+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: 2017 Pineda Thread

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I read somewhere that he threw 11 changeups yesterday.
    BrooksBaseball had 11 as well. I think he might have even thrown a few more that registered as sliders. And, more than the number thrown, it was the situation and when he was using the change in the course of an at bat, that impressed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    If he's pitching toward those numbers it is unlikely the Yanks would be in sell mode.
    I could envision a scenario where he's lights out but the team isn't in the heat of things in July.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I could envision a scenario where he's lights out but the team isn't in the heat of things in July.
    I think it is an unlikely scenario but sure it could happen. If that is the case sure dealing him might be a reality.

I honestly think the most likely scenario is he continues to be maddeningly inconsistent. But as a Yankee fan I'm hoping something has "clicked" with him and we see more outings like yesterday.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    That would be so par for the course with him too. But I will say this, that was a very impressive game that Pineda pitched yesterday and I was refreshing seeing him not cave, when TB got their first hit and then first run an inning later.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

I think it is an unlikely scenario but sure it could happen. If that is the case sure dealing him might be a reality.

I honestly think the most likely scenario is he continues to be maddeningly inconsistent. But as a Yankee fan I'm hoping something has "clicked" with him and we see more outings like yesterday.
    He'll continue to be inconsistent until he's traded or signed elsewhere. Then he'll be a top 25 pitcher.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Would a good comp be Nova's turn around with the Pirates? I think it is, and the market was not as strong for him as some thought it might be. With that said, if he goes 200IP with a 3.5ish era, I could see him getting 4/5 yrs at $15m per.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Pineda is just setting us up for the kill. Once men get on base, he will self-destruct. That is the pattern.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Legend

He let up the traditional 2-out rally earlier this game, but through the 4th he is sitting 96-97 with the fastball (to my eye watching the ESPN readings, at least).
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    He let up the traditional 2-out rally earlier this game, but through the 4th he is sitting 96-97 with the fastball (to my eye watching the ESPN readings, at least).
    FWIW, Gameday has had him 94-96 all game and *hit 97 once in the 4th.

NYYF Legend

That makes more sense. Still excitingly high, but not in that incredulous/nervous area.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Extension for 7 yrs now.
    Calmer than you are

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    That makes more sense. Still excitingly high, but not in that incredulous/nervous area.
    No doubt. I still find it fascinating that pre-shoulder injury his FB was a 4-seamer with sink in on RHH's but after the shoulder injury his FB now naturally cuts (opposite direction). He's nearly back to where his velo was that fantastic rookie season, which is something I was skeptical would ever happen.

Just keep going to the changeup Mike. Look at some of the nasty changeups he threw a couple years ago: http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/7395516...das-strikeouts
    Last edited by Melancynic; 04-16-17 at 10:37 PM.

statcast velocity is about 1mph higher than what fangraphs used before.
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

NYYF Legend

Two very good starts in a row by Pineda. If he keeps this up, people are going to start to thinking that he may have turned a corner on the road to becoming a reliable, competent starting ML pitcher.

I'm not gonna get excited with this dude, but the fact that he didn't turn into mush without having a slider early on was pretty encouraging. That changeup carried him through the early innings.

NYYF Legend

while we'd all love more separation on the change up fastball, the movement on some of those change ups were sick. With that said, I want him to pitch amazingly well so we can trade him for a king's ransom at the deadline. I don't want him long term, he's broken my heart too many times.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    while we'd all love more separation on the change up fastball, the movement on some of those change ups were sick. With that said, I want him to pitch amazingly well so we can trade him for a king's ransom at the deadline. I don't want him long term, he's broken my heart too many times.
    So are you rooting for Tanaka, CC, Severino and Jordan to suck or for the offense to fall on its face?

The reason I ask is because if Pineda is pitching well enough to bring a kings ransom a lot of other Yankees will need to stink for the FO to be in sell mode.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

So are you rooting for Tanaka, CC, Severino and Jordan to suck or for the offense to fall on its face?

The reason I ask is because if Pineda is pitching well enough to bring a kings ransom a lot of other Yankees will need to stink for the FO to be in sell mode.
    I'm not saying that, it all depends on where we are at the deadline. I should amend my statement to say this: if we're out of contention, I sell and I start with big Mike.

NYYF Legend

I'm not picking on you. It just seems a common theme in both the Pineda and Tanaka thread that a lot of posters seem to want these 2 in particular to do well enough to bring back a lot in trade but seem to want the team to do poor enough to be in sell mode.

It's a concept I'm having trouble wrapping my head around.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

I'm not picking on you. It just seems a common theme in both the Pineda and Tanaka thread that a lot of posters seem to want these 2 in particular to do well enough to bring back a lot in trade but seem to want the team to do poor enough to be in sell mode.

i think it's fair, i'm a bit conflicted but I don't see this team as being a WS contending team, best case I think we're a fringe playoff team. Long term I don't want Pineda on the Yankees, I believe he's a headcase and I worry that one incredible year will cost us 100M and see him revert back.

NYYF MVP

They just want to sell regardless of our record in July, figuring that the team will be better off long-term if we sacrifice this season. It also allows them to complain in almost any scenario, because they know damn well that the team isn't going to sell if we're in a wildcard spot come the deadline. If the Yanks take a turn for the worst, then they'll be able to complain about any player we end up keeping. It's like a Catch-21 for pessimists.

Ah, Catch-21, Heller's less successful prequel work.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Ah, Catch-21, Heller's less successful prequel work.
    Yeah, I meant for it to be the opposite of a Catch-22 lol

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DaBliz View Post
    They just want to sell regardless of our record in July, figuring that the team will be better off long-term if we sacrifice this season. It also allows them to complain in almost any scenario, because they know damn well that the team isn't going to sell if we're in a wildcard spot come the deadline. If the Yanks take a turn for the worst, then they'll be able to complain about any player we end up keeping. It's like a Catch-21 for pessimists.
    Speak for yourself, I think by now I'm one of the more optimistic posters around here. but when it comes to pineda, I don't want him long term so if he's lights out at the ASB and we're not buyers, then I want him dealt so we can continue to build big time talent and have the ability to either trade those pieces for pitching etc when the time comes.

Who are "they" and also "Catch-21"

Thread Information