+ Reply to Thread

2017 Brett Gardner Thread

Last year's decline will continue. Eat salary and trade him as he has value as a 4th OF for a contender. Play Austin and Hicks in LF and let Judge play everyday in RF.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Re: 2017 Brett Gardner Thread

Quote Originally Posted by poneil2321 View Post
    Last year's decline will continue. Eat salary and trade him as he has value as a 4th OF for a contender. Play Austin and Hicks in LF and let Judge play everyday in RF.
    with his D, he's still a major starter for a contender IMO.

and judge is the everyday RF.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Apparently the GMs of contending teams do not agree with your assessment of Gardner, given Cashman's inability to get value for him in a trade.

NYYF HOF

He became the first Yankee with at least 3 hits, at least 3 runs, and at least 2 stolen bases in a game since he did it on July 17, 2011. He became the fourth player since 1913 to have at least two of those games with Yankees. The first three were Knoblauch (twice), Henderson (three times), and Snuffy Stirnweiss (twice).

He has as many multi-stolen base games this year as last year.
    To read my comments about baseball, soccer, and other things, go to https://twitter.com/EvanJ3535 which I joined on June 21, 2016.

Brett is shutting me up. Nice last few games

He started last year with a good amount of stolen bases, but stopped running afterwards. He should aim for a minimum of 30 SBs with a goal of 40.

Who finally informed Brett he's supposed to steal bases, not hug them.

I hope he starts getting on first base more, so he can continue to have more attempts to steal second. I also hope that so he becomes more attractive to other teams. I still have not given up on the hope that he has some trade value and that the Yankees would not lose wins, even in this year, by trading him.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Apparently the GMs of contending teams do not agree with your assessment of Gardner, given Cashman's inability to get value for him in a trade.
    not sure how we know this is true. he's clearly good enough to start across the major leagues. just cos someone hasn't matched ashman's price for a possible trade does not change that.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

If his deal is still as team friendly as it was, I would think it will take more to get him. The Yankees probably aren't willing to pay someone else more equal or marginally better production (even at another position).

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    If his deal is still as team friendly as it was, I would think it will take more to get him. The Yankees probably aren't willing to pay someone else more equal or marginally better production (even at another position).
    I am not sure what you mean by this. Gardner's contract has not changed. He makes 13 million a year through next season, with a team option. Is that good value? Not particularly at this point, given the way down that he has been trending since his peak season in 2012 at age 28. And he is off to a very poor start this year.

I think the Yankees can replace him internally without spending a dollar more. If I were the manager, I would play the 27 year old Hicks, along with Judge of course, regularly. I am pretty confident that Hicks is better than either Gardner or Ellsbury at this point. Anyway, I would want to see what I had in Hicks as an every day player, rather than a sub. The other two OFs will be 34 later in the season and have been on the decline. Unlike most here, I actually think a healthy Ellsbury is likely to have a better year than Gardner. But I would have the two of them share losing their at bats to Hicks. Trading Gardner, or even better Ellsbury, with his longer contract, would require another backup OFer, but I am comfortable with what they have at AAA.

And Gardner would not be starting on most contending teams this year. He has more value to and is given more slack by the Yankees because he is a fan favorite who came up through the system and achieved beyond expectations. Yankee fans have fond memories of when he was better and the fans of other teams would not.

NYYF Legend

As usual I am coming to the defense against the Gardner haters, some who have been driving him out of town since day 1. I admit he has slipped at the plate since 15 and has a low average however his defense is gold glove caliber (my opinion and from several road TV announcers) and has 5 stolen bases (tied for 3rd in the AL) which puts him on a pace for over 30. He is still a top WAR guy among AL left fielders. He would absolutely be a starting outfielder on many teams. I just donít think Cashman wants to trade him. We are no longer a veteran heavy team and he is the default lead vet now. Ellsbury is quiet and Holliday is new to the team. Keeping him around to mentor the kids is another good reason to not trade him. His $13 million salary is easily affordable as it is offset by the low salaries by Judge, Hicks, Bird and Sanchez.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

I am not a Gardner hater. He has been fun to watch. I just think that, like Ellsbury, he is on the way down and that they should trade one of them.

