+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2017 Tanaka Thread

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I don't think that is a lock as others. But yes my assumption is he is healthy and stays. If he opts out I make him the same offer he had remaining on the deal and if someone tops it wish him the best. Might show some flexibility dollar wise but not years.
    If healthy he's a lock to opt out. And there is no way he signs a 3 year $67M deal.

When some recent contracts for pitchers have been
    Price 7/$217M
    Lester 6/$150M (last year opt out)
    Greinke 6/$206.5M

So the question becomes do you want to resign Tanaka for 5 -7 years entering his age 29 season?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    If healthy he's a lock to opt out. And there is no way he signs a 3 year $67M deal.

Price 7/$217M
    Greinke 6/$206.5M

So the question becomes do you want to resign Tanaka for 5 -7 years entering his age 29 season?
    Agreed which is why I said if he does to let him go. But the consequence is that we extend our rebuild longer. Right now he is our only proven pitcher. We can hope Severino and Montgomery do well. Free agents? Jake Arrieta is a free agent but assuming he makes it, he is asking 7 years/$200 million plus. That is the price of a proven top of the rotation pitcher.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    It's worth pointing out that the original post was made after one bad inning, not one bad game.

Jeez, it took some of us a full two and two-thirds innings to give up on Tanaka for the rest of the season.
    Would it make you feel better if I said I gave up on him two years ago after the Houston game?
    Fire Tanaka

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Or just perform hari kari on the mound?
    He'd just miss his location and end up stabbing Greg Bird or something. No thanks.
    Fire Tanaka

Make the Yankees great again!!

Price 7/$217M
    Greinke 6/$206.5M

I continue to maintain that regardless of how he pitches this year if Tanaka opts out I would not resign him. Main considerations for me are his age, condition of the elbow, years he will want (obviously more than 3), and the constant need to manage his workload.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I continue to maintain that regardless of how he pitches this year if Tanaka opts out I would not resign him. Main considerations for me are his age, condition of the elbow, years he will want (obviously more than 3), and the constant need to manage his workload.
    A lot of people share this view and it's not at all unreasonable.

Myself I'm still up in the air. I hate to lose a pitching talent of his caliber but the 2nd CC deal was pretty much a disaster.

I think if he opts out you evaluate him as you would any other FA and decide if he's worth the price or not but clearly if he gets through this year with similar numbers to last year a 5 year deal at $25M per is likely his floor.

For the reasons you list I'm not sure if that's a good gamble or not.
    Baseball is life;

One thing I would not do is give him more years.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

then you are not keeping him.

i'm generally a fan of opt-outs as long as the team doesn't extend/re-sign the player. the track record of the second contract is not good.

that said, they'll need to consider keeping tanaka given the rest of the pitching staff.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    Would it make you feel better if I said I gave up on him two years ago after the Houston game?
    What might make you feel better is understanding when someone is making a joke that actually expresses sympathy for your reaction.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

interesting exercise to think of his potential return at last tdl

no trade clause and all that tho
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    interesting exercise to think of his potential return at last tdl

no trade clause and all that tho
    If the Yanks are interested in trading him at the dead line it means
    1 - the Yanks are out of contention
    2 - Tanaka is pitching well enough that he'll certainly opt out at season end

If that's the case I'd be shocked if a NTC held up a deal.

Oh another thing to consider, I don't know the answer. If Tanaka opts out with the Yanks can they put a QO on him?

A QO will not impact Tanaka's value at all in FA but it would at least bring back a small return if that's all the Yanks get.
    Baseball is life;

If the Yanks are interested in trading him at the dead line it means
    1 - the Yanks are out of contention
    2 - Tanaka is pitching well enough that he'll certainly opt out at season end

If that's the case I'd be shocked if a NTC held up a deal.

Oh another thing to consider, I don't know the answer. If Tanaka opts out with the Yanks can they put a QO on him?

