+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

2017 Tanaka Thread

I really don't like this guy, always seemed like something was *off* about him despite the brief stints of solid performance here and there. But here we have an important game and he's sh*tting the bed yet again, against a bad team too. He needs to have that surgery, on his head or something. Will not be sad to see him go.
    Fire Tanaka

NYYF Legend

Re: 2017 Tanaka Thread

Gee tough crowd, it was the first inning of a brand new year. Also, the Bird misplay did not help his cause. I think by a very wide margin that Tanaka is the Yankees best starter and it is rash in the extreme, to start flaming him so early in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    Gee tough crowd, it was the first inning of a brand new year. Also, the Bird misplay did not help his cause. I think by a very wide margin that Tanaka is the Yankees best starter and it is rash in the extreme, to start flaming him so early in the year.
    Agreed. Just a bad inning. Looked at first he and Sanchez had a hard time getting on the same page which didn't help.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    I think by a very wide margin that Tanaka is the Yankees best starter
    I don't disagree, but that says more about the state of our pitiful starting rotation than about this guy.
    Fire Tanaka

Tanaka wasn't a good pitcher last year. He was a great one. Not concerned about him at all.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I feel like this is sarcasm, right?

NYYF Legend

Unbelievable. Maybe he should do the honorable thing and give back some of the money he took from the Yankees and then retire.
    Fire Tanaka

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    he's sh*tting the bed yet again
    You'd love that.

NYYF Legend

Unbelievable. Maybe he should do the honorable thing and give back some of the money he took from the Yankees and then retire.
    Was April Fools Day changed to April 2nd?

Devoted Member

Tanaka is by far and away our best pitcher. He is an ace.

But, there are plenty of concerning stats that make you wonder if Tanaka is trending downward.

Until it happens though, I'm betting he will be fine.

The Yankees haven't won an Opening Day game since 2011.

Tanaka has never had a great Opening Day start since he's been with us.

We'll be ok

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

I don't disagree, but that says more about the state of our pitiful starting rotation than about this guy.
    he's one of the best 10 to 15 pitchers in MLB. i'm not concerned.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

I really don't like this guy, always seemed like something was *off* about him despite the brief stints of solid performance here and there. But here we have an important game and he's sh*tting the bed yet again, against a bad team too. He needs to have that surgery, on his head or something. Will not be sad to see him go.
    Well that was a calm and level headed response to ONE start.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

sam, relax.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Wait, this wasn't posted in saracasm?

Wow. Tanaka has been an ace for us. If he's still struggling into May, then we have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    Wait, this wasn't posted in saracasm?

Wow. Tanaka has been an ace for us. If he's still struggling into May, then we have a problem.
    I but today I can understand why one could think it was

NYYF Legend

it's funny how after one game, some people panic about Tanaka. He's been our best starter since we signed him, has the highest winning percentage of any starter in the bigs in a last few years and is dependable. Yeah, he threw a cluncker to open the season, it happens. His splitter was very inconsistent, he'll rebound and be just fine. Relax people.

It's worth pointing out that the original post was made after one bad inning, not one bad game.

Jeez, it took some of us a full two and two-thirds innings to give up on Tanaka for the rest of the season.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Tanaka's contract situation is a win-win for the Yankees, IMO, as long as they do not give him the CC extension. If he opts out, so be it. Let another team overpay for his decline years and inevitable TJ surgery. If he elects to finish out his contract, the Yankees have him for his prime years. I'm pretty confident yesterday was just an aberration.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Addicted Member

Tanaka's starts this ST were against the opposing teams starting lineups and he was fantastic!
    I think his performance in ST was more predictive of his status as our ace then this one game.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Tanaka's contract situation is a win-win for the Yankees, IMO, as long as they do not give him the CC extension. If he opts out, so be it. Let another team overpay for his decline years and inevitable TJ surgery. If he elects to finish out his contract, the Yankees have him for his prime years. I'm pretty confident yesterday was just an aberration.
    Exactly.

I really hope that he opts out because that will mean he has a good season and his arm is healthy. We're overdue to put a FA signing into the win column.

Paying ARod's and CC's bloated salaries this season will remind the FO to tread carefully with players exercising (or intending to exercise) their opt out clauses.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

I hope He does not opt out. Where will we find a replacement at the cost he will have?

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I hope He does not opt out. Where will we find a replacement at the cost he will have?
    I understand your point. But if he doesn't opt out, it'll be because he pitches terribly this year, or has an injury bad enough to scare away other teams. Short of that, he's testing the market, IMO.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

NYYF Legend

Or just perform hari kari on the mound?
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    I understand your point. But if he doesn't opt out, it'll be because he pitches terribly this year, or has an injury bad enough to scare away other teams. Short of that, he's testing the market, IMO.
    I don't think that is a lock as others. But yes my assumption is he is healthy and stays. If he opts out I make him the same offer he had remaining on the deal and if someone tops it wish him the best. Might show some flexibility dollar wise but not years.

Thread Information