+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

2017 Austin Romine Thread

OPS Watch (4/10): .361 OPS

NYYF Legend

Re: 2017 Austin Romine Thread

I'm willing to let him catch once a week when Pineda pitches for now.

Any more than that is just not smart.
    There's a fat old lady outside the saloon, laying out the credit cards she plays Fortune.
    The deck is uneven right from the start, and all of their hands are playing apart

terrible.

So gritty, tho.

I'll bump this and give a hats off to Romine thus far, though it would be nice to see Higgy two days in a row.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    OPS Watch (4/10): .361 OPS
    4/23 - 840, but in fairness that is only 840 points ahead of Higgy
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Nice story on Romine in the Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/23/s...in-romine.html

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    4/23 - 840, but in fairness that is only 840 points ahead of Higgy
    Just wait.
    Calmer than you are

Last night there was an interview on the FAN with a baseball analyst/reporter who talked about Romine's work with pitchers and calling games. He gave Romine a lot of credit for Severino's success in his last couple of starts as well as for Montgomery's and Pineda's success.

If that's true, it presents an interesting situation for the Yankees. Sanchez has a big arm and a big bat. Is that more valuable than a catcher who can bring out the best in a pitcher like Severino? Does Romine become Severino's personal catcher and do those days become Sanchez's days off? It will be interesting to see what the Yankees' take on this is and how they handle it. Whatever they do, Romine seems to have established his value to the team in the past month.

uh no.

i thought you were gonna talk about higgy, but sanchez? you are outta your mind if you want to sit sanchez for romine.

whatever romine knows about game calling for those specific pitchers can be discussed with sanchez. it's not like sanchez is bad at game calling either.

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    uh no.

i thought you were gonna talk about higgy, but sanchez? you are outta your mind if you want to sit sanchez for romine.

whatever romine knows about game calling for those specific pitchers can be discussed with sanchez. it's not like sanchez is bad at game calling either.
    I don't think you're suggesting that Sanchez catch every game. So why not sit him or DH him when Severino is pitching if that's? Romine has the 2nd highest CERA in the AL right now. He's doing something.

I also think we're going to find that Sanchez isn't the hitter we saw last Aug/Sep. he was the first to say that he never had a streak like that in his life.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    I don't think you're suggesting that Sanchez catch every game. So why not sit him or DH him when Severino is pitching if that's? Romine has the 2nd highest CERA in the AL right now. He's doing something.

I also think we're going to find that Sanchez isn't the hitter we saw last Aug/Sep. he was the first to say that he never had a streak like that in his life.
    Holy super dumb stat Batman!
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Just wait.
    Neither Romine nor Higgy is the future. I'm just glad one of them has been productive while Sanchez has been out.

I have no illusions about Romine keeping this lofty OPS on a long term basis.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post

Only someone who had never seen baseball before would think that was a sustainable pace for an entire career. So, I think we can all agree with you on that.

NYYF Legend

Can we give Higgy some ABs now?
    Calmer than you are

Yeah, sub-.600 OPS over his last 25 ABs or so...coming back to earth

Make the Yankees great again!!

surprisingly offense has not been an issue so far this season, it would be insane to sit Romine when by all accounts he is doing an excellent job with the pitchers and is helping the team win games.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    surprisingly offense has not been an issue so far this season, it would be insane to sit Romine when by all accounts he is doing an excellent job with the pitchers and is helping the team win games.
    Insanity would be believing he's the reason for that.

PS: We scored 3 runs tonight, and almost lost the game in the 9th due to that fact.
    Calmer than you are

Insanity would be believing he's the reason for that.

PS: We scored 3 runs tonight, and almost lost the game in the 9th due to that fact.

As another poster stated yesterday anyone that has watched the game for more than five minute knows the offensive numbers put up by Romine, Castro, Headly, and Torreyes were not sustainable. The Yankees were able to overcome the loss of arguably their two best everyday players due in large part to the efforts of those players. There is no need to sit in front of a computer crunching numbers to arrive at those conclusions, again its evident to anyone that has been watching the game for more than five minutes. The notion that Girardi or any other manager would sit Romine during this hot streak in favor a career minor league catcher that has no experience working with most of the rotation is just silly. If it was towards the end of the season and the Yankees were out of the race I would be in favor of giving "Higgy" more of a shot, but at the present time the priority is to win games and Romine gives the Yankees the best chance to achieve that (at least until Sanchez returns). Quite frankly I dont think this is even debatable and 30 out of 30 managers would do exactly what Girardi is doing.

