+ Reply to Thread
Page 180 of 355 FirstFirst ... 80 130 170 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 190 230 280 ... LastLast
Results 4,476 to 4,500 of 8860

Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Amazing how Clippard has no problems if the Yankees don't have a lead or tie when he comes in.
    This is what keeps punking Joe. I bet he looks at Clip's ERA and thinks he's a good set up guy. But virtually all of his runs surrendered have happened in the situations you mentioned. Joe has no situational instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanquino View Post
    This is what keeps punking Joe. I bet he looks at Clip's ERA and thinks he's a good set up guy. But virtually all of his runs surrendered have happened in the situations you mentioned. Joe has no situational instincts.
    But wouldn't his numbers speak to all situations? I'm not sure I understand your point?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Bernard View Post
    But wouldn't his numbers speak to all situations? I'm not sure I understand your point?
    The point is when Clippard pitches and the Yankees are not ahead or tied or ahead by 5 or more runs he is decent. But use him in a one run or tie game in the 8th or 9th inning and he blows up every time.

The point is when Clippard pitches and the Yankees are not ahead or tied or ahead by 5 or more runs he is decent. But use him in a one run or tie game in the 8th or 9th inning and he blows up every time.
    Reminds me of early Canó when Robbie was raking with bases empty and a zero with RISP.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

How about moving Sanchez back to the second spot in the order after he has been raking it in the 5th and 6th spot. Just playing Carter every game is bad. He only struck out four times yesterday.
    That sounds more like a roster problem. With Hicks out, there aren't a lot of great options for the #2 hole. I mean really, would you rather see Headley or Didi in that spot? And the Carter situation is what it is. He's the only first baseman on the roster right now. I suppose you could play Refsnyder there but that's at best a marginal upgrade, if any.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

I don't know if the numbers support this assertion but I have the exact same perception of Clippard. He's just not a guy I trust in a tie game or with a small lead.

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    That sounds more like a roster problem. With Hicks out, there aren't a lot of great options for the #2 hole. I mean really, would you rather see Headley or Didi in that spot? And the Carter situation is what it is. He's the only first baseman on the roster right now. I suppose you could play Refsnyder there but that's at best a marginal upgrade, if any.
    You could play Castro in the #2 spot. I never envisioned him as $4,#5 guy anyways.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Nope.
    With Clippard, people's feelings matter more than the reality of things. He's been a very solid set-up man thus far, and he's an above average 7th inning guy, but people have ridiculous expectations and unjustifiably low confidence in him. They've literally been waiting all season for him to go through a rough patch so they can justify their bias that he's unreliable.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBliz View Post
    With Clippard, people's feelings matter more than the reality of things. He's been a very solid set-up man thus far, and he's an above average 7th inning guy, but people have ridiculous expectations and unjustifiably low confidence in him. They've literally been waiting all season for him to go through a rough patch so they can justify their bias that he's unreliable.
    Interestingly all of this is quantifiably not true, as he's been horrendous despite his pretty stats. This was written before the Oakland series:

"Clippard has a shiny 2.00 ERA and .158 batting average allowed, but he’s been horrible in critical at-bats this season. He’s allowed a .304/.375/.682 line in high-leverage plate appearances – that equals a .436 wOBA, which ranked seventh-highest among pitchers that have faced at least 25 batters in those situations. For reference, Aaron Judge had a .476 wOBA through Tuesday."

http://riveraveblues.com/2017/06/yan...-12-14-155616/

it's really all about the homerun/hard hit balls.

clippard is a very flyball leaning pitcher. he does suppress batting average and baserunners, but he also gives up his share of homers.

it's just not a good look to pitch him in 1 run games.

It was just a matter of time until BOSTON took over the division, they have actual good starting pitchers !

Nice ride, but it is over for this year, wildcard a legit possibility. It was not supposed to happen this year anyway.

Too many holes this year. 1B,3B, starters, incompetent manager. They should only trade guys that they can not protect from rule V.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Interestingly all of this is quantifiably not true, as he's been horrendous despite his pretty stats. This was written before the Oakland series:

"Clippard has a shiny 2.00 ERA and .158 batting average allowed, but he’s been horrible in critical at-bats this season. He’s allowed a .304/.375/.682 line in high-leverage plate appearances – that equals a .436 wOBA, which ranked seventh-highest among pitchers that have faced at least 25 batters in those situations. For reference, Aaron Judge had a .476 wOBA through Tuesday."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    It was just a matter of time until BOSTON took over the division, they have actual good starting pitchers !

