+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2017 Umpire Performance Thread

I'd rather not blame the umpires for badly called strike zones. I'd like technology used so the calls are always correct.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I'd rather not blame the umpires for badly called strike zones. I'd like technology used so the calls are always correct.
    While I agree with the goal, I am leery of the road to get there. Even if the tech is ready for prime time, pitchers and coaches will spend a lot of effort to identify pitches that are unhittable yet the machine calls a strike. We could see a period where at Bats look really ridiculous until adjustments get made.

We are at the point though, where it is worth the investment. Do it in Triple-A first.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Even if the tech is ready for prime time, pitchers and coaches will spend a lot of effort to identify pitches that are unhittable yet the machine calls a strike. We could see a period where at Bats look really ridiculous until adjustments get made.
    I agree with this 99.44%. My exception is the usage of the word, "yet". If it's a strike, it's a strike. The end.

I also think it's 100% fair and will add to the beauty of the game. If a pitcher can execute the perfect pitch according to the technology all the time, he DESERVES to have it called every time. It would be absolutely amazing and enthralling to watch - pure talent performing; an almost wholly objective representation of the athlete's effort - nothing subject to the ego or interpretation of an outside individual.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I agree with this 99.44%. My exception is the usage of the word, "yet". If it's a strike, it's a strike. The end.

I also think it's 100% fair and will add to the beauty of the game. If a pitcher can execute the perfect pitch according to the technology all the time, he DESERVES to have it called every time. It would be absolutely amazing and enthralling to watch - pure talent performing; an almost wholly objective representation of the athlete's effort - nothing subject to the ego or interpretation of an outside individual.
    100%. Who else isnt tired of angel hernandez or laz diazís bull................ shenanigans? Human element has a possibility of bias. Remove bias and the game becomes much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post

Thread Information