+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast
    Released Outright
    *70* year old Ex-New York Psychologist now in Europe

Re: DON"T LIE!! Ok now to the truth: Did you think Hick's had it in him all along?

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    I'm in neither camp as it is win's all the way.
    Yep I don't care about that wins/WINS foolishness. Put me in the "WINNING" group.

Re: DON"T LIE!! Ok now to the truth: Did you think Hick's had it in him all along?

I'm in neither camp as it is win's all the way.

Released Outright

...and yet once again Mr. HICKS makes fools of those who insisted on his demise. Better get those apologies ready, inaccurate prognosticators!

nobody is that accurate with baseball. it's all probabilities. sometimes things work out etc.

If he's still doing this in a month I'll be impressed. And as long as he isn't taking PAs away from AJ99.
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    nobody is that accurate with baseball. it's all probabilities. sometimes things work out etc.
    THAT is not the point. Mr. Hicks suffered through an inordinate and overwhelmingly negative reaction to his career as a Yankee. The naysayers were out in full force, and at this particular stage they are looking mighty stupid!

NYYF Legend

Mr Hicks put on an inordinate and overwhelmingly negative display of baseball ability as a Yankee.

NYYF Legend

All that I can add at this point, what in the F is going on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Retired_Doc View Post
    The naysayers were out in full force, and at this particular stage they are looking mighty stupid!
    You mean 2 weeks into the season, right? That's always a good way to judge a player.

THAT is not the point. Mr. Hicks suffered through an inordinate and overwhelmingly negative reaction to his career as a Yankee. The naysayers were out in full force, and at this particular stage they are looking mighty stupid!
    The only thing stupid is ignoring 4 years of sucktitude in favor of 20 AB.

You cannot possibly be serious...
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    The only thing stupid is ignoring 4 years of sucktitude in favor of 20 AB.

You cannot possibly be serious...
    OF COURSE I'm serious. Listen, it was right here on the very pages of this esteemed website where poor Mr. Hicks received tremendous abuse. Abuse not deserved by any uniform-wearing NY Yankees player. It was right here where Mr. Hicks was torn-apart by the vultures claiming to be loyal and trusted Yankees fans. It was here that Mr. Hicks was belittled and harassed to the point of abject absurdity.

And I hope, beyond hope, that eventually all the loudmouths who belittled Mr. Hicks are caused to profusely apologize to this fine young man, his family, and the scant few here who supported him. Apologies better be forthcoming!

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Mr Hicks put on an inordinate and overwhelmingly negative display of baseball ability as a Yankee.
    Ye of little faith!

Released Outright

All that I can add at this point, what in the F is going on here?
    What is going on here is that the "Herd mentality" is taking it on the chin. The "Herd mentality" who circled the wagons to join their respective fellow posters as a marauding band seeking to destroy a given young man's Yankees career are suddenly not looking so smart, now are they?

I suspect what we will soon see is even more posters now joining the "herd" as they "imagine" that they're being collectively and individually attacked!

"Circle the wagons, boys."

Am I the only one who feels that Hicks is a much better center fielder than right or left fielder? I know you lose some of his throwing ability in center, but he seems to take much better routes to the ball and just looks more natural in CF.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Well-stated, in a sense, but still woefully lacking in the very context of this discussion.

Hicks is 27 years old, has over 1100 major league at-bats and a lifetime average of .224. When the average goes over .250 we'll talk about how good he is or isn't. The only thing you can say about this year so far is that 8 walks in 30 plate appearances is impressive.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Hicks is 27 years old, has over 1100 major league at-bats and a lifetime average of .224.
    Spread over 4 seasons, that means he's averaging less than 300 ABs per season - about 90 games per season. It's not surprising that Hicks put up his best numbers in 2015, when he had the most PAs. Nor is it surprising the Yankee organization took a chance on him replacing an older more expensive 4th OFer who has less overall talent. Chris Young had already adapted to his role as a 4th OFer and had figured out how to prepare himself when he became a Yankee. In looking at his stats each season, his numbers dropped off when he began playing part time.

My guess is this is typical. I can only imagine how tough it would be for a highly regarded everyday player to adjust to playing half the time (after playing all the time his whole life) and still be as productive. Not to mention he has to do it at the highest level of competition there is. Also, for 3 of those seasons he was on a team that has always had an inferior offense, which I'm sure affected his opportunities.

It is so obvious the guy has talent. I understand he's not a starter with the Yankees, but only because Gardner and Ellsbury are in his way. He is the epitome of what a 4th OFer should be, and should be appreciated much more than he is. The fan base should be supporting him, not walking around saying he has no business being in the big leagues.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

can't really blame people for being down on hicks.

he had little track record to be optimistic about, sucked to the tune of a sub .600 ops for large stretch of the year, took amazingly bad routes to the ball in the outfield. was basically a half tool player with the arm lol.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Spread over 4 seasons, that means he's averaging less than 300 ABs per season - about 90 games per season. It's not surprising that Hicks put up his best numbers in 2015, when he had the most PAs. Nor is it surprising the Yankee organization took a chance on him replacing an older more expensive 4th OFer who has less overall talent. Chris Young had already adapted to his role as a 4th OFer and had figured out how to prepare himself when he became a Yankee. In looking at his stats each season, his numbers dropped off when he began playing part time.

My guess is this is typical. I can only imagine how tough it would be for a highly regarded everyday player to adjust to playing half the time (after playing all the time his whole life) and still be as productive. Not to mention he has to do it at the highest level of competition there is. Also, for 3 of those seasons he was on a team that has always had an inferior offense, which I'm sure affected his opportunities.

It is so obvious the guy has talent. I understand he's not a starter with the Yankees, but only because Gardner and Ellsbury are in his way. He is the epitome of what a 4th OFer should be, and should be appreciated much more than he is. The fan base should be supporting him, not walking around saying he has no business being in the big leagues.
    An excellent post! Finally someone here has the intestinal fortitude to stand up to the "herd mentality!"

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post

The only problem I had with him was interfering with Judge being a full time player. He can take all the at bats he wants away from Ellsbury. Since that is what is happening, I am laying off the problem of him starting.

I obviously am joking, I have no problem with him personally. And I supported his acquisition, thinking he was much better than he had shown. I don't think he's a full time OFer, but I have no issue with him being a 4th.

I don't boo my players. So if he is on this team and playing I'm going to hope for nothing but the best. But again, I do have a problem if he takes away any amount of time from one of the guys we've been waiting for. But that problem is with Girardi, not Hicks.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

NYYF Legend

Once in a while these joke threads are entertaining.
    There's a fat old lady outside the saloon, laying out the credit cards she plays Fortune.
    The deck is uneven right from the start, and all of their hands are playing apart

NYYF Legend

I think people need to realize Judge is not starting 162 games in any year. As a result Hicks will be starting for him and "taking at bats" from him.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Once in a while these joke threads are entertaining.
    "Joke threads?" Nothing here in the jocular vein.

Of course this thread is entertaining. I authored it didn't I? I am THE preeminent Internet poster of all time. Bar none! Al Gore and I invented this Internet thing together.

You are all most fortunate to have me here. Better enjoy me whilst you can. My time is limited!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I think people need to realize Judge is not starting 162 games in any year. As a result Hicks will be starting for him and "taking at bats" from him.
    Yeah, this rationalization is fine when the team is in a stretch of 30 games in 31 days (as another poster noted in another thread). There is absolutely no reason to be "resting" Judge 10 games into the season with 4 off days sprinkled in. That's called shoe horning Hicks into the lineup at the expense of Judge's development.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

My time is limited!

So is mine, and everyone else's.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information