+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Re: 2017 Umpire Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Balls and Strikes should be called by technology.
    I don't disagree but how would it be implemented? Like immediately after a pitch how would everyone know if its a ball or strike?

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    I don't disagree but how would it be implemented? Like immediately after a pitch how would everyone know if its a ball or strike?
    Red light green light.

Or simply put it in the scoreboard.

i never seen such worse calls and strikes in a very long time...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Red light green light.

Or simply put it in the scoreboard.
    They could keep the ump back there and he/she could get the signal on some sort of device and could still make the visible and audible call. This would not change the aesthetic and would keep the ump there to make other calls.

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    They could keep the ump back there and he/she could get the signal on some sort of device and could still make the visible and audible call. This would not change the aesthetic and would keep the ump there to make other calls.
    I kinda like this. I was thinking it would kinda suck to not have the historic signal of a strike or a ball, but your idea fits that perfectly.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    The umpire's union would probably fight this tooth and nail but I like the idea. It preserves the "human element" that some still crave while taking the human error and bias out of the equation.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    The umpire's union would probably fight this tooth and nail but I like the idea. It preserves the "human element" that some still crave while taking the human error and bias out of the equation.
    I'm not sure why the union would balk at this. No one loses their job and the job gets easier.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

I'm not sure why the union would balk at this. No one loses their job and the job gets easier.
    That was part of my reason for proposing it this way. The union is only going to get fired up if they contract the number of jobs.

NYYF Legend

They might view it as a slippery slope. It's a first step towards replacing them with an electronic strike zone entirely. It also a de facto admission that they miss a lot of calls. It would be a blow to their massive egos.

MLB needs to go to a robo strike zone. If the union resists, toss them and hire non union scabs. With instant replay and a robotic strike zone, whats the need for umpires? at the very least, the threat of unemployment should be enough to give MLB leverage on the umps.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    MLB needs to go to a robo strike zone. ..
    This needs to happen
    Ben Zobrist Says MLB Needs Electronic Strike Zone

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...me-ending-call

NYYF Legend

They might view it as a slippery slope. It's a first step towards replacing them with an electronic strike zone entirely. It also a de facto admission that they miss a lot of calls. It would be a blow to their massive egos.
    The slope is already slippery with the implementation of replay. Wven if calls go against the team I am rooting for, at least I know they get it right most of the time. Changes are coming, even if it will take awhile.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Pinstriper View Post
    This needs to happen
    Ben Zobrist Says MLB Needs Electronic Strike Zone

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...me-ending-call
    Good. More players need to say it. Zobrist and Maddon handled it perfectly too. They made it clear that they were not happy with the call without actually bashing the umpire.

Good. More players need to say it. Zobrist and Maddon handled it perfectly too. They made it clear that they were not happy with the call without actually bashing the umpire.
    As a union man myself, I think the best things the umps can do is get out ahead of this. It's inevitable and the best thing they can do for their membership is to propose what I proposed. If they act reactively here, they could end up losing these jobs.

NYYF Legend

Well one went our way at least ... that last pitch by Betances was, ummm ...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    Well one went our way at least ... that last pitch by Betances was, ummm ...
    They owed us one.

Ian Kinsler...lol

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...baseball-games

Speaking to reporters, Kinsler said that Hernandez, who has been a major league umpire since 1993, "needs to re-evaluate his career choice" because he's "messing with baseball games."

"I'm surprised at how bad an umpire he is," Kinsler said, according to the Detroit News. "I don't know how, for as many years he's been in the league, that he can be that bad. He needs to re-evaluate his career choice, he really does. Bottom line.
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    This Administration reminds me of Reservoir Dogs...Evil white guys in suits, few roles for women and Mr. Orange lies through the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
    Soooooo true. Attaboy.

There was plenty of drama at Comerica Park on Saturday. Very little had to do with the game.

The spectacle began before the first pitch was thrown, when the four umpires working Saturday’s Tigers-Dodgers game emerged from the tunnel behind home plate. Two of them did so wearing white wristbands.

There was no discussion of why, no explanation to the players or managers — though Major League Baseball was informed of their intentions, a source tells The Athletic — just a last-minute tweet from the World Umpires Association explaining that they were wearing the wristbands in protest of “escalating verbal attacks.”

https://theathletic.com/86789/2017/0...mpire-protest/

Interesting. We get the Tigers next, so I hope the entire series is full of revenge calls against them.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Triple Crown

Joe West should've never been brought back after MLB accepted his resignation during the Major League Umpires Association's strike in 1999.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
    In 2010, an ESPN survey revealed that 22 percent of players who were asked called Hernandez the worst umpire in the majors.

A native of Cuba, Hernandez filed a lawsuit against Major League Baseball last month alleging that racial discrimination, as well as a long-simmering personal vendetta between him and MLB chief baseball officer Joe Torre, has hindered his career advancement. A few days after filing the suit, Hernandez was named an umpire for the All-Star Game in Miami. The suit is pending.

Way to play the race card. What an absolute POS.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Major league umpires dropped their white wristband protests after Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred agreed to meet with their union's governing board to address "verbal attacks and other issues that must be addressed."
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...red/584327001/

NYYF Legend

Hopefully Manfred asks them why they suck at their jobs.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Wonder if the umps would trade robo ball/strikes for full time LF/RF umps. That would create 30 more jobs overnight.

TBH I'm surprised that didn't happen with the replay discussions.
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

Thread Information