+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast

Re: 2017 Jordan Montgomery thread

He's going to be a 4th/5th starter but that's better than paying some old way pass his prime vet, to be that.

Suspended

Too early to put labels on him. I'm excited to see what he does over a large sample, good or bad. He's very intriguing.

NYYF Legend

I like what I have seen so far from Montgomery and look forward to seeing if he can develop into a solid piece of the rotation. It would be great if he turned out to be a #3 starter or as another poster said, Andy Pettitte.

NYYF Legend

His lack of out pitch really limits his ceiling. I view him as a No.4/5 starter at this stage and that's enough for me. A lefty who could provide league average ERA and innings are valuable. Anything more than that is a bonus to me.

he can get strikeouts fine. occasional wildness and giving up homers on some ill placed fastballs, but he's striking out a lot of guys

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    His lack of out pitch really limits his ceiling. I view him as a No.4/5 starter at this stage and that's enough for me. A lefty who could provide league average ERA and innings are valuable. Anything more than that is a bonus to me.
    His changeup had a whiff rate of 26.7% and slider 23.1% yesterday. That's two out pitches. I really don't think that's his problem, it's more command/control for me.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    he can get strikeouts fine. occasional wildness and giving up homers on some ill placed fastballs, but he's striking out a lot of guys
    It has more to do with his arsenal and command than his pitch quality. He has lots of major league quality pitches but I don't see an out pitch so far. Not to say that he could not be a good pitcher, just think that it would limit his ceiling.

i mean, ok. but that's a bit wide of a definition for 'out pitch'

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    He's going to be a 4th/5th starter but that's better than paying some old way pass his prime vet, to be that.
    yep. if i'm right, montgomery won't be a FA until he's 30yo so you're getting his best years at a small rate. these level of pitcher, before FA are exceedingly valuable.

i think he has an out pitch good enough for a back end starter. if his locate improves he can be better than that.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Lack of an out pitch? His changeup is the definition of an out pitch. Can get swings and misses on it in any count. He is also backfooting his slider to RHH's with much more command than expected. He can throw it down and away to lefties as well. He has at least one out pitch and appears to have developed a second.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Lack of an out pitch? His changeup is the definition of an out pitch. Can get swings and misses on it in any count. He is also backfooting his slider to RHH's with much more command than expected. He can throw it down and away to lefties as well. He has at least one out pitch and appears to have developed a second.
    yeah, so far, i think he has the arsenal to succeed. to be even better, his FB command probably need to improve.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

uh so according to statcast he has above average extension but his perceived velo is lower than actual velo.

i guess not quite enough extension to be david robertsonesque

Suspended

uh so according to statcast he has above average extension but his perceived velo is lower than actual velo.

i guess not quite enough extension to be david robertsonesque
    How is that possible? I thought perceived velocity in statcast was some formula combining velocity and extension, what else is in play?

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    How is that possible?
    statcast has perceived velo lower than release velo by like 1 mph for everyone. i guess monty's perceived velo is just less lower, but still lower, than the release point velo.

dont know their calculation etc to see what's going on

Suspended

statcast has perceived velo lower than release velo by like 1 mph for everyone. i guess monty's perceived velo is just less lower, but still lower, than the release point velo.

dont know their calculation etc to see what's going on
    Yeah. See edit. I don't get the formula they use. However, I thought velocity + above average extension = velocity + whatever above average extension #

Worth noting, that statcast was for his 4 seamer, he throws his 2 seamer 3% more.

Yeah. See edit. I don't get the formula they use. However, I thought velocity + above average extension = velocity + whatever above average extension #

Worth noting, that statcast was for his 4 seamer, he throws his 2 seamer 3% more.
    yea he still has 'above average perceived velo' in terms of getting a bonus from the extension compared to league avg, but it's not that significant at least from the 4 seamer data.

Suspended

Command/control issues again. Looking at the splits it appears he has problems in the 1st inning. Needs to sharpen up if he's going to become anything.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...&year=2017&t=p

he's not the only guy on this staff that has this problem. coaching problem

Suspended

True dat

NYYF MVP

Is that just a Yankees thing, or is that widespread to have control issues on your first few batters? It seems to me that once guys get into a rhythm that they'll walk less (and maybe walk more when they get tired at the end of their appearance).

NYYF Legend

it figures that both walks that Montgomery issued were the two runs that scored.

NYYF Legend

First career road game, Cy Nova, terrible approaches at the plate by Hicks and Kozma in the 9th, not to mention earlier blown opportunities.

I will take 2 runs allowed by the SP any day, no matter how they scored. That should be good enough with the offense the Yankees have shown early on.

Suspended

PITTSBURGH -- It was Jordan Montgomery's best start of the three he has made this season in his brief Yankees career, but the rookie left-hander found little comfort in that on Sunday. New York lost the game and, by his own admission, he wasn't very good.

"I really never had everything going," Montgomery said. "I never expect to have everything, but I didn't have much today, at all. I tried to battle and keep us in it."

"I've been like this my whole life," said Montgomery, a native South Carolinian. "It's nothing new. That's really when you just got to buckle down and compete. I've always been a competitor. That's just one of my strengths. I'm really a competitive guy."

And a confident one, too.

"If you can go six innings, two runs, with nothing, obviously I deserve to be here," Montgomery said.

No one seems to disagree.

"We think he has a lot of poise for a young pitcher," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "I thought he did today. You look at the first three innings, he really didn't have his curveball. He really didn't throw a good changeup until the fourth inning. But I thought he did a really good job of minimizing damage."

Girardi added, "You want him to keep taking steps forward, and I think he took another one today."
    http://m.yankees.mlb.com/news/articl...picId=27118390

Damb. Wonder what the question was that lead to that.

NYYF Legend

http://m.yankees.mlb.com/news/articl...picId=27118390

Damb. Wonder what the question was that lead to that.
    Probably "You didn't strike out 10 batters and lost your first game. Is everything ok? How do you feel? Has anybody told you to pack your bags?"

He battled today. And while I give Nova some credit, The offense let him down.

I don't know that I'd just look at 6IP of 2-run ball and say it was his best start of the year - (I think that was last Monday night which the 3-run HR distorted) but you have to be encouraged by the way he battled through. He did not have his best stuff and was far from economical but minimized a lot of potentially big innings and showed the ability to adapt his approach accordingly.

The curveball was very impressive Sunday. When he was commanding it well, he could throw a tight get-me-over to get ahead or bury it in the dirt for swinging strikes. The at bat against Freese was stood out.

Thread Information