+ Reply to Thread
Page 438 of 450 FirstFirst ... 338 388 428 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 448 ... LastLast
Results 10,926 to 10,950 of 11233

Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    This is not a pedal to the metal lineup. Joe is not going for the Division.
    I posed this as a possibility a few weeks ago but after seeing it in writing I myself thought it was too far-fetched. But the more I think about it the more I wonder if that has been their approach all along. If it was an organizational decision, for the sake of argument, to not go "all out" for the division (i.e. - not risk pushing pitchers too hard or playing injury-prone guys too much) wouldn't it make a lot of Joe's decisions make more sense? It's hard to fathom that he'd do it on his own and it's hard to fathom that the organization would make that kind of choice but it DOES seem to fit the behavior.

The one factor that I can't seem to reconcile is Hal being OK with playing the wild card game as opposed to going straight to the DS. Unless he's banking on winning the WC and thus guaranteeing at least 2 home playoff games (as opposed to having just one guaranteed if they were to win the division). But I would think the possibility of a WC loss would be too great a risk.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    If Bird is supposed to be our first baseman of the future he has to be facing Lefty's. I don't remember him being platooned two years ago.
    He will face lefties next year, no doubt about that. I think this is more about getting everyone enough ABs to stay sharp.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    this platoon bird thing has got to stop wtf
    It won't.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Not resting. He's platooning.

Holliday is cooked. Headley's gone back to be Chase Headley. Wish they'd see what they have in Andj.
    You're being way too hard on Headley lately for no reason. He's still hitting .304 with a .798 OPS in September. He has more than proven himself to be a good hitter this season and he shouldn't start platooning because of a bad 2 weeks.

And then who becomes the Yankees catcher? Yes, Trout might be the best player in the league but we have a pretty good outfield now without him. Sanchez could well end up being the best catcher in baseball.
    I agree with you, Sanchez might be already the best catcher in baseball, but when you have a chance to get somebody like Trout, you go and get him.

Trout is a combo of talent and character that happens once in a generation

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Not resting. He's platooning.

Holliday is cooked. Headley's gone back to be Chase Headley. Wish they'd see what they have in Andj.
    My guess is Hicks will play 4 of the final 6 to see if he's ready for post season.

Headley/Bird/Holliday will all split time these last 6 games as Joe tires to figure who his playoff 1B/DH combo should be.

A lot of regulars will get days off the final week. Expect Fraizer, Castro, Judge, Sanchez to all get at least one of these last 6 games off.

Andujar is probably not getting a look this last week considering hes gotten all of 1 PA in September. He might get a game after Yanks have clinched home field in WC and been eliminated in division but probably not before that happens. Out best hope on him is he tears it up in spring and forces the Yankees hand.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Why does Bird need rest days? He missed most of the season and has gotten in a groove. And how come the other playoff teams don't rest four regulars in the same game. Only Girardi does it.
    Birdsie needs his rest.

Is Tyler Austin on the team still? Or is he hurt?

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    You're being way too hard on Headley lately for no reason. He's still hitting .304 with a .798 OPS in September. He has more than proven himself to be a good hitter this season and he shouldn't start platooning because of a bad 2 weeks.
    Na. Last 14 days Headley has a .624 OPS.

He is what he is. Below average to average offensive player.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    My guess is Hicks will play 4 of the final 6 to see if he's ready for post season.

Headley/Bird/Holliday will all split time these last 6 games as Joe tires to figure who his playoff 1B/DH combo should be.

A lot of regulars will get days off the final week. Expect Fraizer, Castro, Judge, Sanchez to all get at least one of these last 6 games off.

Andujar is probably not getting a look this last week considering hes gotten all of 1 PA in September. He might get a game after Yanks have clinched home field in WC and been eliminated in division but probably not before that happens. Out best hope on him is he tears it up in spring and forces the Yankees hand.
    My thoughts

We are going to face LHP and I don't like this lineup....

