+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Re: 2017 Jordan Montgomery thread

Predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Command doesn't evolve for everyone. It did for Pettitte and Randy Johnson, two tall pitchers, so many it happens for Montgomery, but we might not know for a year or two. The club needs to keep having patience with young players like him. The fans do too.
    This..... though it will most likely not happen.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

it's not that bad.

we know he's gotta improve control, but two things.

he has a rare ability to make hitters miss. when he's on he has pretty decent in-zone command.

this is a solid base to build on. just get the repetition down and perhaps opt for more movement.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    Jordan "Three Card" Monty ... Wish his game could be fixed!

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

I'd like to see some patience with this kid. He's demonstrated that he has the tools. Experience should help.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

These are thr lumps you take breaking in a rookie starter to find out what he actually is.

Cruised through most of the game and was typical chicken................ overmanaging by Girardi. Good lesson to pass along to your young starters. Don't give up a solo HR or we'll pull you even if you've been dominant for 6+ innings and are under 100 pitches.

I called it when he pulled Montgomery that it was micromanaging. Infuriating. He deserved a shot to get through 7 and possibly start the 8th.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Cruised through most of the game and was typical chicken................ overmanaging by Girardi. Good lesson to pass along to your young starters. Don't give up a solo HR or we'll pull you even if you've been dominant for 6+ innings and are under 100 pitches.

I called it when he pulled Montgomery that it was micromanaging. Infuriating. He deserved a shot to get through 7 and possibly start the 8th.
    I didn't get mad at him getting pulled, but I definitely wanted him to stay in for several reasons.

He was still one of the bright spots tonight.

Montgomery gave up a missile for a HR to Cain and then Hosmer lined out hard to Castro. He was at 98 pitches at that point and the lead was 2-1 in the 7th. Monty pitched a good game overall, but I had no problems going to the pen.

Monty threw a lot more strikes, which is a good sign, but he also came within an eyelash of giving up 5 homers instead of one. There's a lot more work to do.
    Let the kids play.

Oh please. He was at 98 pitches and was lucky it was just 1 run he gave up to that point. He pitched great but it was time to come out. So if he stayed in the game and gave it up then the cry would be why did he leave him in there.

It was the right call you DON'T leave a rookie in there after 98 pitches and out of gas.

NYYF Legend

There was another "binder" reason to possibly keep Montgomery in the game and that is the fact that Perez for this season is hitting .330 vs RH and only .184 vs LH.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...&year=2017&t=b

Make the Yankees great again!!

Mel, Montgomery was not cruising, there were more than a few very loud outs including four balls hit to the wall and at least two to deep left center that would have been homeruns in most parks. It was a bad night for the bullpen, everyone gave up a dinger. It happens.

NYYF Legend

0 BBs. Huge step. Keep that going. Everything else will fall into place.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Make the Yankees great again!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    0 BBs. Huge step. Keep that going. Everything else will fall into place.
    0 BBs is encouraging, however his command is still problematic, missed his location badly several times last night and got lucky with balls being caught right at the wall. I've advocated for Montgomery since I saw him in Trenton last year and want him to stay in the rotation, but he needs to improve command in order to stay in the rotation long term.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    0 BBs is encouraging, however his command is still problematic, missed his location badly several times last night and got lucky with balls being caught right at the wall. I've advocated for Montgomery since I saw him in Trenton last year and want him to stay in the rotation, but he needs to improve command in order to stay in the rotation long term.
    Command and control are different things. I'm just talking about the latter.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post
    Oh please. He was at 98 pitches and was lucky it was just 1 run he gave up to that point. He pitched great but it was time to come out. So if he stayed in the game and gave it up then the cry would be why did he leave him in there.

It was the right call you DON'T leave a rookie in there after 98 pitches and out of gas.
    Yea, rookies have been shown to implode at 99 pitches on the dot with near certainty.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    Montgomery gave up a missile for a HR to Cain and then Hosmer lined out hard to Castro. He was at 98 pitches at that point and the lead was 2-1 in the 7th. Monty pitched a good game overall, but I had no problems going to the pen.

I also saw it this way. No issues at all with removing him there. Perez has some serious pop, and Montgomery was at his 2nd highest pitch count, and maybe tiring a bit.

Edit: What jeterrules and Bub said. All true. It was time to remove him.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    There was another "binder" reason to possibly keep Montgomery in the game and that is the fact that Perez for this season is hitting .330 vs RH and only .184 vs LH.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...&year=2017&t=b
    Maybe, just maybe, Girardi does not actually manage straight by the book (i.e.; the binder). Maybe he goes by what his eyes are telling him.

Hmmmmmm.........

That's fine, but I did. It's more the big picture in terms of Girardi micromanaging situations such as that. He had allowed 1 hit (and no walks) through 6.1 IP until the Cain HR.

