+ Reply to Thread

Matt Holliday Thread

Anyone concerned with Holliday's penchant for swings and misses? He seems to really come off the ball, especially on pitches outside and down, reminiscent of our buddies Soriano and Starlin Castro.

Re: Matt Holliday Thread

No. Unlike the two guys you mentioned, Holliday still maintains an OBP of .380+. That's all I care about.
    Calmer than you are

I was not a fan of this signing. Now that he's here it would be a great benefit for him to have a big first half. That way he's either going to help the team get into the playoffs or bring a good prospect at the trade deadline. If he flounders then he's a $16 million waste that kept a younger player from getting playing time, even if only at DH, and won't bring much in a trade.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

The guy is a professional hitter. Love the OBP and his presence in the middle of the lineup.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I was not a fan of this signing. Now that he's here it would be a great benefit for him to have a big first half. That way he's either going to help the team get into the playoffs or bring a good prospect at the trade deadline. If he flounders then he's a $16 million waste that kept a younger player from getting playing time, even if only at DH, and won't bring much in a trade.
    i liked it from day one but when the bottom fell out of the DH slugger market, i realised they probably overpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    The guy is a professional hitter. Love the OBP and his presence in the middle of the lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    No. Unlike the two guys you mentioned, Holliday still maintains an OBP of .380+. That's all I care about.
    his OBP is very important - even though i'm surprised how much he swings at early pitches.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

Pinstripe Alley just put out an article on Holliday's declining contact rate: http://www.pinstripealley.com/2017/4...hitter-contact

Holliday’s working with some intriguing peripherals in the early going. He’s not making as much contact as one would expect, but when he does, it’s well-struck. The Yankees will take that at this point in his career.

i mentioned this in the castro thread but basically contact rate is a function of both ability and the mix of pitches being swung at.

if you look at how he's being pitched to, it's extremely respectful. he's not getting much to hit.

he's not expanding the zone that much as evidenced by the low in/out of zone swing rates, but he's also not swinging much at all.

the best theory seems to be that he's focused on just hitting homers. when he's doing that, he isn't making contact with the low pitches.

but...not making contact with low pitches and missing them outright with a dead pull swing might actually be a blessing. it beats a grounder to short.
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Pinstripe Alley just put out an article on Holliday's declining contact rate: http://www.pinstripealley.com/2017/4...hitter-contact
    i've noticed this. wonder how this plays out?
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

He has not been productive for a while now, since before being held out because of the back. Let's hope this is not a continuing problem. They need DH production from him or someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    He has not been productive for a while now, since before being held out because of the back. Let's hope this is not a continuing problem. They need DH production from him or someone else.
    I happen to agree with this.
    Luckily, if they DL Holliday, they have Carter - who can provide some punch at the DH spot.
    "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.”—Hitman23

Made a big difference tonight against Sale.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Yes he did. Holliday may not be a part of the future but he is very important to the 2017 team.

NYYF Legend

The sacrifice hit at bat is one of the best examples of how a professional hitter could do against great pitching.

NYYF Legend

Listen to your boy.

Great game wining ht tonight. Looks like he is starting to roll.

NYYF Legend

After he hit that ball, Holliday nearly drowned when he reached home plate. Nothing like seeing a guy drive the ball with power to the opposite field.

Listen to your boy.
    Showoff!

Totally agree with you, FWIW. Liked the signing and have really enjoyed watching his approach.

The walkoff tonight was a beautiful thing.

Thread Information