+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 314 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Re: 2017 Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Eaton is done for the year with a torn ACL. Ellsbury is off to a hot start. The stars might be aligning.
    I saw something the other day that the Nats were kicking the tires with the Royals for a Kelvin Herrera deal. I wonder now that Eaton is out if they would be interested in expanding it to include Lorenzo Cain?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Ok let's have some fun. Let's assume a couple of things: 1) Tanaka, Yarvish & Otani all have gentlemen's agreements to sign with the Yanks after the season. What would you give up for Darvish, assuming the Rangers insisted on at least 2 of: Sanchez, Judge or Torres? If you're not going to give up 2 out of these 3, what kind of package would you offer that the Rangers might be interested in?

Here's my package: Clint Frazier, Justin Sheffield, Dustin Fowler, Jorge Mateo, & Chance Adams.

I wouldn't give that package for Darvish. Especially since he is going to be a free agent after this season. That is an overpay. Basically you are undoing everything they did last year.

If you are going to give a package like that, it has to be someone who is cost controlled for many years.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I'm totally against any deal that trades the future for this year. If any of the team's top prospects are traded they better bring back somebody who can definitely contribute at a high level for at least the next 5 years, or basically anyone under age 30. The team has finally shed itself of old and slow and I'd rather they keep the best of the youngest circulating into the majors every year they can. Adding Harper or Machado in a couple of years will put the offense into super high gear but that only sacrifices a draft pick.
    I wouldn't be disinclined to deal Betances if teams came knocking with solid offers.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    I wouldn't give that package for Darvish. Especially since he is going to be a free agent after this season. That is an overpay. Basically you are undoing everything they did last year.

If you are going to give a package like that, it has to be someone who is cost controlled for many years.
    Drastic overpay. Also with the compensation now so little I don't think the price will be it once was as holding on to a player to get a sandwich pick is no longer an option.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I wouldn't be disinclined to deal Betances if teams came knocking with solid offers.
    Why Dellin? He's solid as a set-up man and has pretty consistent stats. At 29 he's probably at his peak but maybe he declines fast the next few years. In any event the entire team will be at its peak in a few years and they'll need a quality set up guy. Not so sure how easy it'll be to get one.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

I wouldn't give that package for Darvish. Especially since he is going to be a free agent after this season. That is an overpay. Basically you are undoing everything they did last year. If you are going to give a package like that, it has to be someone who is cost controlled for many years.
    Perhaps you didn't catch what I said, so I'll highlight it:

Let's pretend Tanaka, Yarvish & Otani all have gentlemen's agreements to sign with the Yanks after the season.

In other words, we'll have these 3 signed for at least 5yrs beginning in 2018. Tanaka & Otani are agreeing to sign as a result of Yarvish's acquisition. I know it's not very realistic, but remember - this is just for fun. Who would you give up for Yarvish that the Rangers might be interested in?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Perhaps you didn't catch what I said, so I'll highlight it:

Let's pretend Tanaka, Yarvish & Otani all have gentlemen's agreements to sign with the Yanks after the season.

In other words, we'll have these 3 signed for at least 5yrs beginning in 2018. Remember, this is just for discussion. Who would you give up for Yarvish that the Rangers might be interested in?

The only guy I want on that list is Otani. Darvish will want big money and if Tanaka opts out he will too.

You do not give up a package like that if the player coming back is not cost controlled and not signed for a bunch of years. Look at what the Tigers got for Price when they traded him to the Blue Jays. It was a much smaller package and Price was much more dominant at that time.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Eaton is done for the year with a torn ACL. Ellsbury is off to a hot start. The stars might be aligning.
    Maybe Williams for a project arm or INT cash. Clear a spot on the 40 man and have plenty of back up in reserve.

These 2 words should never be used together
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place with you

sbj proposals are pretty mole

Cashman blew it in the offseason by not trading Gardner. He was quoted that other teams would take all of his salary for basically nothing in return. Now Gardner has been playing bad so the Yankees would have to kick in money and still get nothing in return.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

The only guy I want on that list is Otani. Darvish will want big money and if Tanaka opts out he will too.

You do not give up a package like that if the player coming back is not cost controlled and not signed for a bunch of years. Look at what the Tigers got for Price when they traded him to the Blue Jays. It was a much smaller package and Price was much more dominant at that time.
    I suppose I was looking at it from the point of view that we'd have 3 potential aces (2 younger than 30) at the top of the rotation for the next 5 years. To me, that's worth a package of highly regarded prospects. I'd rather pay $25M+ per year for Tanaka & Yarvish with the hopes that Judge, Torres, Sanchez & others will eliminate the need to spend big money on Harper or Machado. In other words, I'd rather spend big on pitching, because we may already have a premier offense going forward.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    sbj proposals are pretty mole

I don't understand what you mean by "mole"?

Ok let's have some fun. Let's assume a couple of things: 1) Tanaka, Yarvish & Otani all have gentlemen's agreements to sign with the Yanks after the season. What would you give up for Darvish, assuming the Rangers insisted on at least 2 of: Sanchez, Judge or Torres? If you're not going to give up 2 out of these 3, what kind of package would you offer that the Rangers might be interested in?

