+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Re: 2017 Pineda Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DaBliz View Post
    They just want to sell regardless of our record in July, figuring that the team will be better off long-term if we sacrifice this season. It also allows them to complain in almost any scenario, because they know damn well that the team isn't going to sell if we're in a wildcard spot come the deadline. If the Yanks take a turn for the worst, then they'll be able to complain about any player we end up keeping. It's like a Catch-21 for pessimists.
    Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    Speak for yourself, I think by now I'm one of the more optimistic posters around here. but when it comes to pineda, I don't want him long term so if he's lights out at the ASB and we're not buyers, then I want him dealt so we can continue to build big time talent and have the ability to either trade those pieces for pitching etc when the time comes.
    If they aren't winning the division, or insanely close, I'd sell. But the Yankees won't.

If they get a good offer for Pineda and/or any offer for Ellsbury, I'd sell very quickly.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Ah, Catch-21, Heller's less successful prequel work.
    Heller was a catcher before he was a pitcher!

Pineda was #1 last season. Hate this guy so much.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/why-w...ommand-metric/
    Calmer than you are

they don't have the proper model of variance
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

How'd he look today? Couldn't catch the game

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay1123 View Post
    How'd he look today? Couldn't catch the game
    Great stuff but got victimized by pitch count. O's couldn't square up a lot of pitches but did manage to foul balls off that kept adding to Pineda's PC. Looked good though.

Pineda is #1 pitcher in baseball at getting batters to swing at pitches outside the zone.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ers=0&sort=4,d
    Calmer than you are

NYYF HOF

He got his second career hit, and his first hit was on June 23, 2011. Excluding any additional at-bats he could have today, he's 2-for-11 batting in his career. He had the first hit by a Yankees pitcher since Branden Pinder on August 30, 2015; the first hit by a Yankees starting pitcher since Chase Whitley on May 15, 2014; the first hit by a Yankees pitcher against an NL Central team since Mike Mussina against Milwaukee on July 10, 2008; and the first hit by a Yankees pitcher against the Cubs since David Wells on June 6, 2003. Pineda and Wells are the only Yankees pitchers with regular season hits against the Cubs. No Yankee has had a season with at least 30 starts and at least 1 hit since Sabathia in 2010, including a hit on May 23, 2010. The Yankees are 21-13 (.618) in games where one of their pitchers got a hit. That excludes the Yankees 0-3 record when a position player pitched and got a hit.

NYYF HOF

He became the fourth Yankee pitcher to have a hit and a sacrifice hit (aka sacrifice bunt) in an interleague game. The previous three Yankees were Clippard on May 20, 2007; Mussina on June 18, 2002; and Irabu on June 10, 1998.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    He became the fourth Yankee pitcher to have a hit and a sacrifice hit (aka sacrifice bunt) in an interleague game. The previous three Yankees were Clippard on May 20, 2007; Mussina on June 18, 2002; and Irabu on June 10, 1998.

How many Yankee Pitchers have a sacrifice bunt in an interleague game?
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

NYYF Legend

Pineda deserved a better fate today though it would be nice if he could lower his HR allowed. For all the talk about how hard , due to the wind blowing in, it would be to hit it out in RF, of course Pineda was done in by 2 bombs exactly there.

NYYF Legend

Pitched a good game. Keep it up big guy.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

WHIP now 0.98. Lots of season left.

For now, have we won the Pineda/Montero trade? Where is Montero? Last I heard he signed with the O's but don't see him in the minors anywhere.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post

For now, have we won the Pineda/Montero trade? Where is Montero? Last I heard he signed with the O's but don't see him in the minors anywhere.
    It's a win now, and has been for a while. How many games has Montero played at the ML level? Less than 50? Pineda has shown flashes of dominance, but also a lot of mediocrity. But he has at least pitched innings since 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post

He is assigned to the O's AAA affiliate in Norfolk, but started the season in the DL and has yet to play any games this year.

NYYF HOF

I think most teams would value Pineda as a #3 or #4 starter. How much does a 28 yr old #3 or 4 starter get these days, and what kind of results are expected? 175 IP? ERA under 4? 20 quality starts?

As uncertain as the Yankee rotation is for 2018, I think the Yanks should consider offering him 5yrs/$50M right now and take the pressure of Big Mike. I have a feeling he'd (at the very least) consider it.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I think most teams would value Pineda as a #3 or #4 starter. How much does a 28 yr old #3 or 4 starter get these days, and what kind of results are expected? 175 IP? ERA under 4? 20 quality starts?

As uncertain as the Yankee rotation is for 2018, I think the Yanks should consider offering him 5yrs/$50M right now and take the pressure of Big Mike. I have a feeling he'd (at the very least) consider it.
    Despite how well he's pitched over the last month, Pineda has been the very definition of streaky, inconsistent, and unreliable. I doubt that most teams would value him as a mid rotation starter. A number might be willing to give him a shot, but I wouldn't expect them to commit big dollars to him until they've had more to go on.
    Last edited by Bill Marsh; 05-06-17 at 10:00 PM.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Despite how well he's pitched over the last month, Pineda has been the very definition of streaky, inconsistent, and unreliable. I doubt that mo teams would value him as a mid rotation starter. A number might be willing to give him a shot, but I wouldn't expect them to commit big dollars to him until they've had more to go on.
    I agree 100% with your assessment of Big Mike - I've gone on record as saying the Yanks should just let him walk after this season. But a couple of things:

*This guy isn't the sharpest tool in the shed - perhaps he's a late-bloomer and really is just starting to figure it out?

*As potent as most teams' offense are in the AL, maybe expectations for a mid-rotation starter have lowered?

*I'm really freaking out about the lack of a solid plan for the 2018 rotation, and I'm pretty dead set against offering CC any kind of contract.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Despite how well he's pitched over the last month, Pineda has been the very definition of streaky, inconsistent, and unreliable. I doubt that most teams would value him as a mid rotation starter. A number might be willing to give him a shot, but I wouldn't expect them to commit big dollars to him until they've had more to go on.
    Actually I think the opposite. His stuff is gold to lots of pitching coaches and teams would think that they're able to fix his consistency. He would also be darling to front office people who love sabermetrics.

Teams would overpay his stuff and K/BB.

He crapped the bed tonight, but in all fairness it's nice to be able to view is as a blip rather than the norm. Let's hope that's all this really is.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Released Outright

I expect a very good performance from Michael tonite vs Boston

NYYF Legend

Pineda's change is just dirty right now.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Dianebot

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    He crapped the bed tonight, but in all fairness it's nice to be able to view is as a blip rather than the norm. Let's hope that's all this really is.
    Nice response from Pinetar.

Might be the year that King Peripheral actually translates into the top of rotation starter he could be.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Dianebot
    Well I was right about him wasn't I? He's tonite's Team Hero and I predicted this perfomance. I'm a good Luck Charm.

Thread Information