+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

2017 Official Regular Season Thread

Time to get it started!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

I'll be at the game today! Stoked!

Go Yanks!

Very excited! The trio of Sanchez-Bird-Judge is worth the price of admission itself. We are building a monster!

NYYF Legend

I wonder how the new 10 day disabled list will affect the Yankees and MLB on the whole?

I think back to the past several years when Yankee Players (Teix) were out for 10 or 12 days and just sat on the bench.

Interesting rule change.
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

I love that the Yanks are opening on a Sunday afternoon!
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Personally I think all games should start on the weekend so we can see them without taking time off. Though I work from home son of an issue for me.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Agreed. I can sit, relax, and enjoy opening day rather than having to sneak peaks at Gameday while at work.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I wonder how the new 10 day disabled list will affect the Yankees and MLB on the whole?

I think back to the past several years when Yankee Players (Teix) were out for 10 or 12 days and just sat on the bench.

Interesting rule change.
    I suspect it will cause trouble with our fantasy teams too. But it's good for MLB.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post

Interesting rule change.
    I think it is a long needed change - having a player on the bench (essentially DL'd) because of a minor injury and playing a man short leads to other players being used in ways they are not normally used, which itself can cause injuries.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Archer scares me and I hate that "ballpark", but at least Tanaka will have a comfortable first start weather-wise, inside a dome. It will be interesting to see how Judge performs against a tough RH pitcher like Archer. Actually, if I was Girardi, I would start Hicks in RF today rather than Judge, but we will see what the kid is made of. After naming Judge the starting RFer, I guess not starting him on the first day of the season would be a bad message to send, so you roll the dice. Quite honestly, I feel that we are still 2 years away from really competing so let's see what we really have. Would have preferred to see Wade at SS specifically for that reason although I am sure that Torreyes will do a good job subbing for Didi. Go Yankees!!!

I knew the spring training outcome was going to blow up expectations.

It's going to be a long year for many if you don't scale it back a bit and accept that this season is not going to be a playoff season. Which is okay. The direction is the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post

It's going to be a long year for many if you don't scale it back a bit and accept that this season is not going to be a playoff season. Which is okay. The direction is the right one.
    That was mostly prospects though. The vets didn't play much. If they did, most didn't hit or pitch well. As soon as prospects started being reassigned, the loses seem to began. And for me, the excitement level dropped unless Bird, Sanchez and Judge were at AB.

But yeah, a lot of our prospects had a good ST which contributed to the record.

For me, and I think most posters here, the expectation is that Sanchez, Bird, and probably Judge are going to hit at a high level, regardless of the team record. If they do not and take steps back, there is going to be a lot of disappointment that the rebuild is not working. Similarly, there are also expectations for some key minor leaguers that could result in disappointment.

Team record is less important, but we can still hope that the questionable rotation some how is adequate and that the team does well. I know I will.

NYYF Legend

Somebody help me out here. In the 9th inning instead of having Kozma bat Girardi PH him with Carter. Who would have played SS if the Yankees managed to tie it up or take the lead? Romine was the only player left on the bench.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Somebody help me out here. In the 9th inning instead of having Kozma bat Girardi PH him with Carter. Who would have played SS if the Yankees managed to tie it up or take the lead? Romine was the only player left on the bench.
    Castro would have moved to SS, Romine would have played 2B.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    The plan was:

1B - Carter
    2B - Headley
    SS - Castro
    3B - Bird

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...d_at_thir.html

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hairnovaaa View Post
    The plan was:

1B - Carter
    2B - Headley
    SS - Castro
    3B - Bird

What?! Has Girdardi lost his mind. Headley has never played 2nd and Bird hasn't played 3rd. Carter hit .100 in ST. Why would he put his team in such a bad defensive position.

I can't believe no one is alarmed by this.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hairnovaaa View Post
    The plan was:

1B - Carter
    2B - Headley
    SS - Castro
    3B - Bird

I think the plan was Romine at 3B, not Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    For me, and I think most posters here, the expectation is that Sanchez, Bird, and probably Judge are going to hit at a high level, regardless of the team record. If they do not and take steps back, there is going to be a lot of disappointment that the rebuild is not working. Similarly, there are also expectations for some key minor leaguers that could result in disappointment.

Team record is less important, but we can still hope that the questionable rotation some how is adequate and that the team does well. I know I will.
    Those three players each have between 28 and 56 career big league games. How can they take steps back when they haven't taken steps forward? Really this their rookie season, even if technically not.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Those three players each have between 28 and 56 career big league games. How can they take steps back when they haven't taken steps forward? Really this their rookie season, even if technically not.
    ??? They have been taking steps toward being productive major leaguers since they started playing baseball. Steps toward that end do not begin in MLB.

Anyway, I think my point was clear. Most of us are going to be disappointed if we do not see production in the young players, including some like Torres who may not even be taking his steps in the majors, young players who need to be part of the core of any great team that emerges in the following couple of years. This season will give us a much better indication of whether that team is likely to emerge, regardless of the team's won-loss record and the performance of the older players.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    ??? They have been taking steps toward being productive major leaguers since they started playing baseball. Steps toward that end do not begin in MLB.

Anyway, I think my point was clear. Most of us are going to be disappointed if we do not see production in the young players, including some like Torres who may not even be taking his steps in the majors, young players who need to be part of the core of any great team that emerges in the following couple of years. This season will give us a much better indication of whether that team is likely to emerge, regardless of the team's won-loss record and the performance of the older players.
    Over a 162 game season they'll take steps backwards. Slumps, errors, everything that the players they've replaced went thru. It's not a straight route upwards is my point. If Sanchez starts slowly, no big deal. Develop at the big leagues with ups and downs. Better than the free agent of the day or trading for the Chase Headleys of the world.

Make the Yankees great again!!

Not sure how old you are but anyone thats been watching baseball for more than a few years knows that Spring Training results mean zero. Personally I assess a team's prospects for the season by looking at the talent on the 25 man roster. My expectations coming into this season are low given the state of the rotation and the bottom half of the lineup. They could have won every game in March and it would not have changed my expectations. What would change my expectations is if they upgrade the talent on the ML roster during the season.

I took a flyer on him in one of my big fantasy leagues. I'm hoping he pays off. It's slim pickins on the waiver wire for pitching right now.

I knew it. This is my fault. I drafted him in one of my big fantasy leagues. Crap. My bad everyone. This is my curse.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBliz View Post
    I'm sorry for everyone else on this forum for this flamewar nonsense. I like 99% of you. Two of you are absolutely douches and I had to put it out there because I'm sick of them trying to bully people around with stupid opinions.
    No need to apologize I'm quite entertained. You both can handle your sht so carry on.

Thread Information