+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 17 18 19 20

Re: DON"T LIE!! Ok now to the truth: Did you think Hick's had it in him all along?

I think me, along with one other poster on here talked Hicks up this off season. I didn't think he'd be on fire like this, but I thought he could be a starting outfielder for sure. He's got the skills for it. Just took him a little bit of time.

Forum Regular
    *70* year old Ex-New York Psychologist now in Europe

Re: DON"T LIE!! Ok now to the truth: Did you think Hick's had it in him all along?

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Ordinarily I am not exactly known for my patience, but for some reason I felt it would be a mistake to give up on Hicks too soon and I argued that in this forum many times last year. It wasn't easy to make that argument, and normally I wouldn't be THAT GUY, but for some reason I saw some real talent in Hicks and I feared giving up in him too soon.

There was a player I used last year as an example, someone a team gave up on too soon, then watched him peak with another team. I forgot the player I used as an example, but that was my biggest fear with Hicks.
    Well then you were very right about Mr. Hicks. Join the successful team here in this Hicks thread.
    The Internet's most esteemed, experienced and entertaining poster--bar none! You can hate him, or love him, but you CANNOT avoid him!

Quote Originally Posted by Retired_Doc View Post
    Well then you were very right about Mr. Hicks. Join the successful team here in this Hicks thread.
    I can't lie, I DID NOT expect anything like this, but I thought it was possible. I thought he had the talent to do something like this, probably wouldn't happen, but it was possible and thats what I feared. If it happened, I didn't want it to happen for his next team, like the Twins having to watch what David Ortiz became for the Red Sox. Not saying Hicks is or ever will be Ortiz, just using that as an easily accessible example of the dangers of giving up on talent too soon.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Really, it's Willie Mays' number - like 21 is Roberto Clemente and 44 is Henry Aaron.
    Whoa, 21 belongs to Paul O'Neill. Anyone else wearing it is just Latroy Hawkins.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    I can't lie, I DID NOT expect anything like this, but I thought it was possible. I thought he had the talent to do something like this, probably wouldn't happen, but it was possible and thats what I feared. If it happened, I didn't want it to happen for his next team, like the Twins having to watch what David Ortiz became for the Red Sox. Not saying Hicks is or ever will be Ortiz, just using that as an easily accessible example of the dangers of giving up on talent too soon.

....well-stated
    The Internet's most esteemed, experienced and entertaining poster--bar none! You can hate him, or love him, but you CANNOT avoid him!

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Whoa, 21 belongs to Paul O'Neill. Anyone else wearing it is just Latroy Hawkins.
    Wait, some Yankee had that number before LaTroy Hawkins?

As of April 14, the date that this thread was started, Hick's was batting .313 with an OBP of .476 in six games (16 AB). It was only then that the Doc jumped on the bandwagon. I'm just wondering where the Doc was during spring training? Why wasn't he touting the Cooperstown worthiness of Mr. Hick's then?

I think it is way past time that we accept the fact that the Doc is merely a good time Charlie, front running homer that might have just as easily fallen in love with Matt Holliday or, in seasons past, Brian Roberts or Stephen Drew of any of them had rolled a few hits through the infield early in the season. Just wait, as soon as Hick's puts up a couple of oh-fer-fivers, the Doc will be scampering the other way like a frightened mouse.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Sanchez, Martinez...oh, you mean Rickey Henderson's number?
    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    How soon we forget Robinson Cano
    its a good number to get. A nice blend of different generations. Hopefully Sanchez can represent the number like his predecessors.
    Last edited by Hitman23; 05-09-17 at 02:48 AM.

So here's the thing....

At the time of the acquisition I was totally for it. I had Hicks in some fantasy leagues so I had been following him already. I was definitely okay with him being a fourth OFer with hopes he'd be the guy he always had the potential to be, forcing himself into the lineup. Last year was horrendous. When I heard this season that there was a so-called competition for RF, meaning Judge may not have had the job, it became mildly infuriating. But here we are. Hicks is one of the hottest hitters on the team and has made the case to play every game. This is great. With Ellsbury often banged up, Bird being out moving the DH to 1b, and the general rotation of days off for guys, there is flexibility here to get him out there. I couldn't be happier to have been wrong about him getting at bats as much as possible. I knew the dude had talent but just like most of the rest of the roster, he's making it exciting and fun to watch. I am so happy to have been wrong giving up on him and solely pushing him as nothing more than a fourth OFer.

Go Hicks!

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    So here's the thing....