Severino proved exactly why you give a young starter a chance to get out of a jam or respond to adversity. He may just surprise you and, if he gets beat, he gets to learn. The only way to learn how to tough through more than 100 pitches (gasp!) is to let a starter throw more than 100 pitches. Montgomery's pitches per inning was extremely economical barring the third inning. He did not labor at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post

Please what? I've been totally consistent on this for years. I want the starter to get a chance to be able to experience some adversity if he's earned it, as Monty had. It's not like he was at 110 pitches. He was at 98. Big deal. Again, he had been economical with his pitches per inning. Had he given up the lead I absolutely would not have "cried" about it. Sorry. I would've supported Girardi's decision to reward Montgomery with the chance to finish the 7th with 2 outs and nobody on base.

Also, he wasn't out of gas. That's just fabrication. He was sitting 92-93 in the 6th and 7th and hit 94 multiple times in the 7th, which aside from a couple 95's, was as hard as he'd thrown all outing. The HR that Cain hit was on a 94-mph fastball he didn't get up enough. Plenty in the tank and his velo/stuff was not declining.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Mel, Montgomery was not cruising, there were more than a few very loud outs including four balls hit to the wall and at least two to deep left center that would have been homeruns in most parks. It was a bad night for the bullpen, everyone gave up a dinger. It happens.
    Huh? One out into the 7th, he had given up 1 hit (his only baserunner). Hard outs and deep flyouts do not change the way he pitched. In terms of your "home runs," he's a cerebral lefty pitching in YS. Using the deepest part of the ballpark to his advantage is not a knock.

And, he certainly was cruising in terms of pitches per inning, which was my point and why he was not laboring by the 7th.

It's not even about the result, I would've been annoyed with the philosophy even had Warren come in and gotten the last out. Again, Severino showed tonight exactly why I wanted Monty to get a chance to finish the 7th and, god forbid, throw more than 100 pitches. Some of you are reacting as if Montgomery had the bases loaded with one out or something. Disagreeing with my feeling is fine, but considering it a no-brainer is silly.

This is Severino's THIRD season in the big leagues. Monty was making his 8th start of his ROOKIE season. Severino should get more leash to work out of trouble. He's got more experience under his belt and it's a sink or swim type of season for him. Monty will get his chances in due time.

But to ridicule Girardi for pulling JM at that moment was, well, ridiculous.

This is Severino's THIRD season in the big leagues. Monty was making his 8th start of his ROOKIE season. Severino should get more leash to work out of trouble. He's got more experience under his belt and it's a sink or swim type of season for him. Monty will get his chances in due time.

But to ridicule Girardi for pulling JM at that moment was, well, ridiculous.
    Again, I did not "ridicule" him for this one instance because it's one in a long line of examples in which Girardi has jumped the gun with starters (young and veteran). Also, Severino is not in his THIRD!!1 season in the majors. He was up for two months two years ago, was up for a limited period starting in which he was an abomination last year and finishing another two months in 2017. You're talking just about one full season of starting experience.

Montgomery is actually older than Severino by 1.5 years and pitched in the CWS on top of his pro seasons absolutely dominating in the minors with mature pitchability and poise. This isn't some bright-eyed phenom with a fragile makeup we're discussing. The kid could/should have gotten a shot to get one more out with the bases empty and only 98 low-leverage pitches thrown.

I clearly said I get it if people want to disagree. Calling my point of view ridiculous makes you sound like the one being ridiculous.

Severino started 11 games for the Yanks in 2015. He started 11 games for them in 2016. He's made 9 starts this year. Yes, THREE seasons.

Those previous 22 games, especially the 11 starts in 2016 in which he struggled mightily, are paying off for Severino. Much like the 95 PAs that Judge suffered through last season are paying off for him now. Montgomery may be chronologically older than Severino, but in terms of valuable MLB experience, it isn't close at this point in time.

As for Girardi's move to pull Montgomery being "typical chickensh*t overmanaging". Yes, that sort of ridicule is fodder for ridicule.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Severino started 11 games for the Yanks in 2015. He started 11 games for them in 2016. He's made 9 starts this year. Yes, THREE seasons.

Those previous 22 games, especially the 11 starts in 2016 in which he struggled mightily, are paying off for Severino. Much like the 95 PAs that Judge suffered through last season are paying off for him now. Montgomery may be chronologically older than Severino, but in terms of valuable MLB experience, it isn't close at this point in time.

As for Girardi's move to pull Montgomery being "typical chickensh*t overmanaging". Yes, that sort of ridicule is fodder for ridicule.
    Well then that's being misleading. He has pitched all of 188 innings in his career. His arb clock and you are in severe disagreement.

Even if that did matter. Why does pitching 3 seasons vs. 1 give Severino the freedom to pitch deeper into games? Is this HS and Montgomery is getting the freshman treatment?

If service time was important, Joe wouldn't have let him pitch 6 and 2/3 innings anyhow.

Thread Information