+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Re: 2017 Jordan Montgomery thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post

But Montgomery has had the best rookie year of any starter in pinstripes since Andy Pettitte
    Kinda doesn't get mentioned, but.....he kinda is this generations Andy Pettitte.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    He got lucky that Hicks hauled that fly in.
    All pitchers get lucky and unlucky. Where do his peripherals lie is the better question.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Kinda doesn't get mentioned, but.....he kinda is this generations Andy Pettitte.
    Agree, I see similarities. In terms of delivery, and I've said this before but no one reacted because i am as old as dirt, he reminds me of a guy the Yankees had in the mid-70s and re-acquired in the early 1980s named Rudy May. Delivery is VERY similar. But Rudy depended on a booming curve and a Vaseline fastball, repertoires are not alike.

At any rate, excited about his future. Solid rookie year and he looks like a learner.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Agree, I see similarities. In terms of delivery, and I've said this before but no one reacted because i am as old as dirt, he reminds me of a guy the Yankees had in the mid-70s and re-acquired in the early 1980s named Rudy May. Delivery is VERY similar. But Rudy depended on a booming curve and a Vaseline fastball, repertoires are not alike.

At any rate, excited about his future. Solid rookie year and he looks like a learner.
    As I recall, Rudy May was more 3/4 delivery which enabled that curve to give fits to LH hitters. Monty comes over the top and really doesn't remind me of anyone else.

NYYF HOF

If he wins today, he will become the seventh Yankee rookie at get at least 10 wins with fewer than 160 innings. The Yankees to do that were Russ Van Atta in 1933, Atley Donald in 1939, Ron Davis in 1979, Orlando Hernandez in 1998, Alfredo Aceves in 2009, and Masahiro Tanaka in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post

Interesting take.

The guy Montgomery reminds me of in terms of both delivery and physical stature is former Yankee Dennis Rasmussen. Based on memory, I believe Monty throws much harder, though.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF HOF

He lowered his ERA to 3.88 and gets another no decision to finish 9-7. He became the 28th rookie with at least 29 starts and fewer than one-fourth as many losses as starts (I didn't say "losses in fewer than one-fourth of his starts because pitchers could have gotten relief losses). The only previous Yankee rookie to do that was Russ Ford in 1910. He and Colorado's German Marquez made this the third year that two rookies did that. The previous two times were Damian Moss and Jason Jennings in 2002 and King Cole and the aforementioned Russ Ford in 1910. Montgomery's 9 wins make him the first rookie to do that with fewer than 11 wins, and he has the fewest innings of those 28 pitchers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Interesting take.

The guy Montgomery reminds me of in terms of both delivery and physical stature is former Yankee Dennis Rasmussen. Based on memory, I believe Monty throws much harder, though.

Zim, that's a good one!! Didn't think of that, but that is really a good comparison. Monty does throw harder, but there are similarities.

Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Zim, that's a good one!! Didn't think of that, but that is really a good comparison. Monty does throw harder, but there are similarities.

Good job.
    Thanks, man!
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/262524...icid=151437456

Jordan Montgomery, LHP, Yankees

The 24-year-old finished third on the club in starts (29) and innings (155 1/3), while posting a 3.88 ERA. Of his 144 strikeouts, 108 came on breaking balls, a total that tied him for 11th in the Majors, just behind Justin Verlander and Zack Greinke. Montgomery excelled at getting opponents to chase his curveball and slider, which they did 36.8 percent of the time he threw them out of the zone. Batters missed 67.2 percent of those chased swings, putting Montgomery eighth out of 30 pitchers (minimum 150 swings), sandwiched between Chris Sale and Clayton Kershaw.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    He lowered his ERA to 3.88 and gets another no decision to finish 9-7. He became the 28th rookie with at least 29 starts and fewer than one-fourth as many losses as starts (I didn't say "losses in fewer than one-fourth of his starts because pitchers could have gotten relief losses). The only previous Yankee rookie to do that was Russ Ford in 1910. He and Colorado's German Marquez made this the third year that two rookies did that. The previous two times were Damian Moss and Jason Jennings in 2002 and King Cole and the aforementioned Russ Ford in 1910. Montgomery's 9 wins make him the first rookie to do that with fewer than 11 wins, and he has the fewest innings of those 28 pitchers.
    I enjoy your esoteric stats. Thanks.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    He's got some great potential IMO. Only 24 years old with such great swing and miss stuff.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

I still remember the arguments I had with Yankyfan re: Monty's velocity while in the minors. Still baffles me why some thought he was an 88-90 soft tosser.

Montgomery had a great rookie year. Hopefully he can build on that in 2018.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Thread Information