At the time of the acquisition I was totally for it. I had Hicks in some fantasy leagues so I had been following him already. I was definitely okay with him being a fourth OFer with hopes he'd be the guy he always had the potential to be, forcing himself into the lineup. Last year was horrendous. When I heard this season that there was a so-called competition for RF, meaning Judge may not have had the job, it became mildly infuriating. But here we are. Hicks is one of the hottest hitters on the team and has made the case to play every game. This is great. With Ellsbury often banged up, Bird being out moving the DH to 1b, and the general rotation of days off for guys, there is flexibility here to get him out there. I couldn't be happier to have been wrong about him getting at bats as much as possible. I knew the dude had talent but just like most of the rest of the roster, he's making it exciting and fun to watch. I am so happy to have been wrong giving up on him and solely pushing him as nothing more than a fourth OFer.

Go Hicks!
    Very well-stated.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    As of April 14, the date that this thread was started, Hick's was batting .313 with an OBP of .476 in six games (16 AB). It was only then that the Doc jumped on the bandwagon. I'm just wondering where the Doc was during spring training? Why wasn't he touting the Cooperstown worthiness of Mr. Hick's then?

I think it is way past time that we accept the fact that the Doc is merely a good time Charlie, front running homer that might have just as easily fallen in love with Matt Holliday or, in seasons past, Brian Roberts or Stephen Drew of any of them had rolled a few hits through the infield early in the season. Just wait, as soon as Hick's puts up a couple of oh-fer-fivers, the Doc will be scampering the other way like a frightened mouse.
    Thank you for contacting the In-Thread Customer Service Facility Hot Line. We are always glad to hear from more of our 1000's of "satisfied customers."

But we do have to say Sir or Madame or Miss, or Ms. that having read your missive dozens of times we have no earthly idea what you're talking about. Perhaps you could have a young teenage neighbor assist you in any future correspondence?

Many thanks for contacting us and please feel free to call upon us again.

Sincerely,

Major Deegan

They should trade Hicks while his stock is high. It'll never get any higher.
    "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.Hitman23

hicks is good though. like good enough to be a piece for the future.
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

Forum Regular

I LOVE Hicks. Needless to say I suspect a few of you surmised that.

BUT, with that said, no one accepts baseball more as a business than I do. IF, and only IF Hicks (and someone else who's reasonable but not great) could be packaged for a VERY good SP, then I might accept trading Mr. Hicks. It would hurt but I would do it. Hicks is great, but regardless of how great any one player is, it's the team's winning record I care about.

I'm 70. How many more years will I be alive to celebrate another Yankees WS title?
    Last edited by Retired_Doc; 05-09-17 at 02:16 PM.

I picked up Hicks off the the waiver wire today in one of my fantasy leagues.

He's still available in mine.

I traditionally have very few Yankees (keeper league).

Since I already have Judge / Sanchez / Severino / Montgomery / Bird / Ellsbury (fill in pick up last week)......i don't know if I can take Hicks....lol
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

NYYF Legend

Thanks for starting his tail spin
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    He's still available in mine.

I traditionally have very few Yankees (keeper league).

Since I already have Judge / Sanchez / Severino / Montgomery / Bird / Ellsbury (fill in pick up last week)......i don't know if I can take Hicks....lol
    I usually stay away from acquiring Yankees also. I feel like I overrate them because I watch them play every day. But this year in my big roto league I nabbed Montgomery, Sanchez and Judge in the auction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Thanks for starting his tail spin
    if it wasn't for this 10 day DL thing and the 349 players I have on it I may have not had to

Forum Regular

You DO all realize what it means if Mr. Hicks ends up having a truly excellent year, right? Well here's what it says: ALL the times in the past that players who started out poorly and were eventually exiled from organized baseball before they were given adequate time to develop MIGHT have had the same potential as Mr. Hicks. Now what? Well, it's too late to resurrect those careers, but it would sure cause current GMs to be a little more patient from now on, wouldn't it??

Yes, Mr. Aaron Hicks--the man who single-handedly changed the game of baseball. His name shall live in eternity! We are living in a very special time. There will never be another Aaron Hicks! Nor Elvis, nor the Beatles, nor Joe Cocker, nor the Retired_Doc!

Forum Regular

Aaron Hicks to be named as an All-Star??

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/ya...espnapi_public

Forum Regular

Hicksie with a big homer last nite (too bad the bullpen blew it), and now of course Hicksie just happens to be THE OBP leader on the team!! Oh my!

Forum Regular

Wow, we've been moved! I was wondering what all that noise was last night. They moved me in the middle of the night whilst I was sound asleep. Everything: Lock, stock and barrel. My bed, my desk, my computers, everything. I woke up this morning in a brand new place. Hey this is all new in here. I'm scared!

If this insanity is going to be moved to the Performance section it should be deleted. We already have a real Hicks performance thread.
    Calmer than you are

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    If this insanity is going to be moved to the Performance section it should be deleted. We already have a real Hicks performance thread.
    What are you, a clown?? (Oh wait.......)

That thread you're referring to started WEEKS after this one. Pay attention!

Thread Information