+ Reply to Thread
Page 276 of 276 FirstFirst ... 176 226 266 273 274 275 276
Results 6,876 to 6,894 of 6894
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Lets all secretly hope the injury fairy sprinkles some pixie dust on Ellsbury soon so Red Thunder can continue his growth.

IS that wrong to say?

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Lets all secretly hope the injury fairy sprinkles some pixie dust on Ellsbury soon so Red Thunder can continue his growth.

IS that wrong to say?
    I think he should retire early and go hang with the family.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Yes the Yankees are wrong to play Ellsbury. No, they're not wrong sending Frazier back down. When Hicks comes back, there's no PT for Frazier. He may play 1-2 time a week. Send him to AAA and let him continue to grow. Now next year, who knows what they're going to do. Still going to be the same problem.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by s3antana5757 View Post
    Yes the Yankees are wrong to play Ellsbury. No, they're not wrong sending Frazier back down. When Hicks comes back, there's no PT for Frazier. He may play 1-2 time a week. Send him to AAA and let him continue to grow. Now next year, who knows what they're going to do. Still going to be the same problem.
    Your agreements are polar opposite of one another though.
    If money is a science, then it is a dark science...it has gone on developing...by its own rules. Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

I think Hicks will eventually come back to earth (which he was kind of in the process of doing already before getting injured) and Frazier will then step in then. I mean, I hope Hicks can keep it up, but it's rare that players improve this much over a season and are able to maintain it.

I agree that Ellsbury sucks though and shouldn't be playing. I don't have any hatred towards him since the Yankees are the ones who vastly overvalued his services, but if you aren't producing you shouldn't be playing. Torreyes has outplayed him this season for crying out loud

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Your agreements are polar opposite of one another though.
    How so? They should not be playing Ellsbury RIGHT NOW. Once Hicks comes back, your OF is going to be Gardner-Hicks-Judge. Frazier is not going to be an everyday player. He can't DH with Holliday. So why keep Frazier on the bench when he can play everyday and continue to improve in AAA?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by s3antana5757 View Post
    How so? They should not be playing Ellsbury RIGHT NOW. Once Hicks comes back, your OF is going to be Gardner-Hicks-Judge. Frazier is not going to be an everyday player. He can't DH with Holliday. So why keep Frazier on the bench when he can play everyday and continue to improve in AAA?
    Forgot about Gardner. Your statement's still not analogous though, for somebody may fall into the same trap I did.

I mean, it sucks that Ellsbury is still on this team and I suppose this has to do with Hal refusing to eat $. Given that, it'd have made a lot of sense to package him with say, Rutherford for Verlander, huh.
    If money is a science, then it is a dark science...it has gone on developing...by its own rules. Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

NYYF Legend

What I don't understand is Ellsbury gets the money whether he plays or not. Having Frazier play instead of him does not increase the payroll. But this FO can not just release Ellsbury so a much better player can be in the lineup that is not raising the payroll.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    What I don't understand is Ellsbury gets the money whether he plays or not. Having Frazier play instead of him does not increase the payroll. But this FO can not just release Ellsbury so a much better player can be in the lineup that is not raising the payroll.
    If the Yankees bench a $21 million dollar a year ball player, a lot of stories begin to write themselves. Some about Ellsbury no longer being good at the sport. A lot about "WTF were they thinking"...

If they just continue to give him a boatload of ABs, enough that keeping Frazier up becomes an issue, then those stories don't get written.

I've always hated the rationale that pervades in pro sports that if you're paying a player a lot of money but not producing, you have to play him, even if someone who makes less is producing better.

Your common sense observation is spot on, but somehow missed by all the higher ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Couldn't agree more - been saying this for almost 3 years now and it's mind boggling that they absolutely refused to let him start after he was one of our top starters at one point.
    I have never understood their stance on Warren considering how desperate they were/are for starting pitching. At the very least, a better option than Cessa or Mitchell, with solid # 3 potential.

Cashman confirmed that Clint Frazier is "out" once Hicks returns from DL (if he returns).

http://nypost.com/2017/07/21/cashman...hicks-returns/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    Cashman confirmed that Clint Frazier is "out" once Hicks returns from DL (if he returns).

http://nypost.com/2017/07/21/cashman...hicks-returns/
    That was posted yesterday. I'm hoping it's posturing to move Gardy/Ells. Infinitely dumb if not.
    Calmer than you are

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    That was posted yesterday. I'm hoping it's posturing to move Gardy/Ells. Infinitely dumb if not.
    Thinking the same thing on this.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    If the Yankees bench a $21 million dollar a year ball player, a lot of stories begin to write themselves. Some about Ellsbury no longer being good at the sport. A lot about "WTF were they thinking"...

If they just continue to give him a boatload of ABs, enough that keeping Frazier up becomes an issue, then those stories don't get written.
    I was thinking more in terms of just releasing him. Like what the Red Sox just did with Sandoval. I mean what happens next season.? Same situation. Unless they plan to trade Hicks.

I was thinking more in terms of just releasing him. Like what the Red Sox just did with Sandoval. I mean what happens next season.? Same situation. Unless they plan to trade Hicks.
    Everyone forgets Arod is getting $20m+ form the Yankees this year becasue "out of sight, out of mind". Yes, they should buy out Ellsbury and try to trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Everyone forgets Arod is getting $20m+ form the Yankees this year becasue "out of sight, out of mind". Yes, they should buy out Ellsbury and try to trade him.
    Que? There are no "buyouts" in MLB.

NYYF Legend

The big problem with Ellsbury is that he is signed thru 2020 with a club option in 2021. The simple solution is trading him but what team will take on that contract, on a speed player, who is oft injured and not getting any younger? I know that the Yankees ate the last year or so of Arod's contract but I am not sure that they will eat 3 years.

Thread Information