NYYF HOF

He'll be getting regular ABs in Scranton a couple of weeks from now when Sanchez returns.

Since you're not the Yankee GM, my guess is Romine will be the BUC in 2017 and Higashioka's role is to provide insurance in case of injury. I'm rooting for both of them to play their roles well.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

As another poster stated yesterday anyone that has watched the game for more than five minute knows the offensive numbers put up by Romine, Castro, Headly, and Torreyes were not sustainable. The Yankees were able to overcome the loss of arguably their two best everyday players due in large part to the efforts of those players. There is no need to sit in front of a computer crunching numbers to arrive at those conclusions, again its evident to anyone that has been watching the game for more than five minutes. The notion that Girardi or any other manager would sit Romine during this hot streak in favor a career minor league catcher that has no experience working with most of the rotation is just silly. If it was towards the end of the season and the Yankees were out of the race I would be in favor of giving "Higgy" more of a shot, but at the present time the priority is to win games and Romine gives the Yankees the best chance to achieve that (at least until Sanchez returns). Quite frankly I dont think this is even debatable and 30 out of 30 managers would do exactly what Girardi is doing.
    It's VERY debatable. You aren't making much sense Art. You made this same bad argument when Romine was going through his hot streak (ie 30 out of 30 managers wouldn't sit the hot hand). Many of you argued this point. I then attempted to explain to a lot of you his previous 30 PAs have absolutely no bearing on his subsequent 30 PAs. Now over the past 6 games (23 PAs) he's had a .263 OBP/.488 OPS.

It's time to mix it up, and give someone with actual upside an opportunity. Not to mention, further exposing Romine will only reduce his trade value.
    Calmer than you are

It's VERY debatable. You aren't making much sense Art. You made this same bad argument when Romine was going through his hot streak (ie 30 out of 30 managers wouldn't sit the hot hand). Many of you argued this point. I then attempted to explain to a lot of you his previous 30 PAs have absolutely no bearing on his subsequent 30 PAs. Now over the past 6 games (23 PAs) he's had a .263 OBP/.488 OPS.

It's time to mix it up, and give someone with actual upside an opportunity. Not to mention, further exposing Romine will only reduce his trade value.
    Completely disagree. As far as his trade value the other 29 GMs know who he is at this stage in his career, a competent backup catcher nothing more or less. And regardless of his offensive numbers the last six games by all accounts he is doing an outstanding job working with the rotation which has exceeded everyone's expectation. Why would anyone want to mess with that? In addition to the pitchers, both Girardi and Pena have raved about the job he's doing.

i've said in game threads that romine is hitting the ball softish but they are finding holes. it's not some sort of actual improvement in ability, or even a change of approach.

only thing is a rather moderate increase in patience, but too small sample and it's not enough to lift him out of the suck territory by itself.

NYYF Legend

Completely disagree. As far as his trade value the other 29 GMs know who he is at this stage in his career, a competent backup catcher nothing more or less. And regardless of his offensive numbers the last six games by all accounts he is doing an outstanding job working with the rotation which has exceeded everyone's expectation. Why would anyone want to mess with that? In addition to the pitchers, both Girardi and Pena have raved about the job he's doing.
    That's always what players and coaches do. Always. Did you also read how Austin Romine worked really hard in the offseason and showed up to camp in the best shape of his career? Higgy has been the better defensive catcher over their careers. 'Dem the facts.

You said it yourself, Romine is 'a competent backup catcher nothing more or less.' It's time to give someone who has a chance to be something more than that a chance.
    Calmer than you are

That's always what players and coaches do. Always. Did you also read how Austin Romine worked really hard in the offseason and showed up to camp in the best shape of his career? Higgy has been the better defensive catcher over their careers. 'Dem the facts.
    The results back-up the statements. Romine has been an offensive contributor and the pitchers have exceeded expectation throwing to him.

Those ARE the facts.

Thread Information