+ Reply to Thread
Page 450 of 450 FirstFirst ... 350 400 440 447 448 449 450
Results 11,226 to 11,233 of 11233

Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    It's not the regular season any more.

[Moderator]

JDPNYY has a good point. Let's take wild-card rosters and post-season predictions to the appropriate threads. I'm leaving this thread open, because people are still discussing the young Yankees' regular season, which was amazing and enjoyable. And they're discussing (for some reason) how Brad Mills might have had better results than Joe Girardi.

So, just to keep things uncluttered, let's keep this thread for discussion of the regular season, and use the playoff threads for those discussions. Otherwise, we'll have massively redundant threads.

Thanks.

[/Moderator]

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    I tend to think that everyone is making good points on this topic. On more than one occasion, when I've criticized Joe, I've made sure to mention a few things first. I've said that I thought Joe is a good man and has a very good temperament for the job. I've also mentioned that I thought that, if he weren't a major league manager, I think Joe has all the makings of a great math or science teacher. He is very organized, thoughtful, and has the personality and disposition to make a solid to great high school teacher. All of these are extremely positive things Joe brings to the table and certainly create a clubhouse that is comfortable for the players. This obviously enhances their on-field performance.

On the other side of the ledger, Joe gets caught in patterns and takes too long to alter course. He likes to make decisions sometimes based on minute sample sizes that result in sitting players that are in a groove. He has done (and you have recognized this) a poor job of using his bullpen this year. Finally, in my opinion, I think he's erred on the side of caution a bit too much in resting players this year.

I think the challenge is in measuring how the positives weigh against the negatives. Unfortunately, some of the negative stuff is more visible to fans and probably slightly more easy to quantify than the positives, which are largely unquantifiable things having to do with dealing with other humans. To me, this is where some of the friction has arisen between posters on the board, leaving both sides with a sense of incredulity in relation to the other.

I think a good path forward (for both sides) is to try to understand the position of the other side and approach the process of discourse as a learning experience where everyone is contributing their piece to creating meaning. This should lead to less friction and invective.
    Very well said. Nice post.

I always believed that a key part of Torre's success as a Manager in NY was his ability to make a very comfortable environment for the players, and also he separated the players from the Owner by always being a "deflector shield" for them. I do not believe Torre was any "genius" with strategy. Zimmer was the "baseball brains' behind the Yankees' success those dynasty years. But Joe created the best work environment he could, and in NY that is very important.

My feelings are that although Girardi is not the best interview for the media like Torre was, he does handle the clubhouse very well. And that helps him get the job done, year-after-year.

Its still unfathomable that Judge finished hitting .284 with 52 (should be 53) HRs and 126 walks all while striking out 208 times.

Its bananas. I dont think a season like that will ever happen again for a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Very well said. Nice post.

I always believed that a key part of Torre's success as a Manager in NY was his ability to make a very comfortable environment for the players, and also he separated the players from the Owner by always being a "deflector shield" for them. I do not believe Torre was any "genius" with strategy. Zimmer was the "baseball brains' behind the Yankees' success those dynasty years. But Joe created the best work environment he could, and in NY that is very important.

My feelings are that although Girardi is not the best interview for the media like Torre was, he does handle the clubhouse very well. And that helps him get the job done, year-after-year.
    Agree with everything you've said. Nicely put.

Joe was pretty laid back as a strategist by the time he left the Yankees. Didn't even have his team do the obvious and bunt against Schilling in '04. But early in his tenure as Yankee manager, Torre made a few key strategy moves.

1. When the Yankees signed Joe Girardi as their catcher 5 weeks after they hired Torre and let popular Mike Stanley walk and then sign with the Red Sox, the explanation that catcher is a defense-first position had ex-catcher Torre's fingerprints all over it.

2. From day one of spring training, it was Torre who had the Yankees playing "small ball" and who repeatedly talked it up in the press.

3. It was Torre who converted Mariano into a reliever. That was the key to the dynasty's first and most unexpected championship as well as being the birth of a Hall of Fame career.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post

Joe was pretty laid back as a strategist by the time he left the Yankees. Didn't even have his team do the obvious and bunt against Schilling in '04. But early in his tenure as Yankee manager, Torre made a few key strategy moves.

1. When the Yankees signed Joe Girardi as their catcher 5 weeks after they hired Torre and let popular Mike Stanley walk and then sign with the Red Sox, the explanation that catcher is a defense-first position had ex-catcher Torre's fingerprints all over it.

2. From day one of spring training, it was Torre who had the Yankees playing "small ball" and who repeatedly talked it up in the press.

3. It was Torre who converted Mariano into a reliever. That was the key to the dynasty's first and most unexpected championship as well as being the birth of a Hall of Fame career.
    Right on all counts. I wish the current team could play small ball sometimes

I think #1 here is a product of what mbn007 said - Zimm. Zimm left the Yankees after the 2003 season. He was in TB in 2004. I think Torre and Zimm were an amazing combo. I also think Girardi could greatly benefit from a Zimm-type presence.

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    I think #1 here is a product of what mbn007 said - Zimm. Zimm left the Yankees after the 2003 season. He was in TB in 2004. I think Torre and Zimm were an amazing combo. I also think Girardi could greatly benefit from a Zimm-type presence.
    Robbie Thomson not the 2nd coming of Zim?

Robbie Thomson not the 2nd coming of Zim?
    LOL! I genuinely laughed out loud. Thanks!

Thread Information