Nice ride, but it is over for this year, wildcard a legit possibility. It was not supposed to happen this year anyway.

Too many holes this year. 1B,3B, starters, incompetent manager. They should only trade guys that they can not protect from rule V.
    Probably true but Boston was certainly helped last week playing four games against the Phillies and than playing Houston when both Astros aces are on the DL.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    On a short term basis why not Didi or Castro batting second. Sanchez was killing the ball batting 5th or 6th.

NYYF MVP

Any word on how long Sabathia will be out?
    2009 NY Yankees: The Business is Going!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    it's really all about the homerun/hard hit balls.

clippard is a very flyball leaning pitcher. he does suppress batting average and baserunners, but he also gives up his share of homers.

it's just not a good look to pitch him in 1 run games.
    And especially in the 8th or 9th inning. And even before he was hurt Joe absolutely refused to try Warren as the 8th inning guy. Joe's main fault is once he decides something he will stubbornly keep doing it even if it is clearly not working.

NYYF Legend

As usual Cashman has waited far too long to actually do something to address our bullpen issues. By do something I mean not recall another piece of trash that's already on the 40.

Cessa, Gallegos, Heller, Mitchell should all be DFA'd.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this so bear with me. Is there a sample size large enough in tight games that proves this? Sorry if this is baseball 101 stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post

I don't think it's as bad as all that, but we are certainly not the team that started the season with a .700 win percentage. What we are going through is what you'd expect with a young team as the season grinds on. We just aren't mentally tough yet.

I do think you are correct that over the course of 162 games, Boston will be the superior team. Think about it: they just erased a 4 game deficit in a matter of 6 days. And that was without playing us head-to-head.

While it's true to say that nobody would have guessed at the beginning of the season that we'd be in first place on June 19, it's equally true that a week ago nobody would have guessed we'd tied with Boston.

NYYF Legend

Two guys competing for the same spot in Spring Training have the 1st and 5th best WARs in all of MLB baseball 40% of the way through the season.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

And especially in the 8th or 9th inning. And even before he was hurt Joe absolutely refused to try Warren as the 8th inning guy. Joe's main fault is once he decides something he will stubbornly keep doing it even if it is clearly not working.
    You've been harping on this point and criticized Girardi on this very issue late last week. Only after the fact did we find out that Warren was hurt with a sore arm and wouldn't be pitching until he got over it. Sometimes the managers know things about their players that we don't - and in some case never will. Theirs is the more informed decision.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Two guys competing for the same spot in Spring Training have the 1st and 5th best WARs in all of MLB baseball 40% of the way through the season.

Cash was wrong. Hicks is Mookie not JBJ.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post

What is quantifiably true is that this writer at RAB is writing about a ridiculously small sample size. If you allowed me to cherry pick any stretch of games, I could make Mariano Rivera look bad in a small sample size - and yes, Home Runs in clutch situations would be part of the sample.

We aren't even half way through this season, so we don't know what Clippard's 2017 numbers will look like when all is said and done. But we can look at what he did prior to this year and get a more reasonable sample. For the 3 seasons leading up to this year, Clippard gave up a wOBA Against of .244. And we are still dealing with only 57 innings in this 3 year sample.

What is also quantifiably true is that these criticisms are magnifying the results during a tough stretch, which is exactly what DaBliz said in the comment for which he is being criticized. It proves nothing because every pitcher goes through stretches like this - even the great ones.
    Last edited by Bill Marsh; 06-19-17 at 12:01 PM.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    What is quantifiable true is that this writer at RAB is writing about a ridiculously small sample size. If you allowed me to cherry pick any stretch of games, I could make Mariano Rivera look bad in a small sample size - and yes, Home Runs in clutch situations would be part of the sample.
    During our six game skid, Judge is 5 for 23 (.217) with 11 strikeouts - clearly, the league has caught up with him and he has regressed. He needs to be sent down to fix his swing.

[/sarcasm]
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information