NYYF Legend

Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    Yep that was me!
    Fantastic. Glad you saw some wins.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Could it be that Rothschild is good but not perfect?

Maybe his diagnosis is spot on at times and a pitcher corrects his mechanical flaws. Maybe at other times his diagnosis is spot on, but the pitcher fails to apply the diagnosis properly or takes a long time to do so. Maybe there are other cases that the coach just can't figure out.

The ultimate responsibility lies with the pitcher, not the coach. It's the pitcher who's developed a certain repertoire of pitches and a certain approach to using them over many years and with the input of many people. He knows himself better than anyone does. The coach is there to help so he doesn't have to struggle on his own.

As far as Pedro is concerned, he's a bright guy who could probably be a great coach if he wanted to be. Despite the reports, we don't know precisely what the extent of his involvement was. Regardless, if he fixed Severino, that's great. It's not a knock on Rothschild. Players seek advice from other people all the time. Kudos to Severino for listening when an all time great offered some advice. And some credit to Rothschild for helping him to sustain it. Credit to Rothschild as well for helping Tanaka to eventually turn it around.

This is a case where I want to say that you're both right. Rothschild has had his failures, I'm sure. He's also had his successes.
    I just don't understand Betrances. One, I always like Pedro and would bring him in if I could. He help Servino and maybe his changeup (like Betrances his fast ball is best, slider is a killer, and change up is sweet). This is not a knock on Rothchild but another person to help Betrances. I do hope Rothchild will retire because I expect Joe will be back and Joe will not fire him but I feel will be better listening to another pitching coach that would say to Joe "That's nuts!". Betrance has lost control of his fast ball. I check the F/X graphs. No first pitch was in the strike zone. One was called but it was high. And he only has the curve ball as his second pitch. It is the inconsistency (35% of all pitches are in the strike zone) and many are way out there. One. he can't fall behind. Two. has to throw strikes with his fast ball because it's his best pitch three maybe try a third pitch more. The big thing is Joe is pulling him. Lastly, he bounces back so I just don't know (his release point is fine) but I do feel it starts with mechanics (??) and then becomes mental.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    I'd focus more specifically on the 4 weeks (6/13-7/9) leading up to the All Break (7-18). Other than that the season's been great without any sustained stretches of losing.

The weeks leading up to the ASB coincided with injuries to key players who had played big roles in the team's success in the first 2.5 months - Castro, Holliday, Hicks, and Pineda.
    Good post - it really pinpoints the timeline that might eventually cost this team a division title.
    You point out the very costly injuries, but I also remember an unusually high number of blown saves & unexpected losses during this same timeline.

IMO this team will win about 92 games, & the Red Sox will win about 94 or 95 - so 2 or 3 games will be the difference. In my mind I'd say there's a good chance the team lost those 2 or 3 games during that time frame (6/13 - 7/18).
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

I'm a little uneasy with the decision to pitch Severino today. I'd prefer making a plan and sticking to it regarding the rotation. Thoughts?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Rothschild isn't a psychiatrist so I wouldn't expect him to fix Betances. His struggles are mental, not physical. His mechanics may take a plunge from time to time but It's more to do with him over thinking and over analyzing on the mound. There's no in between with Betances, he's either lights out or in a matter of speaking "lights out"
    That's your opinion but it doesn't make it true. Like many tall pitchers, Dellin has always struggled with his mechanics. That's literally why the ball does not go where he wants it to go -- his mechanics are out of whack. A "mental struggle" would be a pitcher nibbling at the corners and just missing because he's afraid to challenge hitters. That's not what is happening here. He's missing by a lot because his mechanics are bad. It's the pitching equivalent of a slump. That doesn't necessarily mean it's Rothschild's fault. He can't force Betances to stop flying open (or whatever the mechanical flaw is at the moment).
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    That's your opinion but it doesn't make it true. Like many tall pitchers, Dellin has always struggled with his mechanics. That's literally why the ball does not go where he wants it to go -- his mechanics are out of whack. A "mental struggle" would be a pitcher nibbling at the corners and just missing because he's afraid to challenge hitters. That's not what is happening here. He's missing by a lot because his mechanics are bad. It's the pitching equivalent of a slump. That doesn't necessarily mean it's Rothschild's fault. He can't force Betances to stop flying open (or whatever the mechanical flaw is at the moment).
    I do believe they are not necessarily mutually exclusive issues. When he struggles he looks like he's lost. There was one game earlier in the year where he was struggling I literally yelled at my tv: "stop playing with your pants!". Not joking he must've readjusted the bottom of his pants 10 time le that inning. I'm no expert on such matters but that seems to me to be a sign of a guy who is dealing with some mental block. My point is maybe he struggles repeating his mechanics because of a mental issue. Or maybe his mechanical struggles result in some form of mental anguish. Who knows.

You are 100% right that there is no way to know if it's Rothschild's fault. That's why you need to look at the big picture when trying to determine the type of job he's doing. That's all we can go on since we aren't there day to day. The pitching staff as a whole is performing better than expected. Would anyone project they would have the 3rd best ERA in the AL before the season? How about 5th best in MLB?

Thread Information