Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

2017 Starlin Castro Performace Thread

Batting .750 and no thread yet?!?!?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Suspended

Re: 2017 Starlin Castro Performace Thread

Ideally he kills it the first month or two, you get a team dumb enough to bite, and can call up Gleyber to replace.

NYYF Legend

Just keep throwing him breaking balls outside, and we'll see this thread bumped to the top everyday
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Just keep throwing him breaking balls outside, and we'll see this thread bumped to the top everyday
    I don't understand why every pitch thrown to him isn't a breaking ball outside.

It would be like not employing a shift against our old pal Mark Teix.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I don't understand why every pitch thrown to him isn't a breaking ball outside.

Agree. Any Pitcher who throws him a fastball should be fined immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Ideally he kills it the first month or two, you get a team dumb enough to bite, and can call up Gleyber to replace.
    Given his history, this scenario is possible. It would have to be by mid May, though.

In unrelated news, Stephen Effing Drew is the opening day 3B for the Washington Nationals.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Given his history, this scenario is possible. It would have to be by mid May, though.

In unrelated news, Stephen Effing Drew is the opening day 3B for the Washington Nationals.
    And promptly grounded into a DP to kill a rally.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

Doesn't he even rate an "n" in his performance thread?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Doesn't he even rate an "n" in his performance thread?
    No. His at bats are like a blast of mace to the face.

castro in 1 chart.

if the raised zone is true, he stands to benefit quite a bit if he could lay off of those low pitches.

which is not possible i know

NYYF Legend

He's looking good in the early going.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Paging Mr Pickle.

Suspended

I bet the 2016 Starlin Castro thread looks similar at this time last year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I bet the 2016 Starlin Castro thread looks similar at this time last year.
    I was just going to say. He had a terrific first two weeks of last season also.

he can hit mid high fastballs pretty hard

He's still impossible to watch.

For Castro/Romine:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/201.........ty-o.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    He's still impossible to watch.

For Castro/Romine:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/201.........ty-o.gif
    We can only hope that Castro becomes the next Tony Fernandez.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

I like the guy. I think he & Didi kind of make up for the average run production coming from 3B. Nothing against Headley, but normally the numbers coming from the hot corner are a bit stronger. Plus I think he & Gregorius make good Karate partners. :-)

It'd be great if Castro could adjust to the down-and-away breaking ball. Earlier pitch recognition, better discipline in the strike zone, hitting it to RF - what a difference it would make! Isn't this what batting coaches are supposed to be working on with non-superstars?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I like the guy. I think he & Didi kind of make up for the average run production coming from 3B. Nothing against Headley, but normally the numbers coming from the hot corner are a bit stronger. Plus I think he & Gregorius make good Karate partners. :-)

It'd be great if Castro could adjust to the down-and-away breaking ball. Earlier pitch recognition, better discipline in the strike zone, hitting it to RF - what a difference it would make! Isn't this what batting coaches are supposed to be working on with non-superstars?
    I think you can discuss pitch selection with players, but recognition skills seem to be a gift for some and impossible for others.
    Let the kids play.

Make the Yankees great again!!

I think most posters here see Castro for what he is, not the long term solution at second but an improvement over what they were running out there post Cano.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I think most posters here see Castro for what he is, not the long term solution at second but an improvement over what they were running out there post Cano.
    Exactly. I see Castro as nothing more than a placeholder until Torres is ready - hence my previous comment about him being the next Tony Fernandez.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Addicted Member

I completely agree. Remember Soriano's problems with the down-and-away breaking ball in the dirt? He really never did adjust to that pitch but he was a pretty awesome player. Not HOF but beyond serviceable. Castro is in that same mold and I believe he will be our 2nd baseman for many years.
    As far as the talk about Torres grooming to replace him, I don't think so. He will be our future shortstop or 3rd baseman and a very, very good one.

You apparently haven't been informed by the Board police that players don't develop beyond what they've accomplished by age 25-26 when their careers have maxed out. In fact the working theory seems to be that they regress.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    You apparently haven't been informed by the Board police that players don't develop beyond what they've accomplished by age 25-26 when their careers have maxed out. In fact the working theory seems to be that they regress.
    I think it's more accurate to say that people around here act like "players don't develop once they've been in the majors for a couple seasons". Some people wanted Severino relegated to the bullpen so that older prospects could get starts lol.

it's still weird we got him last year for pretty much nothing. Adam Warren (who's back) and Brendan Ryan. That still amazes me.

Thread Information