A QO will not impact Tanaka's value at all in FA but it would at least bring back a small return if that's all the Yanks get.
    I think that Tanaka believed that he would have been pitching more in the postseason. If we're out of it again, I think he would be open to a trade to a contender. Especially if it's a foregone conclusion that he'll opt out.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Yes...However, I believe due to our market size that pick isn't anything special. It's imperative they trade him.

well yea obviously trade him this year. i was talking about last year though since he was doing very well.

you might see him struggle if the higher zone thing is confirmed to be a thing
    Last edited by awy; 04-04-17 at 02:31 PM.
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Yes...However, I believe due to our market size that pick isn't anything special. It's imperative they trade him.
    Trade him for what though, prospects or a player(s) already established in the majors? With the Yankees rotation already the weakest point, I just hate seeing the Yankees trade him away just for the sake that he is going to opt out at seasons end. At some point in the future, the Yankees must address their starting pitching whether that comes from within or from outside, who knows. And Tanaka would be a solid piece to try to build something around.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    Trade him for what though, prospects or a player(s) already established in the majors? With the Yankees rotation already the weakest point, I just hate seeing the Yankees trade him away just for the sake that he is going to opt out at seasons end. At some point in the future, the Yankees must address their starting pitching whether that comes from within or from outside, who knows. And Tanaka would be a solid piece to try to build something around.
    To answer your question- I'd want to trade him for highly regarded prospects. That's likely what a contender, one quality SP short of winning a ring, would want to give us. The fact that he's going to opt out is the major reason why I'd like to see him moved.

Seeing Cashman's success with Chapman/Miller last season, combined with his regrets over not trading Cano, leads me to think that Tanaka will be gone by the trade deadline.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

NYYF Legend

I'm mostly in this camp. If they could resign Tanaka for 5 years I'd be very happy happy with that.

There is always some risk with pitching but I think a 5 year deal would be good in this case. Just my opinion.
    Baseball is life;

You are missing the very simple point. Not trading Tanaka doesn't ensure he stays in your rotation for next season.

If he has half a decent season, he's opting out, easily. This isn't even a point I can debate. If he doesn't opt out, it's because he was injured/extremely ineffective, and the market wouldn't pay him what he is owed or more. In which case, why would you want to?

NYYF Legend

You are missing the very simple point. Not trading Tanaka doesn't ensure he stays in your rotation for next season.
    If the Yanks are in striking distance of the WC, I would not expect management to look to move him.

Whether or not that is a prudent decision is a matter of debate.

If the Yanks are out of contention then absent an extension removing the opt out, not exploring trade options for Tanaka would be silly.
    Baseball is life;

If the Yanks are in striking distance of the WC, I would not expect management to look to move him.

Whether or not that is a prudent decision is a matter of debate.

If the Yanks are out of contention then absent an extension removing the opt out, not exploring trade options for Tanaka would be silly.
    If the Yankees wanted to extend him, they would have done so this offseason, they made no such effort, they aren't going to try it now midseason.

NYYF Legend

If he has half a decent season, he's opting out, easily. This isn't even a point I can debate. If he doesn't opt out, it's because he was injured/extremely ineffective, and the market wouldn't pay him what he is owed or more. In which case, why would you want to?
    I see the point and fully agree with your assessment of the opt out. All that I am saying, is if Tanaka does have a solid season, I think that it would be wise for the Yankees to explore re-signing him to a multi year deal.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    He'd just miss his location and end up stabbing Greg Bird or something. No thanks.
    Fine, then bukkake from all the umpires it is
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Fine, then bukkake from all the umpires it is
    Is this what your signature is about?
    Fire Tanaka

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/th...ource=facebook

Per CBS Yanks reportedly will not pursue Tanaka if he opts out.

NYYF Legend

If that report is true, the Yankees will certainly have to address the starting pitching then. And at this point, it really is difficult to think how they would do so by trying to fix it from within.

Thread Information