+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

2017 Jordan Montgomery thread

Solid outing. Loses command a bit at times. However, swing and miss stuff certainly there.

Only downside to Montgomery is his weird parents. That interview was cringe worthy.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Re: 2017 Jordan Montgomery thread

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Solid outing. Loses command a bit at times. However, swing and miss stuff certainly there.

Only downside to Montgomery is his weird parents. That interview was cringe worthy.
    I stated in the game thread that they looked like nice people who were uncomfortable in the spotlight.
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

NYYF Legend

...oh, and Girardi needed to give him another batter to try to get through 5.

But, Girardi is not a good manager, so he didn't.
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I stated in the game thread that they looked like nice people who were uncomfortable in the spotlight.
    Yeah. That's about right. They definitely didn't want to be interviewed.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Yeah. That's about right. They definitely didn't want to be interviewed.
    The suspects that I arrest are more forthcoming with information.
    Montgomery did a good job today and his only real mistake was that HR pitch to Weeks. He looked like he had a plan, was not fazed when runners got on base, and hopefully this is a sign of many good things to come from him.

NYYF MVP

Good performance, especially after the early HR. The strikeouts are a great sign. None of his stuff really jumps off the page but he was able to mix his pitches well and throw everything effectively. Got a lot of swings and misses with the slider.

NYYF Legend

Any readings on velocity?
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    There's an issue with the radar guns. MLB is working on the issue.

No joke.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Never judge a man by his parents. That's what John's kids say!
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Legend

So did he win the rookie of the year award yet?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Gameday had him sitting 93 for the first few batters of the game.

Hopefully Brooks has something

93 is fine for this dude. I like what I saw... I think he doesn't faze easily

Could be a solid 3-4 starter for years to come. We shall see

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    So did he win the rookie of the year award yet?
    Judge says, not so fast...
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Judge says, not so fast...
    I thought Judge had too many PAs last year to qualify.

edit: guess not Judge is still eligible.

Guess Monty will just have to settle for the cy-young award
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I thought Judge had too many PAs last year to qualify.

edit: guess not Judge is still eligible.

Guess Monty will just have to settle for the cy-young award
    Yes Judge is still Rookie eligible. Montgomery will definitely have to settle for Cy Young. Looking forward to seeing him pitch against a better hitting team.

NYYF MVP

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/...amlb_nyamlb_1/

Not sure if this link will work, but the stuff for today is on Brooks. I'm also unable to confirm whether this information is correct, but it seems like he was sitting 90-92, but was able to crank it up to 93 a few times. I really like what I see out of the release point information, which seems super tight. That should make it difficult for opposing batters to read the pitch coming out of the hand, which can help give him some wiggle room.

I want to assess more of these results, but my colorblinded-ness is a real ball breaker on Brooks lol. I might have to take this info into Photoshop just to see what I'm looking at.

EDIT: Also not sure the pitch labels on the top are completely correct. Does he throw 6 pitches? Because they don't have the change listed, and that's supposed to be his best pitch. Going by the Spin x Speed graph, I'm going to go ahead and say he threw 8 change ups and 7 curveballs that were a bit spotty in terms of spin rate.

Finally got to watch the whole start and man, great stuff from Montgomery. Readings are totally unreliable from Brooks. Not the right number of pitches, pitch types misregistering and it had his average FB around 88.7 which would mean he was basically sitting 88-89. No chance. Gameday had him sitting 93 the whole first inning when I was following along live.

Anyway, all you need to know about Montgomery's stuff is the 17 friggin' swings and misses on 89 pitches today. That is fantastic. His changeup is a blatant plus pitch. His ability to command and locate the slider in on righties and throw his curveball in any count makes two average pitches play up. You heard Coney talk about how he had really good stuff as well and I trust his take more than anyone in the game.

I don't see him being an amazing starter but he has #3 ceiling and the pitchability to offer consistency at the back of our rotation. He'll take lumps when his location is off - more so than maybe other pitchers - but got to love his ability.

NYYF MVP

I would ignore the velocity table on the top and I don't trust the Gameday, which went down after some strange readings. The actual pitch scatter plots seem reasonable to me. 90-93 on the fastball is basically what he has been reported to throw and I don't think it looked "sitting 93" at any point during the game today, at least with my semi-trained eye.

Either way, having a 4-6 pitch mix, all from the same arm slot, with distinct differences in movement is more than enough to make up for a fastball with average velocity. The spin rate on the fastball seems good, too.

This table has all of the raw data. I haven't worked with any of this type of stuff before, but I'm pretty well-versed in Excel, so I might look through the info later on.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/...700&v_size=500

Why did he exit early? Pitch count? Get into trouble? Or just Girardis normal problem of a guy he doesn't fully trust giving up a base runner in the 5th and yanking him?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Why did he exit early? Pitch count? Get into trouble? Or just Girardis normal problem of a guy he doesn't fully trust giving up a base runner in the 5th and yanking him?
    Jimmie Foxx was due up.

I expect real and accurate information, yo. Don't mislead me or the members of this site. We're counting on your accuracy.

NYYF Legend

Mainly pitch coint. He has yet to throw more than 77 pitches this season.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Mainly pitch coint. He has yet to throw more than 77 pitches this season.
    Have you come across information about if this is going to last any length of time? Will they be stepping up the pitch count each start? I certainly hope so. I don't want to see him yanked at the first sign of trouble. He needs to be comfortable and learn how to get out of jams or work with runners on base late in the game. If he starts to worry about letting up a baserunner in the 5th and getting pulled, he's going to let up baserunners in the 5th and get pulled. Unneeded stress.
    If fascism comes to America, it will come under the guise of anti-fascism.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

I expect real and accurate information, yo. Don't mislead me or the members of this site. We're counting on your accuracy.
    well played.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Quote Originally Posted by DaBliz View Post
    I would ignore the velocity table on the top and I don't trust the Gameday, which went down after some strange readings. The actual pitch scatter plots seem reasonable to me. 90-93 on the fastball is basically what he has been reported to throw and I don't think it looked "sitting 93" at any point during the game today, at least with my semi-trained eye.

Either way, having a 4-6 pitch mix, all from the same arm slot, with distinct differences in movement is more than enough to make up for a fastball with average velocity. The spin rate on the fastball seems good, too.

This table has all of the raw data. I haven't worked with any of this type of stuff before, but I'm pretty well-versed in Excel, so I might look through the info later on.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/...700&v_size=500
    If the uptick last year and during ST is real he no longer has an average fastball. It's above average based on velo/movement/command and that he is a LHSP. He's sat 90-93 in the past but touches 95. He was sitting 93 during the spring and hitting 94-95 regularly. That's above average for a LHSP.

Are you suggesting you could tell "by your eye" the difference between a fastball ranging 90-93 and one that is sitting 93? I hope that's not what you meant and I am misunderstanding your point. Because that's impossible. Maybe if it was 99 vs 90-93.

The readings went down with every source except the stadium gun, not just Gameday. Hence why the Brooks data is out of whack. However, the first inning Gameday had both starters sitting around 93 which makes sense for Snell too, who was hitting mid 90s.

Thread Information