+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 24 25 26 27

Re: 2017 Tanaka Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    I still don't trust him in a big game but I have to give him credit for tonight. Hoping the Yankees don't bring him back once he opts out.
    Hard man to please!!!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I wonder if a poster with the initials “BM” still thinks there’s absolutely no shot Tanaka is opting out.
    Have to admit — I made the same prediction. Now I’m not so sure.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by RyRy89 View Post
    What? He was lights out all post season. His 1-0 shutout performance against Cleveland was the definition of a big game. But you still don't trust him? I get his regular season struggles and inconsistencies have some people worried. But what a lot of people fail to see is that he was money last season. I think he's shown his ability to be a series changing pitxhwe.
    I'm assuming Sam18 is being sarcastic. If not, he's simply insane, lol.

Tanaka has only really struggled in his career during like the first few months this season. Otherwise, he's been mostly money throughout his whole career.

You've got to hand it to him. These are the moments they brought him here for and he's been phenomenal. What's even more ironic is in 4 career postseason starts, he's been matched against Keuchel three times. What are the odds?

NYYF Legend

I hear Tanaka eats snakes for breakfast
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

He's been absolutely brilliant. I'm really impressed.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

I hear he's originally from Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    Mid-season, a lot of people here would have traded Tanaka for a bag of balls, now he is leading us to the WS.

It's been quite a ride.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/ya...-from-rotation
    He is fooling no one, and the Yankees are fooling themselves if they don’t act. Yankees manager Joe Girardi did not say that the team will try something new, but, importantly, he did not rule it out.

“This guy has been the ace of our staff the last three years,” Girardi said. “I don’t think you just forget how to pitch. For him, it has been inconsistent stuff that has really killed him. We have to find a way to get him back on track.”

It is time to give Tanaka a timeout and see what minor league sensation Chance Adams can do at the big league level. The Yankees need to either further investigate what is wrong with Tanaka or “find” something so they can temporarily remove Tanaka from the rotation. It is craziness, otherwise.

NYYF Legend

"Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Remember when Pedro Martinez all but predicted Tanaka needing surgery. Ah, good times.

Masa is beasting in the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I wonder if a poster with the initials “BM” still thinks there’s absolutely no shot Tanaka is opting out.
    I hear you, Boss. Think I may have to eat my words?

I think I also said unless he's MVP of the World Series (or something like that). Looks like he may just do that.

I still have reservations about whether he will or should opt out. I keep thinking of the case of Adam Wainwright, who was diagnosed with a similar tear in 2004. Like Tanaka, Wainwright was treated with rest instead of surgery. He pitched healthy for 6 years after that (2005-10), missing time in some years as Tanaka has, and pitched at times brilliantly - 3rd in CY voting in 2009 and 2nd in 2010. He finally did have to get TJ surgery after the 2010 season, missing the entire 2011 season and struggling through the first half of the 2012 season with sub par performance,

If Tanaka's case has a similar progression, he has 3 more years, during which he might pitch extremely well. Three years happens to be what's left in his contract. So, anyone wanting to sign him will have to offer him more money than he's currently owed either annually or by guaranteeing more years or both. Judging by Wainwright's case, that's taking on a lot of risk.

I know that every case is different, so it's unlikely that Tanaka's experience will be the same as Wainwright's. It's just a cautionary tale. The differences between the 2 cases also means that Tanaka could just as easily break down sooner as later.

There aren't many precedents to judge by. But if I can connect the dots from Wainwright to Tanaka, so can the guys who work in major league offices. The issue has never been whether he can be a good pitcher, it's been the amount of risk he poses to a team that signs him to an extension. The decision to opt out depends on whether he wants to forego the guaranteed $67 million to find out if there's a team wants to take on that risk. While this postseason certainly makes signing him more tempting, it doesn't change anything about the risk/reward proposition that he presents.

The even bigger deterrent to a team signing him is that such a preesisting condition may make his contract uninsurable - or at least so prohibitively expensive to insure as to reduce the amount of money team's are willing to pay him after considering the combined cost of salary and insurance.

So, today I'll happily eat crow to celebrate a great outcome to the season for a good guy who struggled earlier. I'm just not ready to say that this does much to change the factors in an opt out decision.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Am I the only one who didn't think he had great stuff last night? It was more of a poor approach by the Astros. I don't think he was bad, by any stretch, but his stuff didn't look that great.

It seems like he was helped a lot by the ump's wide strike zone, too. Unreachable pitches were being called strikes so they were swinging for them.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Cy Young

He was definitely helped out by the umps strikezone last night, that outside pitch got called a fair amount and the Astros started going for it. That being said, I was impressed with his velocity last night, hadn't seen him hit 95/96 since I don't know when.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    He should text Otani. This could be you.
    Very good

Keuchel got the same strike zone. How'd he do? Tanaka put the ball wherever he wanted last night. He had great stuff. Obviously.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'." - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyEllis View Post
    Keuchel got the same strike zone. How'd he do? Tanaka put the ball wherever he wanted last night. He had great stuff. Obviously.
    He didn't adapt to it and start throwing a little further outside. Also, I think they were kinder to Tanaka than Keuchel.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    He didn't adapt to it and start throwing a little further outside. Also, I think they were kinder to Tanaka than Keuchel.

I really do not think Tanaka got too many breaks. He was pitching like he did in the first half of 2014, when he first came over. Everything was moving, and he had then guessing badly.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    They both had the same zone. Bird got punched out on a pitch that was clearly outside. Tanaka threw a lot of pitches to the top of the K box that were called balls.

Who do you think had the better stuff last night?
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'." - Yogi Berra

I looked it up on fangraphs. TV box was way narrow for some reason. Ump was dead on most of the game. Never mind, carry on

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

did NOT opt out.

wasn't expecting that.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Very surprised he didn't opt out. Shocked I actually believe him when he says it was an easy decision because he wanted to stay in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Very surprised he didn't opt out. Shocked I actually believe him when he says it was an easy decision because he wanted to stay in NYC.
    I think the direct quote was that, ". . . I have truly enjoyed the past 4 years playing for this organization and for the wonderful fans of New York."

So is our rotation basically set if we get CC?

Thread Information