would be 2,897,352 for an 81 game season. April attendance is typically low so looks like 2017 attendance will not be below 3,000,000

High attendance was Opening Day 46,955 (2016 Opening Day was 47,820)

Low attendance was Monday 4/17 vs White Sox 28,181 (2016 low was 27,532 on 9/6 vs Blue Jays and the April 2016 low was 30,003 on Thursday 4/7, which was the first trial of 4pm weekday games - that start time is not on this year's schedule).

Yes, I know this is tickets sold, not actual attendance. The Wednesday night 4/19 game vs. White Sox was a very empty looking Yankee Stadium (15-20k?) but a great game to watch.

Let's Go Yankees!

Re: Yankees 2017 Attendance

The White Sox crowds and Sunday Night Cardinals game surely brought the average down, but I actually thought the crowds were pretty good for the first 5 games of the homestand.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeSTH View Post
    First Homestand completed

9 games with a total attendance of 321,928 with an average per game of 35,570

That average would be 2,897,352 for an 81 game season. April attendance is typically low so looks like 2017 attendance will not be below 3,000,000

High attendance was Opening Day 46,955 (2016 Opening Day was 47,820)

Low attendance was Monday 4/17 vs White Sox 28,181 (2016 low was 27,532 on 9/6 vs Blue Jays and the April 2016 low was 30,003 on Thursday 4/7, which was the first trial of 4pm weekday games - that start time is not on this year's schedule).

Yes, I know this is tickets sold, not actual attendance. The Wednesday night 4/19 game vs. White Sox was a very empty looking Yankee Stadium (15-20k?) but a great game to watch.

Let's Go Yankees!
    4/17 game was only the third time Yankees had a paid crowd under 30,000 since the current Stadium opened. Other two under 30,000 crowds happened last season.

Attendance last night - Monday May 1 vs Blue Jays was 25,566 - WOW, that is low!

Attendance last night - Monday May 1 vs Blue Jays was 25,566 - WOW, that is low!
    Looked low on TV...I went Friday and it took until 4th inning to fill up due to security line SNAFUs

Forum Regular

lowest for the new stadium...

I had the honor to sit 2 tables away from Jerry Springer in the Legends Club last night.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...river_home_pop

Quote Originally Posted by Arod7593 View Post
    I had the honor to sit 2 tables away from Jerry Springer in the Legends Club last night.
    My wife (who was a dental hygienist) had the honor of cleaning Jerry Springer's teeth when he was mayor of Cincinnati back a long time ago. How did his teeth look?
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Make the Yankees great again!!

I know many people who gave up their plans or go to far less games due to cost, poor customer service, and very few amenities for the average fan. To their credit the Yankees are attempting to address some of the issues with the stadium, unfortunately once you alienate a customer it's very difficult to get them back.

Addicted Member

Last night's announced attendance was 30,000 or so and that was with 5.01 tickets. Crowd looked smaller than that

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    My wife (who was a dental hygienist) had the honor of cleaning Jerry Springer's teeth when he was mayor of Cincinnati back a long time ago. How did his teeth look?
    He looked good,(but to be honest I wasn't looking at his teeth lol) on TV they are all made up to look good but he looked like he was in great condition for mid 70s or whatever he is. He was very friendly to everyone that came up to him. He was seated in 15A during the game and one of the guys he was with is one of his bodyguards currently on the show (not Steve Wilkos lol).

If my girlfriend was there she would've told you she has an obsession with white teeth (her's specifically)

NYYF Legend

They don't treat the average fans nice. They came to an agreement with Stub Hub but still do not alow PDF paper tickets which all other teams in the area alow. Even NYCFC allows paper tickets. And this year put in dynamic, variable pricing. Small wonder attendance is less despite team in first place.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    They don't treat the average fans nice. They came to an agreement with Stub Hub but still do not alow PDF paper tickets which all other teams in the area alow. Even NYCFC allows paper tickets. And this year put in dynamic, variable pricing. Small wonder attendance is less despite team in first place.
    I have been to dozens of stadiums and arena's around the country and very sadly the Yankees have by far have the worst customer service I've encountered. And their security inside the stadium is way too aggressive, borderline abusive.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I have been to dozens of stadiums and arena's around the country and very sadly the Yankees have by far have the worst customer service I've encountered. And their security inside the stadium is way too aggressive, borderline abusive.
    Gestapo
    "The saddest thing in life is wasted talent"

Quote Originally Posted by kirbivore View Post
    Gestapo
    Agree

NYYF Legend

Agree
    Agreed!

NYYF Cy Young

I've actually found most of the entry level workers very nice. It's when you get to the management level that you find the jerks.

Barclays Center is way worse where everyone is rude from entry level up. I found an islanders employee and complained. They seem to know it too since just by talking to them I got free ice level tickets for another game... which is the big difference between the Yankees and every other team. Caring about the average fan.

Informative article in today's New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/25/s...cial.html?_r=0

Including this quote,

"And this month, a game in the Bronx against the Toronto Blue Jays drew an announced crowd of 25,556 — the smallest for a Yankees home game in 13 years.
    Even with a young, vibrant team that is playing beyond expectations, attendance has continued to fall this season. The Yankees’ per-game decline of 3,793 over the same number of games last season, through Tuesday, is the third-sharpest in baseball, according to Baseball Reference, trailing just Kansas City and the Mets. And the average attendance of 34,642 represents a decline of nearly 12,000 from the new stadium’s peak."

Many factors for the Yankees declining attendance are discussed, but to me, the glaring omission is how poorly the Yankees sales team has treated and continues to treat full and partial season ticket holders.

