+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2017 Brett Gardner Thread

I love how as soon as Gardy plays well it's 'Trade him now!" and when he slumps it's 'Why didn't we trade him? I told you so!". Hands down the most underappreciated homegrown player in Yankee history.

Edit: Maybe it's just this board. I don't follow social media or what fans are saying on WFAN
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I love how as soon as Gardy plays well it's 'Trade him now!" and when he slumps it's 'Why didn't we trade him? I told you so!". Hands down the most underappreciated homegrown player in Yankee history.

Edit: Maybe it's just this board. I don't follow social media or what fans are saying on WFAN
    I would argue that one Mr. Cano owns that distinction. Not here necessarily but by the fan base and media at large.
    He gone!

I think my post was pretty fair, so I'm assuming that wasn't directed at me...

Realistically, I feel like the time to trade him, if ever, was a few years ago. If you did it now you wouldn't be getting enough back to warrant trading an underrated guy like Gardner. I've been hard on him but you'd have to be blind not to understand what he brings to the team.

I agree with Donny that Gardy is the most unappreciated home grown player that I can think of.

At least Gardy supporters usually don't instigate an internet war when he plays well. It seems that if one suggests that Castro or Hicks should be moved off the team, it's implied that you hate them, root for them to play poorly, and will be happy to see them hurt the team to prove a point.

I think most posters that want to see Gardy traded, still appreciate what he brings to the clubhouse and lineup. My point has been that even if he isn't a starter in the OF, he'd be a helluva 4th OF. And I've been a Refsnyder supporter.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Suspended

.902 ops

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    .902 ops
    And then he's gonna have a .400 OPS for the next 3 weeks. Clockwork I tell ya...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    And then he's gonna have a .400 OPS for the next 3 weeks. Clockwork I tell ya...
    Yep. He is super streaky like that. With that said, I wonder if the Nats have inquired at all about him? Though the Nats have bigger problems than CF right now. Their bullpen stinks.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

The Rodney Dangerfield of the Yankees. The higher his stats go, the increase in the calls to trade him. How about giving him some credit for where the Yankees are this season? In spite of the loud majority I really doubt that Cashman is or was even trying that hard to trade him.

NYYF Legend

The Rodney Dangerfield of the Yankees. The higher his stats go, the increase in the calls to trade him. How about giving him some credit for where the Yankees are this season? In spite of the loud majority I really doubt that Cashman is or was even trying that hard to trade him.
    It has nothing to do with lack of respect. The Yankees have a surplus of outfielders with Frazier and Fowler knocking on the door. At some point, someone is getting traded for pitching. Obviously we'd all prefer that it would be Ellsbury but no one is taking that contract.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Suspended

I love Gardner more than most. My favorite Yankee. However, I can't think of a better time to move him.

We have FIRE in AAA, and Gardner is rocking a .900+ OPS. Makes a lot of sense to capitalize at this very moment before he goes on his streaks in the opposite direction.

Take the money saved on Gardner, add more, and move Ells.

2.0 WAR so far. After a slow start, he's on track to beat his previous high.

He's tied for 2nd on the team with 7 HR's, and his current 1.41 OPS+ is higher than any prior season.

Not too shabby, considering how poorly he started the season.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Gardy's 2.0 bWAR leads all LF's in MLB.

(Trout leads among CF's, and Judge leads the RF's)

NYYF HOF

He had his third multi-home run game of the year. He had two-multi home run games before this year.

NYYF Legend

Well he has certainly shutup the fans who want to drive him out of town. He's on pace for 30 homers.

Well he has certainly shutup the fans who want to drive him out of town. He's on pace for 30 homers.
    I don't know of anyone here that wanted to "drive him out of town."

He's one of my favorite players, but I still would like to explore trade options involving Gardner.

Forget it. There is no way that they are trading Gardner while he contributes to a winning team with a competitive chance right now. I have been advocating a trade for two years and admit I did not think he had a month like this left in him, and I would look to trade him in the off season to free up OF space, but he is too important to the 2017 team's cheoistry to jettison now. It ain't happening.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Forget it. There is no way that they are trading Gardner while he contributes to a winning team with a competitive chance right now. I have been advocating a trade for two years and admit I did not think he had a month like this left in him, and I would look to trade him in the off season to free up OF space, but he is too important to the 2017 team's cheoistry to jettison now. It ain't happening.
    Excellent point. It's almost silly read suggestions of trading off contributing players (Pineda, Castro) while we are sitting in first place.

He's currently double his career high in HR/FB%, so this power surge most likely isn't sustainable, but at least some of the improvement is, as he's hitting more balls in the air than ever before (0.93 GB/FB vs 1.47 for his career. That's a huge difference).

NYYF Legend

2.6 bWAR

And for a career year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I don't know of anyone here that wanted to "drive him out of town."

He's one of my favorite players, but I still would like to explore trade options involving Gardner.
    "drive him out of town" is just an expression of fan mob who collectively want to see a player traded away.

Off season trade sure but not now or 7/31. I would still try to unload Ellsbury first.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    2.6 bWAR
    Dumb question.

If a player has a single amazing night -- say, 5 for 5 with three homers and 8 RBI -- how much is that worth in bWAR? Is the additional bWAR the same regardless of whether the player is starting from 0.0 or 4.0?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

To the specific question you're asking, no. (used to be yes)

3 HRs = 6.18 runs. This is constant.

But b-reference's WAR now has diminishing returns on runs added a good game will have less impact on an already high WAR than on a WAR of zero.

In practice, on a game to game basis, the difference is very small and even over an entire season the effect only becomes significant when you're talking about super stars pushing 8+WAR.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    To the specific question you're asking, no. (used to be yes)

3 HRs = 6.18 runs. This is constant.

But b-reference's WAR now has diminishing returns on runs added a good game will have less impact on an already high WAR than on a WAR of zero.

In practice, on a game to game basis, the difference is very small and even over an entire season the effect only becomes significant when you're talking about super stars pushing 8+WAR.
    Thank you.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

This is good to know, because I am so doing it already:

Thread Information