+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

2017 Umpire Performance Thread

F U...Holliday was clearly safe.

NYYF Legend

Re: 2017 Umpire Performance Thread

The only thing I can figure is that the replay feed was still blurry. Otherwise I can't understand why that call was not overturned.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

0 for 1.

NYYF Legend

What is the point of having replay if even when it is used, the call is incorrect? Might as well scrap it and keep going with the falliable human element.

0-2 now on replay. One each way.

Well 0-2 on replays though the Castro call was by far more close.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

NYYF Legend

Replay was horrible ..

Girardi says on postgame that report from NY on Holliday was "no usable feed". That's why it was so fast....and wrong.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

not exactly a good start. it's like when MLB.tv used to suck during the first week of the season.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

i have no problem if they want to go to a system where they will not overturn something unless it is 100% clear that the original call was wrong. they just better stay consistent with it..

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Girardi says on postgame that report from NY on Holliday was "no usable feed". That's why it was so fast....and wrong.
    Wait, so the replays we were watching within 60 seconds of the out being called was not available to the umpires reviewing it? Granted, the first 3 views were obstructed by the umpire, but the 4th and 5th views clearly showed he was safe.

The umps don't have access to the replays TV viewers have? At least as a fallback?
    If money is a science, then it is a dark science...it has gone on developing...by its own rules. Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

maybe new york hq put in some rule that says, you are only allowed to scroll through [a small number] of angles before making a decision.

pace of play, blame manfred lol
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    maybe new york hq put in some rule that says, you are only allowed to scroll through [a small number] of angles before making a decision.

Very good point

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post

There is a new conditional 2-minute guideline for replays this year. So yeah, it does point back to Manfred and his "pace of play" obsession.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    There is a new conditional 2-minute guideline for replays this year. So yeah, it does point back to Manfred and his "pace of play" obsession.

The replay last night (Sanchez's throw to catch the runner at 2nd) took a lot closer to 3 minutes than 2.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    The replay last night (Sanchez's throw to catch the runner at 2nd) took a lot closer to 3 minutes than 2.
    And I have no idea why it takes even 2 minutes. If it's not a blatant mistake, and can't be easily discerned by a quick view or two on camera, just stick with the ruling on the field.

We saw on Opening Day two replays they spent time and and got both wrong. The first one (Holliday beating the throw to first) was completely obvious and should have been overturned within seconds. The second one (Castro's heel touching the bag just after the ball was caught at first) was less obvious, but still shouldn't take 2 minutes - especially if they're evidently not going for absolute accuracy as evidenced by those two calls.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Yeah, apparently they are just "guidelines" and exceptions can be made: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2986936
    Additionally, a "conditional two-minute guideline" will be instituted for replay officials when they are making a call on review. The announcement left some wiggle room, noting replay officials could surpass the two-minute limit for "various exceptions."

seems like a problem resolvable by you know, having more than 1 screen
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

NYYF Legend

I simply do not understand the umpires ruling tonight on the Judge HR.....not. How in the world that was not ruled a HR, that was clearly into the stands using the naked eye as well as any angle on the replay, is beyond me. And if it was ruled fan interference, why was a Judge given a triple instead of it being a ground rule double. If a ball is touched by a fan, that ball is still live and in play? Because that was the ruling that the umpires went with tonight.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    I simply do not understand the umpires ruling tonight on the Judge HR.....not. How in the world that was not ruled a HR, that was clearly into the stands using the naked eye as well as any angle on the replay, is beyond me. And if it was ruled fan interference, why was a Judge given a triple instead of it being a ground rule double. If a ball is touched by a fan, that ball is still live and in play? Because that was the ruling that the umpires went with tonight.
    I asked this multiple times in the game thread.
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

And if it was ruled fan interference, why was a Judge given a triple instead of it being a ground rule double.
    It's up to the umpire's discretion to make that call. For instance, if the runner is on their way to 3rd when a fan touches it, they can give them the base.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    It's up to the umpire's discretion to make that call. If the runner is on their way to 3rd when a fan touches it, they can give them the base.
    Judge is not exactly a burner and from the angles shown, it looked like the ricochet off of the fan helped get him to 3rd.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    It's up to the umpire's discretion to make that call. For instance, if the runner is on their way to 3rd when a fan touches it, they can give them the base.
    He wasn't on his way to third when the fan touched it.
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

Judge is not exactly a burner and from the angles shown, it looked like the ricochet off of the fan helped get him to 3rd.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    He wasn't on his way to third when the fan touched it.
    I can't speak to it, I don't really remember where he was, just explaining the rule.

When two bases are awarded by either ground rules or the automatic rule, any baserunners ahead of the batter are entitled to advance two bases from their positions at the time of pitch. Only in the case of interference is the umpire vested with discretion to award more bases.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_rule_double
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Umpires are an absolute disgrace tonight
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Thread Information