Informative article in today's New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/25/s...cial.html?_r=0

Including this quote,

"And this month, a game in the Bronx against the Toronto Blue Jays drew an announced crowd of 25,556 — the smallest for a Yankees home game in 13 years.
    Even with a young, vibrant team that is playing beyond expectations, attendance has continued to fall this season. The Yankees’ per-game decline of 3,793 over the same number of games last season, through Tuesday, is the third-sharpest in baseball, according to Baseball Reference, trailing just Kansas City and the Mets. And the average attendance of 34,642 represents a decline of nearly 12,000 from the new stadium’s peak."

Many factors for the Yankees declining attendance are discussed, but to me, the glaring omission is how poorly the Yankees sales team has treated and continues to treat full and partial season ticket holders.
    My favorite part is Hal blaming Millennials, which is what every struggling business does these days to deflect from its own ineptitude. The unnecessary new Stadium is a $2.3 billion flop, not that these guys will ever admit it.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'." - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyEllis View Post
    My favorite part is Hal blaming Millennials, which is what every struggling business does these days to deflect from its own ineptitude. The unnecessary new Stadium is a $2.3 billion flop, not that these guys will ever admit it.
    It is true that Millennials have different spending patters than their parents, and therein lay the problem.

Cable television and the music industry are noticing the same thing...

You need to adjust your business plan to survive. If young people don't take in baseball the same way that young people did 20 years ago did, you gotta find out why and adjust in order to bring them in to the fold.

Quote Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
    It is true that Millennials have different spending patters than their parents, and therein lay the problem.

Cable television and the music industry are noticing the same thing...

You need to adjust your business plan to survive. If young people don't take in baseball the same way that young people did 20 years ago did, you gotta find out why and adjust in order to bring them in to the fold.
    It's a very small piece of the puzzle. As the article points out, the new Stadium brings with it a significant debt service and the initial ticket pricing assumptions were way off base. Without the debt, they'd have more freedom of movement on the pricing side, where the real problem is, and not just with younger fans.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'." - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyEllis View Post
    It's a very small piece of the puzzle. As the article points out, the new Stadium brings with it a significant debt service and the initial ticket pricing assumptions were way off base. Without the debt, they'd have more freedom of movement on the pricing side, where the real problem is, and not just with younger fans.
    This season the Yankees ticket sales strategy is to have more lower price tickets, many not tied to seat locations, and adding public spaces. Pinstripe Passes for $15 with a beer and enjoy the outfield experience, $10 Outfield Grandstand tickets and hang at the Budweiser party deck, plus the promotional pricing of $4.18, $5.01 etc. The message is that your seat location is not important, what is important is to be at the game, eat, drink, buy merchandise, be merry.

The next shoe to drop is season ticket holders feeling undercut and more of them dropping their plans (remember seat location is not important) leading to lower attendance leading to more lower price tickets and more promotional pricing in 2018 and beyond.

NYYF Legend

“Despite declines in ticket sales, the Yankees’ overall revenue is up since 2009 (when the new Yankee Stadium opened), and that doesn’t even include the equity interests we have,” Yankees president Randy Levine told the Daily News Thursday, referring to the organization’s numerous licensing, sponsorship and marketing deals.

According to Major League Baseball-issued statistics, the Yankees are averaging 36,280 fans this season at the Stadium through 21 games. They are second, barely, to Toronto (36,869) in the American League. But the Times report says that “attendance through the first quarter of (the Yankees’) home schedule is down from the same point last year,” and the report says ticket and suite revenue is down $166 million from 2009.

“First of all, it’s a false comparison to look at any numbers today relative to 2009 – that was the first year of the new Stadium, and it was the year the Yankees won (their 27th) World Series,” said economist Andrew Zimbalist. “You have a new stadium once every 30 or 40 years. The fact that the Yankees won the World Series, that’s an extraordinary year. It doesn’t make any sense to say that they’re doing worse than they were in 2009.”

There are numerous tangible and intangible factors to consider when making Yankee Stadium attendance comparisons within one calendar year: the Yankees had already played their ancient rival Red Sox three times in early May last year, and the Bombers averaged 45,149 fans per game during that three-game series; inclement and chilly weather have wreaked havoc for the Yankee home games in early ‘17, including a Saturday game against the Astros being postponed until the next day, May 14, when the ceremony honoring Derek Jeter and his No. 2 being retired turned into a single-admission doubleheader, meaning no gate receipts for the early game.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.3196793

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/ya...rk-these-days/

In all, the Yankees have plenty of money and the easiest way to start filling more seats is to start making deep playoff runs again. In the meantime, they could probably stand to continue marketing in the way of the Judge's Chambers and possibly start lowering ticket prices -- maybe even significantly in some areas of the park.

In the meantime, the non-Yankees fans of the universe are surely basking in the schadenfreude.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/ya...rk-these-days/

In all, the Yankees have plenty of money and the easiest way to start filling more seats is to start making deep playoff runs again. In the meantime, they could probably stand to continue marketing in the way of the Judge's Chambers and possibly start lowering ticket prices -- maybe even significantly in some areas of the park.

In the meantime, the non-Yankees fans of the universe are surely basking in the schadenfreude.
    But probably not yours or mine.

NYYF Legend

Not that big in the overall picture but just as an aside -- if Hal is worried about Millennial support for the team, maybe, just maybe, he could revisit his unshakeable support for a broadcaster who is a 78-year-old blind guy whose idea of pop culture is quoting Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals? A guy for whom THE BEATLES are too modern to mention???

I know millennials are not considered big radio consumers but to the extent they do -- everyone drives a car, and the ones who genuinely like the Yankees aren't plugging in to music all the time -- this announcer can't be helping.

Just saying.

Thread Information