+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Re: 2017 Starlin Castro Performace Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nyy42 View Post
    it's still weird we got him last year for pretty much nothing. Adam Warren (who's back) and Brendan Ryan. That still amazes me.
    I'm guessing it was a salary dump. Theo immediately DFA Ryan and later cut Warren.

I think at the time Castro was available to just about anyone for a bag of balls. Theo probably wanted to free up some money to sign Zovrist, IIRC.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

lol the pro-castro faction is so quick to gloat because of a few games.

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    I'm guessing it was a salary dump. Theo immediately DFA Ryan and later cut Warren.

I think at the time Castro was available to just about anyone for a bag of balls. Theo probably wanted to free up some money to sign Zovrist, IIRC.
    It was definitely a salary dump; the savings (dollars and roster spot) produced Zobrist.

Also, he didn't cut Warren; he flipped him back to the Yankees in the Chapman deal.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    lol the pro-castro faction is so quick to gloat because of a few games.
    I'm not pro-Castro but I am pro Yankees so I hope he continues to do well.

I started this thread as kind of a joke because I know how much CP would like to be rid of him.

But so far other then an oLay ball hear and there and chancing a few sliders in the dirt there hasn't been much to complain about with Starlin so far
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Castro has been great this year and in case no one has noticed (hint, hint), he is doing an excellent job in the field thus far. He also seems to have a better awareness of those pitches down and away, swinging at less of them. I don't know what his K numbers are as compared to last year, but it appears to me that he is making better contact. Also impressed with his turn at second base. Seems much faster than what we have seen in the past. Good job so far.

looking at his discipline stuff, it's either him getting quite a bit better at hitting pitches in the zone, or just him getting a mix of easy pitches to hit.

i'm leaning towards 2

i'll say this though, castro has always hit bad pitches hard. so if he could gain just a little bit of discipline and recognition, he would reap greater gains from those improvements than your standard player, because he starts from such a low base that there is a lot of low hanging fruit improvements on that front.

there's about a 5% improvement in committing to pitches out of the zone, which is on the edge of being a legit thing. we'll see though

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I'm not pro-Castro but I am pro Yankees so I hope he continues to do well.
    This. In fact I'll go as far as saying that I am pro Castro because if he does well, it helps the Yankees. With that said, I'm not going to gloat or suggest that he has "turned the corner" based on a two week sample size. We've seen this type of hot streak before from him, only to be let down when he starts hopelessly flailing at every single slider he sees. If they traded him tomorrow I wouldn't shed a tear but I hope he continues to do well as long as he is a Yankee.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

But just imagine this is Castro hitting his prime? That, plus a rejuvenated Headley, would immediately put this team in playoff contention
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

looking at his discipline stuff, it's either him getting quite a bit better at hitting pitches in the zone, or just him getting a mix of easy pitches to hit.

i'm leaning towards 2
    agreed. as much as i want to believe he's become a different hitter, until this lasts beyond the a few months, i'm not convinced.

i'll say this though, castro has always hit bad pitches hard. so if he could gain just a little bit of discipline and recognition, he would reap greater gains from those improvements than your standard player, because he starts from such a low base that there is a lot of low hanging fruit improvements on that front.

there's about a 5% improvement in committing to pitches out of the zone, which is on the edge of being a legit thing. we'll see though
    very fair, good points.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

Interesting article on Castro. Apparently he sought advice from Manny Ramirez this offseason: http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...lin_castr.html

sounds like some obvious stuff his coaches would be saying. whatever gets through i guess.

but really, do you need someone else to tell you to not to swing at that slider in the dirt

NYYF Legend

He's playing well right now, but I am not buying in just yet. He still needs to learn how to draw a walk, because when his BABIP normalizes, his OBP will go down the tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    He's playing well right now, but I am not buying in just yet. He still needs to learn how to draw a walk, because when his BABIP normalizes, his OBP will go down the tubes.
    I totally agree with this...
    Generally, players normalize. They don't perform a certain way for years then just reverse those trends.
    Though on Wednesday, I was encouraged by the way he took a few of those "off the outside corner" pitches. When they happened, I said (aloud) "that's a good take".... After the homer I said (again, aloud) "He got a better pitch to hit because he took those two outside pitches"....

It makes a difference. Hopefully, he'll continue the trend. But I'm not holding my breath.
    "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.Hitman23

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    But just imagine this is Castro hitting his prime? That, plus a rejuvenated Headley, would immediately put this team in playoff contention
    And what if his career year combines his best average with his best HR total. You need your second basemen to hit 20 homers when your not sure what your power will be from 3rd base and left field. And who knows with first base with bird right now.
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place with you

Right. Not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but...

Through 4/30 in 2016, Castro pumped out a .305 / .345 / .488 triple slash and then proceeded to suck until August.

Hopefully his game has elevated, but I still see the same concerns with his approach that put me in a position where he'll have to prove it.

he's showing slightly improved plate discipline. im too lazy to post the thing but it's about 5-10% in terms of less mistakes made.

he's showing slightly improved plate discipline. im too lazy to post the thing but it's about 5-10% in terms of less mistakes made.
    I'm sure you can find sample sizes of 15 games last year where plate discipline looked favorable. I'd sure love to see this NOT be a sample size issue, but gonna need more evidence.

yea i agree. worth keeping an eye on tho

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post

Through 4/30 in 2016, Castro pumped out a .305 / .345 / .488 triple slash and then proceeded to suck until August.

Hopefully his game has elevated, but I still see the same concerns with his approach that put me in a position where he'll have to prove it.
    With his approach. You would actually think his strikeout rates would be higher. I still think it's not bad to have a guy with that approach in the lineup. Especially if he's hitting 300.
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place with you

NYYF Legend

Agreed. The article basically said he is making more contact on pitches inside the zone. His plate discipline really hasn't changed that much.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Agreed. The article basically said he is making more contact on pitches inside the zone. His plate discipline really hasn't changed that much.
    4 walks in 15 games vs 8ks. at that rate he would walk almost twice as much as last year. and strikeout less than 100 times. At that rate he would set a career high in walks

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post

Oh for sure he's teased in stretches and then bombed out. Same could happen this year no question.

But...

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    4 walks in 15 games vs 8ks. at that rate he would walk almost twice as much as last year. and strikeout less than 100 times. At that rate he would set a career high in walks
    ^it's these stats that give me some hope that it's fairly sustainable.

Then again it is less than one month so really until we get past SSS bias it's hard to say if he's "turned a corner" or just on a "temporary hot streak."
    Baseball is life;

i mean, he's seen a lot of bad pitching. that article didnt really address the fact that increased in-zone contact rate may be influenced by the mix of pitches he's seen so far. particularly on small sample size.

it is certainly possible and likely that some increased discipline gets him better pitches to hit, but the effect shouldn't be this large.

but even if castro has really corrected the thing where he swings at absolutely the worst of pitches to swing at, that is still a big improvement for him

NYYF Legend

Honestly if he can just match his 214 slash line over the course of the season I'll be happy. Anything better would be gravy.

Unfortunately of the last 4 full seasons 2014 looks like the outlier and not the norm. So yeah still has a lot of "show me over a full season" before I have full confidence in him. But so far so good.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Interesting article on Castro. Apparently he sought advice from Manny Ramirez this offseason: http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...lin_castr.html
    So his results are better but he's still chasing the same percentage of bad pitches he always does. I'm with the majority here...if he doesn't fix that he'll probably revert to his historical norm.
    Let the kids play.

Thread Information