+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
    Addicted Member
    *70* year old Ex-New York Psychologist now in Europe

DON"T LIE!! Ok now to the truth: Did you think Hick's had it in him all along?

I know there were numerous fellas here who hated on Mr. Hicks. Tell the truth! Were you one of them? IF you were, do you now feel that you were wrong, or is Mr. Hicks just having a very temporary lucky streak?

Now IF you were a fan of Mr. Hicks all along, are you now proud of your previous allegiance to him?

Also, do you now feel that those who had been bad-mouthing him are now looking quite stupid?
    The Internet's most esteemed, experienced and entertaining poster--bar none! You can hate him, or love him, but you CANNOT avoid him!

Re: DON"T LIE!! Ok now to the truth: Did you think Hick's had it in him all along?

One game does not a 162 game season make. Let's revive this thread on Sept. 30.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Re: DON"T LIE!! Ok now to the truth: Did you think Hick's had it in him all along?

Well it is more than one game, he has played well since far this season but t I do agree with Ram, we shall see at the end of the year
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    Liked.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

It is way too early to ask this or even respond.

Since he is playing for my team, I want him to do well.

But, no one can know until Oct. 1
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Legend

Exactly

I've never been high on Hicks, but I always figured he had at least one good week in him.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired_Doc View Post
    I know there were numerous fellas here who hated on Mr. Hicks. Tell the truth! Were you one of them? IF you were, do you now feel that you were wrong, or is Mr. Hicks just having a very temporary lucky streak?

Now IF you were a fan of Mr. Hicks all along, are you now proud of your previous allegiance to him?

Also, do you now feel that those who had been bad-mouthing him are now looking quite stupid?
    Sweet Jesus, based on the tone of this post, you would think Hicks is leading the league in hitting or HRs after 50 games.

Talk about your premature threads. Get back to me at the All-Star break...
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Sweet Jesus, based on the tone of this post, you would think Hicks is leading the league in hitting or HRs after 50 games.

Talk about your premature threads. Get back to me at the All-Star break...
    Well at least one person is now willing to make a decision BEFORE October!

Praise the Lord (and pass the ammunition).
    The Internet's most esteemed, experienced and entertaining poster--bar none! You can hate him, or love him, but you CANNOT avoid him!

Addicted Member

Nonsense! You're telling me if Hicks is hitting over .300 on or around August 1, you wouldn't be impressed??

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    It is way too early to ask this or even respond.

Since he is playing for my team, I want him to do well.

But, no one can know until Oct. 1
    Hmmmm, well if it's way too early to respond, then why did you just respond?

NYYF Legend

1.200 OPS! Dude should be batting 4th every game! (internet sarcasm)

It's a small sample Doc. I hope he's "found something as a late bloomer" but if this early season success continues I for one will be surprised.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I've never been high on Hicks, but I always figured he had at least one good week in him.
    And if one good week becomes, say, two good months?

Well at least one person is now willing to make a decision BEFORE October!

Praise the Lord (and pass the ammunition).
    Well, if Hicks can remain consistently productive until the All-Star break, it would be a first in his ML career, as such, it would give reason for hope and optimism that he's turned a corner.

In the meantime, even a blind squirrel will find an occasional acorn....
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

I'm not a fan of Hicks. He hasn't shown the ability to hit in the past. He's had plenty of time to prove himself. He's also a bad OFer, albeit with speed that allows him to compensate for his bad routes. His instincts out there are poor.

All that said. He's on the team, they want to play him, so he should be given a shot.
    Again, he should rotate with Gardner & Ells (who are the Yankee past) and once a month or so spell Judge. To see what we may have.
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    1.200 OPS! Dude should be batting 4th every game! (internet sarcasm)

It's a small sample Doc. I hope he's "found something as a late bloomer" but if this early season success continues I for one will be surprised.
    ...and I will also be surprised (pleasantly), but what I'm seeking, primarily, is an admission from the Hicks-haters, that maybe, just maybe they were wrong about this young fellow!

I DO recall many haters saying Hicks was only seeing playing time because he's "Cashman's boy." But if Hicks is a success, then what will the haters say?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I'm not a fan of Hicks. He hasn't shown the ability to hit in the past. He's had plenty of time to prove himself. He's also a bad OFer, albeit with speed that allows him to compensate for his bad routes. His instincts out there are poor.

All that said. He's on the team, they want to play him, so he should be given a shot.
    Again, he should rotate with Gardner & Ells (who are the Yankee past) and once a month or so spell Judge. To see what we may have.
    My thinking is this: If we have any chance at the Playoffs this year then we need several surprise performances from players we didn't expect to impress. And based upon the negativity Hicks has always received here, he would then certainly qualify as a "surprise performer."

The beauty of baseball is that few teams win the WS year after year after year. Basketball, since it essentially only uses five players is much easier to predict. (Unless there's a major injury). So I want several "surprise performances." Go Hicks, go, baby!

NYYF Legend

...and I will also be surprised (pleasantly), but what I'm seeking, primarily, is an admission from the Hicks-haters, that maybe, just maybe they were wrong about this young fellow!

I DO recall many haters saying Hicks was only seeing playing time because he's "Cashman's boy." But if Hicks is a success, then what will the haters say?
    I could totally understand this response, and frankly this thread, much better if we were talking about a full season. Instead, you are basically asking people to eat crow based on a hot start after only 9 games. Hicks has had a good start to the season, great, hurrah, strike up the band. Now let's see him do it over a 162 game season and I'll eat all the crow that you want.

uh my prior was that he might have something.

so far evidence is pointing to, wait and see, preferably with consistent playing time
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    I could totally understand this response, and frankly this thread, much better if we were talking about a full season. Instead, you are basically people to eat crow based on a hot start after only 9 games. Hicks has had a good start to the season, great, hurrah, strike up the band. Now let's see him do it over a 162 game season and I'll eat all the crow that you want.
    No, I'm not asking people to eat crow quite yet. I'm essentially asking what do the haters currently feel about Hicks' situation now-a- days and his very good start.

AND, I'm asking are they preparing their apology speeches, just in case Hicks can keep it up.

(Say hello to Lex., KY for me. I lived there back in the 80's and 90's. Absolutely my favorite US city! Go Cats!)

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    uh my prior was that he might have something.

so far evidence is pointing to, wait and see, preferably with consistent playing time
    Well let's hope you're right. I want "surprise performances" from everyone we weren't expecting it from.

NYYF Legend

Hicks has 1300 MLB ABs and a career .224/.302/.351 line, his best season to date is 2015 where he hit a pedestrian .256/.323/.398.

Sure he could be a late bloomer who has found something. But odds are against it. More likely we have a player who is off to a nice start in a limited 21 PA sample. Honestly the thing I'm most excited about with Hicks is his 5 BB so far. That rate is more than twice his career rate.

If the BB rate change is indicative of an approach change then maybe he's found something. If not I suspect his ending slash line will look pretty similar to his career line.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Stephen Drew put together good games, even had a huge grand slam

Still was awful
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

And if one good week becomes, say, two good months?
    But it hasn't. It's one good week. No, I'm not preparing any apology speech.

If it does turn into two good months, well, I'm a former Melky hater. I have plenty of practice at not letting two good months convince me.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by jl25and3 View Post
    but it hasn't. It's one good week. No, i'm not preparing any apology speech.

If it does turn into two good months, well, i'm a former melky hater. I have plenty of practice at not letting two good months convince me.
    don't lie!!
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Thread Information