+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: 2017 Brett Gardner Thread

grittner is so gritty i don't want to see him traded. but man it is a tough decision

Same pattern from this community with Gardy, which I grudgingly accept because it's the popular opinion. He gets off to a slow start- trade him. He's been on fire lately- trade him. We have 4 good OFers- trade Gardy. He's not blocking anyone (Refs and Austin cannot take his place)- trade him anyway.

However, come trading deadline, he'll still be in pinstripes. Even if he loses his starting job, he'd then become the league's best 4th OF.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Same pattern from this community with Gardy, which I grudgingly accept because it's the popular opinion. He gets off to a slow start- trade him. He's been on fire lately- trade him. We have 4 good OFers- trade Gardy. He's not blocking anyone (Refs and Austin cannot take his place)- trade him anyway.

However, come trading deadline, he'll still be in pinstripes. Even if he loses his starting job, he'd then become the league's best 4th OF.
    People have been calling for him to be traded since Ellsbury was signed. We scream for a homegrown player then when we get him we want him traded.
    Last edited by Donnybaseball72; 05-06-17 at 05:31 PM. Reason: made you look
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Do you think trading Gardner for a young, cost-controlled starting pitcher will make the Yankees better in a year or two?

If Hicks can put up numbers that are just as good as Gardner, and the Yanks have enough OF depth to still have a quality 4th OFer, and a few million dollars are freed up for next year, then why not trade Gardner? Nostalgia?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Do you think trading Gardner for a young, cost-controlled starting pitcher will make the Yankees better in a year or two?

If Hicks can put up numbers that are just as good as Gardner, and the Yanks have enough OF depth to still have a quality 4th OFer, and a few million dollars are freed up for next year, then why not trade Gardner? Nostalgia?
    But what if Gardner does have a solid season with the bat? Doesn't a GG OF, who has a good bat, also make this team better now?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    People have been calling for him to be traded since Ellsbury was signed. We scream for a homegrown player then when we get him we want him traded.
    He's been a loyal servant for over a decade. But that doesn't mean someone should get permanent residency from there on out.
    If he is the most realistic way to improve the club without trading top prospects, then thats what should happen.

He's 34 in August and his numbers have been trending down. A good couple of weeks here doesn't change that.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa."

Lots of "ifs", though.

Let's wait to see if Hick's can put up Gardy type numbers. Girardi loves rotating 4 OFers. If Hick's can be the 4th, why not Gardy- why does he either have to be in the starting lineup in LF or gone completely?

Let's see when a farm player is ready to be a starter in the OF. Could be Frazier before the expanded rosters, or the more likely scenario is that it could take him longer.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

grit gritner

Although he's not known for power, Gardy has 5 HR's in his last 6 games.

His OPS+ is over 120 now. 1.1 WAR through 24 games.

NYYF Legend

And then in a week from now, he's gonna go on a two week streak where he looks like he shouldn't be in the majors. Rinse, repeat. Happens every year. He's so streaky.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    And then in a week from now, he's gonna go on a two week streak where he looks like he shouldn't be in the majors. Rinse, repeat. Happens every year. He's so streaky.
    Ha ha...wait until after the ASB.

meh. if you give gardner more time off he'll be more durable and fresh later into the season.

NYYF Legend

Need to trade him before he loses a step. Not as he's losing a step.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    But what if Gardner does have a solid season with the bat? Doesn't a GG OF, who has a good bat, also make this team better now?
    IMO they need a starting pitcher both now and in the future more than the need Gardner. I like the guy, just thinking of ways to improve the team now and/or in the future. And to clarify, I'd only move him in order to get a good pitcher - not to make room for Hicks.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

I have been advocating trading Gardner for a couple of years. Notwithstanding his current good streak, he is on a downward slope at this age. They cannot get the front line starter for him that they need, however, certainly not now. His maximum trade value has passed. Also, there is something to team chemistry and my admittedly distant perception is that Gardner contributes to that. He also still can make key contributions like Friday night. So, I am not sure that a trade during the season will make sense. I just think that he and Ellsbury need to share more time on the bench while Hicks plays regularly -- unless of course some special trade opportunity arises for either.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    I have been advocating trading Gardner for a couple of years. Notwithstanding his current good streak, he is on a downward slope at this age. They cannot get the front line starter for him that they need, however, certainly not now. His maximum trade value has passed. Also, there is something to team chemistry and my admittedly distant perception is that Gardner contributes to that. He also still can make key contributions like Friday night. So, I am not sure that a trade during the season will make sense. I just think that he and Ellsbury need to share more time on the bench while Hicks plays regularly -- unless of course some special trade opportunity arises for either.
    Points well taken.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    I have been advocating trading Gardner for a couple of years. Notwithstanding his current good streak, he is on a downward slope at this age. They cannot get the front line starter for him that they need, however, certainly not now. His maximum trade value has passed.

Do you think Gardner to the Nationals for Joe Ross is a fair deal for both teams?

Suspended

#tradeElls

Do you think Gardner to the Nationals for Joe Ross is a fair deal for both teams?
    I do not know enough about Ross to try answering. Also, I do not think trades are or are not made based on fairness. But I will say that mid-season trades between contending teams are very rare for good reason. Also, I really don't think the Yankees will trade the popular Gardner mid-season at all. They will use prospects for a starting pitcher if they buy.

Calling Brett Gardner popular is like calling Honda Accords popular.

They get the job done but everyone wants to trade up.

Gardner just doesn't fit any "exciting" prototype for a baseball player and his skillset is relatively unique that doesn't jibe with his apparent physical gifts. (he's an OBP guy with speed but no ability to steal) But you know what, he's excellent value.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Calling Brett Gardner popular is like calling Honda Accords popular.

They get the job done but everyone wants to trade up.

Gardner just doesn't fit any "exciting" prototype for a baseball player and his skillset is relatively unique that doesn't jibe with his apparent physical gifts. (he's an OBP guy with speed but no ability to steal) But you know what, he's excellent value.
    He's one of those guys I'll probably miss when he's gone but, I'd trade him in a heart beat for the right deal. That said, he's likely not going to bring back anything worth trading him anyway so it's likely moot at this point. Hopefully Ells can mash until the summer and Cash can dispatch him in some magical deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    He's one of those guys I'll probably miss when he's gone but, I'd trade him in a heart beat for the right deal. That said, he's likely not going to bring back anything worth trading him anyway so it's likely moot at this point. Hopefully Ells can mash until the summer and Cash can dispatch him in some magical deal.
    He's one of my favorite guys to watch. You're right though I don't think he has much value. I don't know what the right deal would look like short of a steal. Can't really see anyone being that stupid.

He's on fire, but I still don't think he's got much trade value. better to keep him and ride this team, they're pretty good...

Yep, he's worth substantially more to this team than the marginal package NYY would get in return.

what's the stats on his homer. it went out pretty fast

Thread Information