Here's my package: Clint Frazier, Justin Sheffield, Dustin Fowler, Jorge Mateo, & Chance Adams.
    To be honest, I would certainly make that trade but I doubt that Texas would. What are they getting in that trade that we would actually use at the ML level, assuming the trifecta signs with NY?

The starters moving forward and say 3 years out would be Tanaka, Darvish, Otani, Severino, Monty, Kap, Pineda(?), Green, Cessa, Abreu, Acevedo, etc, etc.

OF would be Judge, Rutherford, Harper(?), Hicks, Ellsbury, etc, etc

IF would be Bird, Castro, Didi, Torres, Machado(?), Andujar, Wade, etc, etc

If I had to bet on prospects possibly busting, Frazier and Mateo would be on the list, so I think this would be a case of cleaning house of minor league "potential". Please do not misunderstand. I would love to keep EVERYONE, but they all can't play. A big three of Tanaka, Darvish and Otani? OMG?.. I think it would be worth the plunge.

I suppose I was looking at it from the point of view that we'd have 3 potential aces (2 younger than 30) at the top of the rotation for the next 5 years. To me, that's worth a package of highly regarded prospects. I'd rather pay $25M+ per year for Tanaka & Yarvish with the hopes that Judge, Torres, Sanchez & others will eliminate the need to spend big money on Harper or Machado. In other words, I'd rather spend big on pitching, because we may already have a premier offense going forward.

Darvish will be 31 in August and Tanaka elbow has issues.

I would rather spend the money on Harper and Machado because they will be both 26 when they hit free agency and they are one of the top 5 players in the majors.

In my opinion, Harper and Machado are better bets to live up to whatever contract they get compared to Darvish and Tanaka.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    To be honest, I would certainly make that trade but I doubt that Texas would. What are they getting in that trade that we would actually use at the ML level, assuming the trifecta signs with NY?

The starters moving forward and say 3 years out would be Tanaka, Darvish, Otani, Severino, Monty, Kap, Pineda(?), Green, Cessa, Abreu, Acevedo, etc, etc.

OF would be Judge, Rutherford, Harper(?), Hicks, Ellsbury, etc, etc

IF would be Bird, Castro, Didi, Torres, Machado(?), Andujar, Wade, etc, etc

If I had to bet on prospects possibly busting, Frazier and Mateo would be on the list, so I think this would be a case of cleaning house of minor league "potential". Please do not misunderstand. I would love to keep EVERYONE, but they all can't play. A big three of Tanaka, Darvish and Otani? OMG?.. I think it would be worth the plunge.

That is a terrible trade especially when you can sign Darvish in the offseason if you want him so badly. Darvish will be 31 this offseason and lets say you sign him to a 5 year contract.

You will get him for years 32, 33, 34, 35, 36. Do you really want to pay him big money for his decline years when you didn't benefit from him from his peak years?
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    Maybe Williams for a project arm or INT cash. Clear a spot on the 40 man and have plenty of back up in reserve.
    The Nationals already have their version of Mason Williams in Michael Taylor.

That is a terrible trade especially when you can sign Darvish in the offseason if you want him so badly. Darvish will be 31 this offseason and lets say you sign him to a 5 year contract.

You will get him for years 32, 33, 34, 35, 36. Do you really want to pay him big money for his decline years when you didn't benefit from him from his peak years?
    Makes sense although with the trade you have Darvish for the remainder of THIS season. If the Yanks are out of it at the trading deadline, I agree with you. If they are serious contenders at that point, I think you at least have to think about it. Also depends on how well Darvish is performing, of course.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BomberBrian View Post
    This i would like.

This i would like.

The problem with Cole is Boras will make you pay him like he is Kershaw when he isn't.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    Makes sense although with the trade you have Darvish for the remainder of THIS season. If the Yanks are out of it at the trading deadline, I agree with you. If they are serious contenders at that point, I think you at least have to think about it. Also depends on how well Darvish is performing, of course.

My original thought assumed the Yanks would only do this in order to win this year and ensure a solid rotation for the immediate future. Of course it would be nice if Yarvish was a year or two younger, but in order to keep Tanaka and obtain Otani, I'd be willing to take on Yarvish's age knowing he'll be on the decline in a couple of years. Remember, Otani is pretty young, and there would still be plenty of talent on the way up. (Severino, Montgomery, Clarkin,Tate, Abreu, Acevedo, German, Kaprelian, etc)

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Not as long as the team is playing well and in the hunt. If that's the case, they're not dealing anyone who plays a key role.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

Cashman blew it in the offseason by not trading Gardner. He was quoted that other teams would take all of his salary for basically nothing in return. Now Gardner has been playing bad so the Yankees would have to kick in money and still get nothing in return.
    The Yankees would have no problem finding a taker who is willing to pay all the money. His contract is very team friendly. The question is why should the Yankees trade him now. It's not like some promising prospects are ready to take over his job.

NYYF Legend

The Nationals already have their version of Mason Williams in Michael Taylor.
    Taylor is a Milb SO machine. While both are above Avg OF's, Mason is much better in CF. Taylor has the edge on him for the corners, but they are looking for an Eaton replacement.

Taylor is a Milb SO machine. While both are above Avg OF's, Mason is much better in CF. Taylor has the edge on him for the corners, but they are looking for an Eaton replacement.

Neither of them are good.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Thread Information