Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 15 16 17 18
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Re: 2017 Tanaka Thread

Well, technically his last 3 starts.

2.89 ERA
    13.02 K/9
    5.4 K/BB
    1.07 WHIP

Averaging a little over 6 innings per start.

I didn't get to watch a pitch.. how did he look?

Obviously the results were there but was the stuff? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Serious question. Why is oriental offensive?
    I dont really want to veer too far off the thread but in a nutshell, i've been explaining it like this all week to folks:

Because it was used in a derogatory fashion. Words evolve over time. Oriental once referred to Egypt in the old latin roman times. Eventually after more of the world was "discovered," it began to be used as a term for asians.

It wasnt really an offensive term until the 1900's when racists began using the term in a derogatory fashion to further the narrative that asian americans weren't american. Tensions against asians and asian americans began resurfacing after WW2 and subsequent wars in vietnam and korea. If i remember correctly, the peak useage of Oriental was in the 70's right after vietnam.

Its offensiveness is similar to how the words f-g and n-- refer to gays and african americans. Once upon a time, f-g referred to a bunch of sticks and the n word referred to stingyness. Over time those words were used in a derogatory fashion and became offensive.

What's important is not the original meaning of the word, but how that word affects people today. A bunch of people claim "but its never meant to be offensive" are denying the fact that it has become offensive over time.

I've been called Oriental a few times in my life and to be honest, a lot of folks are unaware that its offensive. And thats okay as long as they cease using the word upon discovering the derogative nature of the word. Some people continue to use it or deny its offensiveness and well, they're just Insensitive Dicks.

can't really tell with tanaka's stuff. either he's giving up homers or he's not. he'll always strike out people
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

tho, it's good to lay to rest the magical catcher bull................
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    tho, it's good to lay to rest the magical catcher bull................
    You're right. There was nothing magical about the way Sanchez caught Tanaka last night. A passed ball demonstration and grass stomping mound visit demonstration though. It didn't distract Tanaka this time. Whew.

NYYF Legend

Baby steps. Pitch well next time MT. And then the next, and then the next...
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    You're right. There was nothing magical about the way Sanchez caught Tanaka last night. A passed ball demonstration and grass stomping mound visit demonstration though. It didn't distract Tanaka this time. Whew.
    0 cERA.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Serious question. Why is oriental offensive?
    Its generally seen as an old term used to group together anyone from Southeast Asia and was often used way back when the Chinese were building the railroads. Certainly doesn't have nearly the same negative connotation as other derogatory words, but some people find it more of terms used by people who are naive. I'm Asian and I don't find it offensive at all lol

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    0 cERA.
    Really beating that dead horse, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Lol the irony of someone using the term "oriental" when talking about how offensive the term "jap" is
    One of the most ironic and unintentionally funny posts OF ALL TIME.

NYYF Legend

More on "oriental." If Wikipedia can be believed, its use is not considered offensive in British English, which I did not know.

British English

In British English, the term Oriental refers to people from East and Southeast Asia (such as those from China, Japan, Korea, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Mongolia and Laos) and is not generally regarded as offensive. "Asian" in the United Kingdom generally refers to people from South Asia (in particular Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and Maldives) since British Asians make up approximately 6.9% of the population.[7] "Orientals" refers exclusively to people of East and Southeast Asian origin, who comprise 0.7% of the UK population as a whole, and 5.3% of the non-European population. Of these, the majority are of Chinese descent.[8] Orient is also a word for the lustre of a fine pearl.[9] Hong Kong, a former British colony, has been called "Pearl of the Orient".

American English

Distinct within American culture, some American English speakers consider the term "Oriental" to be an antiquated, pejorative, and disparaging term. John Kuo Wei Tchen, director of the Asian/Pacific/American Studies Program and Institute at New York University, said the basic critique of the term developed in the U.S. in the 1970s. Tchen has said: "With the U.S.A. anti-war movement in the '60s and early '70s, many Asian Americans identified the term 'Oriental' with a Western process of racializing Asians as forever opposite 'others'."[10] In a 2009 American press release related to legislation aimed at removing the term "oriental" from official documents of the State of New York, Governor David Paterson said: "The word 'oriental' does not describe ethnic origin, background or even race; in fact, it has deep and demeaning historical roots".[11]

In 2016, President Barack Obama signed legislation striking the word from federal law.[12]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient

Thread Information