+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 ... LastLast
    Released Outright
    *70* year old Ex-New York Psychologist now in Europe

Re: DON"T LIE!! Ok now to the truth: Did you think Hick's had it in him all along?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    At least Hicks isn't a womanizing, drunken, gambler that I know of so he's got that on the Mick.
    It's not my concern what the Mick did in his own spare time. It's what he did on the field and in the clubhouse that concerns me.

Re: DON"T LIE!! Ok now to the truth: Did you think Hick's had it in him all along?

At least Hicks isn't a womanizing, drunken, gambler that I know of so he's got that on the Mick.
    Great as Mantle was, I'm not sure he was even the greatest womanizing, drunken gambler in Yankee history.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Great as Mantle was, I'm not sure he was even the greatest womanizing, drunken gambler in Yankee history.
    Then who was? Babe Ruth?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I think he had a lot of competition for that title, even among his contemporary teammates, let alone the whole history of the Yankees.

I was just outlining some of the ways Hicks didn't measure up to the Mick even off the diamond.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Retired_Doc, there is a poster named Balls-to-the-Wall that seems to be looking for you.
    Leotardo. That's my f***in' legacy... No more, Butchie. No more of this.

NYYF Legend

I do have to say though this is one of the most entertaining trollish thread since we lost the WinMethod.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Retired_Doc, there is a poster named Balls-to-the-Wall that seems to be looking for you.
    Sorry, never heard of this fellow. Who is he and where does he hang out?

Released Outright

I do have to say though this is one of the most entertaining trollish thread since we lost the WinMethod.
    Thank you, thank you. I'd like to thank the Academy for this honor. I'd like to thank both my father and mother who of course previously disowned me, I'd like to thank my latest wife of three weeks, and all the kids I've ever had in my lifetime. (Can't remember how many!) And a special thanks to the Site Owner of this esteemed message board complex for allowing me to post here, to the Moderators forced to put up with the hundreds of complaints about me, and all the round-the-clock technicians who have been hired since I joined here to handle the huge increase in bandwidth owing to the presence of the thousands of new "Guests" who have arrived here in droves and who follow my every written word!

Agreed.

How long before the peanut gallery starts to turn on each other for responding in this thread?
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Agreed.

How long before the peanut gallery starts to turn on each other for responding in this thread?
    Yep, peanut gallery which I remembered from Buffalo Bob and the "Howdy Doody Show."

But I come to find out it first really meant "cheap seats" and further, it referred to "less educated persons." Here:

The phrase comes from nineteenth-century vaudeville theatres and refers to the cheap seats at the back of the theatre or in the upper balcony. It came to be applied to other venues as well, referring to the section where less-educated or less-seriously-interested patrons sat. The "peanut" comes from the popularity of that cheap snack in those sections, and the possibility that patrons might throw peanuts at the stage if displeased.
    In the mid-twentieth century, the "Howdy Doody Show" associated "peanut gallery" specifically with children.

Hmmm, "If the peanut fits......."

Quote Originally Posted by Retired_Doc View Post
    Then who was? Babe Ruth?
    Yeah, I'd go with the Babe.

Yep, peanut gallery which I remembered from Buffalo Bob and the "Howdy Doody Show."

But I come to find out it first really meant "cheap seats" and further, it referred to "less educated persons." Here:

The phrase comes from nineteenth-century vaudeville theatres and refers to the cheap seats at the back of the theatre or in the upper balcony. It came to be applied to other venues as well, referring to the section where less-educated or less-seriously-interested patrons sat. The "peanut" comes from the popularity of that cheap snack in those sections, and the possibility that patrons might throw peanuts at the stage if displeased.
    In the mid-twentieth century, the "Howdy Doody Show" associated "peanut gallery" specifically with children.

Hmmm, "If the peanut fits......."
    I use "peanut gallery", even though some feel it's insulting. I think of them more as being hecklers and tossing peanuts.

The day JL25and3 stops using it is the day I'll stop using it.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

NYYF Legend

I am offended anyone is offended by the term "Peanut Gallery".

cashew gallery?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    cashew gallery?
    Too expensive to throw.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Too expensive to throw.
    Don't even think then about the Pistachio Gallery or the Macadamia Gallery.
    Posts in invisible key strokes

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Too expensive to throw.
    or more importantly, too damn delicious to waste.

Released Outright

Wow, suddenly this thread has gone NUTS!

NYYF Legend

Wow, suddenly this thread has gone NUTS!
    That happened on 4/14 at around 3:30 eastern daylight time (US).
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    That happened on 4/14 at around 3:30 eastern daylight time (US).
    Gee, I wouldn't know. I was flying over Southern Europe at that time and musta missed all the excitement. What exactly happened? Why does this thread have so much activity? And what exactly makes it "nuts" in your professional opinion?

NYYF Legend

Gee, I wouldn't know. I was flying over Southern Europe at that time and musta missed all the excitement. What exactly happened? Why does this thread have so much activity? And what exactly makes it "nuts" in your professional opinion?
    -That's when the thread was started.
    -Because people can't look away from train wrecks.
    -I'm not a professional, but because people can't look away from train wrecks.

Released Outright

-That's when the thread was started.
    -Because people can't look away from train wrecks.
    -I'm not a professional, but because people can't look away from train wrecks.
    You appear to be "fixated" on train wrecks. Anything in your early life whilst growing up that may have caused this phenomenon?

NYYF Legend

You appear to be "fixated" on train wrecks. Anything in your early life whilst growing up that may have caused this phenomenon?
    I was grounded for a month the summer I was 8 years old for crossing Main Street and walking along the train tracks. That's the only thing I can think of.

NYYF Legend

I was grounded for a month the summer I was 8 years old for crossing Main Street and walking along the train tracks. That's the only thing I can think of.
    This did make me think of a story though. Semi-related?

A few years back I was thinking about leaving my position and looking for something a little closer to home. I was grooming my assistant to learn my duties. I didn't want to play my hand and let everyone know I was possibly moving on. So every time I taught my assistant something new, I prefaced it by saying I was doing so in case I got hit by a bus.

After a few weeks of saying this, she tells me that her aunt was hit by a bus and was killed.

The next time I went to teach her something, I asked if anyone she knew ever fell off a ledge.

Released Outright

This did make me think of a story though. Semi-related?

A few years back I was thinking about leaving my position and looking for something a little closer to home. I was grooming my assistant to learn my duties. I didn't want to play my hand and let everyone know I was possibly moving on. So every time I taught my assistant something new, I prefaced it by saying I was doing so in case I got hit by a bus.

After a few weeks of saying this, she tells me that her aunt was hit by a bus and was killed.

The next time I went to teach her something, I asked if anyone she knew ever fell off a ledge.
    Ok JD, the situation is now crystal clear! Yes, both circumstances are related and both contribute to this fixation you have on "train wrecks" and indeed upon "accidents and tragedies."

I hope you are now feeling better having had the opportunity to relate these upsetting events of the past. Sometimes, simply poring through previous issues (long buried) and speaking or writing of them can do wonders for you. Good job!

Thread Information