I do not think there are any Gardner haters on this board actually. I think any fan emotion here is all pretty much positive toward Gardner, especially relative to Ellsbury who has done little to justify his inflated contract to endear him to Yankee fans. Also, I have nothing against positive fan emotion. It is part of the fun of being a fan. But I still think the rational baseball decision would be to trade him at this point, at least if there is some value offered, which there may not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    As usual I am coming to the defense against the Gardner haters, some who have been driving him out of town since day 1. I admit he has slipped at the plate since 15 and has a low average however his defense is gold glove caliber (my opinion and from several road TV announcers) and has 5 stolen bases (tied for 3rd in the AL) which puts him on a pace for over 30. He is still a top WAR guy among AL left fielders. He would absolutely be a starting outfielder on many teams. I just donít think Cashman wants to trade him. We are no longer a veteran heavy team and he is the default lead vet now. Ellsbury is quiet and Holliday is new to the team. Keeping him around to mentor the kids is another good reason to not trade him. His $13 million salary is easily affordable as it is offset by the low salaries by Judge, Hicks, Bird and Sanchez.
    I've been defending Gardner since he was in AAA. It wasn't that long ago that there were many of us defending Gardner against comments like "he wouldn't even be a 4OF on a contending team." He was absolutely underrated by many and when healthy he was an important piece that was easy to root for.

That was then. He's not a liability, but given his trajectory and the team's trajectory he doesn't appear to be a central piece for the future. We have a glut of young outfielders that need to have a path cleared. The preferable way to do that would be to get rid of Ellsbury, but the more likely scenario would be trading Gardner.

I'll root my a$$ off for Gardner while he's here. But I think it's pretty hard not to see that if they have the opportunity, they should trade him to free up the roster spot and (although he's not overpriced) the salary in advance of the upcoming offseason.

Make the Yankees great again!!

I am not sure what you mean by this. Gardner's contract has not changed. He makes 13 million a year through next season, with a team option. Is that good value? Not particularly at this point, given the way down that he has been trending since his peak season in 2012 at age 28. And he is off to a very poor start this year.

I think the Yankees can replace him internally without spending a dollar more. If I were the manager, I would play the 27 year old Hicks, along with Judge of course, regularly. I am pretty confident that Hicks is better than either Gardner or Ellsbury at this point. Anyway, I would want to see what I had in Hicks as an every day player, rather than a sub. The other two OFs will be 34 later in the season and have been on the decline. Unlike most here, I actually think a healthy Ellsbury is likely to have a better year than Gardner. But I would have the two of them share losing their at bats to Hicks. Trading Gardner, or even better Ellsbury, with his longer contract, would require another backup OFer, but I am comfortable with what they have at AAA.

And Gardner would not be starting on most contending teams this year. He has more value to and is given more slack by the Yankees because he is a fan favorite who came up through the system and achieved beyond expectations. Yankee fans have fond memories of when he was better and the fans of other teams would not.
    Agree 100%

there are some positive signs. he is top 5 in the league for not swinging at balls
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    there are some positive signs. he is top 5 in the league for not swinging at balls
    He might be top 5 in the league at not swinging at strikes too.

Last three years, Gardner with two strikes....

0-2 .133/.133/.160/.293
    1-2 .162/.164/.219/.383
    2-2 .192/.192/.266/.458
    3-2 .200/.438/.353/.791

Holds up on a couple of cookies down the middle of the plate and then swings at a ball in the dirt or over his head (that's if he doesn't take a called third strike). Maybe he should swing early in the count to at least give himself a chance. He doesn't get it and he has no business batting lead off.

NYYF Legend

Hicks might actually be an upgrade at this point.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF HOF

A post I can easily agree with. I'd like to see the SF Giants take on most of his salary for a decent LH pitching prospect, Andrew Suarez, their 10th best prospect per mlb.com
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Gardy: 0.5 bWAR
    Ellsbury: 0.6 bWAR
    Hick's: 0.7 WAR
    Judge: 1.0 WAR

It's still very early. Judge has been the best outfielder, which has been a pleasant surprise.

Gardy has always been somewhat streaky and he'll hit better. He's been trending down, but he still hasn't dropped under 3.3 WAR this decade, outside of his injury riddle '12 season.
    George, Gabe, Stick >> Hal, Randy, Cashman.

Thread Information