4 of 6, another poster had all games for Hicks. I don't know if Hicks can be ready in 6 games (24 ABs) and he wasn't great before the injury. Hicks is going to take ABs away from Gardy and Ells, possibly even Judge and Clint. I want our 3 OFers ready for post season. It was nice. I think the minors were over so I don't think Hicks batted in championship so that's Tampa (practice); Clint had ABs while he was hurt. Tonight if he doesn't hit I would concentrate on Gardy - Ells - Judge with Clint as 4 OFer.

I want Bird in most of the games at 1B. The rotation was nice but I want Bird at first in post season. I feel he earned it and seems to be getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Betts is having a down year and still hit 23 HRs and 100 RBIs and great defense. Betts is up there IMO. His average took a dip for some strange reason this year.
    Walks took a big jump and he has reached a career high in Doubles.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    It won't.
    Could be he doesn't want to push Bird yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    You're right.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    My thoughts

We are going to face LHP and I don't like this lineup....

4 of 6, another poster had all games for Hicks. I don't know if Hicks can be ready in 6 games (24 ABs) and he wasn't great before the injury. Hicks is going to take ABs away from Gardy and Ells, possibly even Judge and Clint. I want our 3 OFers ready for post season. It was nice. I think the minors were over so I don't think Hicks batted in championship so that's Tampa (practice); Clint had ABs while he was hurt. Tonight if he doesn't hit I would concentrate on Gardy - Ells - Judge with Clint as 4 OFer.

I want Bird in most of the games at 1B. The rotation was nice but I want Bird at first in post season. I feel he earned it and seems to be getting better.
    Whether or not Hicks is a starter in the post season the Yanks still need to know if he's healthy enough to be their 4th outfielder.

I think Bird should be getting more starts but I'm just saying what I think Girardi will do, not what I think he should do.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Classic overreaction to the lineup tonight, good to see. Bird hasn't stayed healthy for two years it's entirely possible that they will go with Headley/Frazier/Holliday against lefties to see if they can keep him around for a playoff run. It's not a crazy concept.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxirish View Post
    Classic overreaction to the lineup tonight, good to see. Bird hasn't stayed healthy for two years it's entirely possible that they will go with Headley/Frazier/Holliday against lefties to see if they can keep him around for a playoff run. It's not a crazy concept.
    Classic post by you. You're pretty much a one trick pony.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Classic post by you. You're pretty much a one trick pony.
    You aren't paying attention.

By the way at least I made an argument. Your post represents no argument which seems like wasted space to me.

Suspended

Matt Holliday is 100% cooked v righties.

2nd half splits against righties:
    107 PAs (coming into this game): .124 BA, .187OBP/ .372 OPS., -5 wRC+

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxirish View Post
    You aren't paying attention.

By the way at least I made an argument. Your post represents no argument which seems like wasted space to me.
    You joined in July and all you do is put people down. One trick pony.

Suspended

Why isn't Bird in this game after Snell left? We don't need more than a 3R lead?

You joined in July and all you do is put people down. One trick pony.
    Again you aren't paying attention. I don't expect you to actually review my posts because why would you care to? But if you did you would see that you are making a ridiculous statement.

Yes I point out the inane criticism of the lineup on a nearly daily basis. Others here do the same. If we didn't the board would simply be the same people vacillating between whether Girardi is too dumb to conform with their opinion or simply not trying to win. I'll continue to point out the absurdity of it.

Sale rocked tonight. Cy you later Chris.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bronxirish View Post
    again you aren't paying attention. I don't expect you to actually review my posts because why would you care to? But if you did you would see that you are making a ridiculous statement.

Yes i point out the inane criticism of the lineup on a nearly daily basis. Others here do the same. If we didn't the board would simply be the same people vacillating between whether girardi is too dumb to conform with their opinion or simply not trying to win. I'll continue to point out the absurdity of it.
    otp..

3 games back with 5 to go. If we can cut it to 2 games by Friday, it could be an interesting weekend.

The Red Sox lost tonight as their pitching imploded for the second night in a row.

I'm hoping that those 3 infuriating extra inning wins last week are catching up with them and that their bullpen is tired. If so, there is reason to hope that they continue to hit the skids this week and that the Yankees still have a shot at catching them

Watch Estrada wet the bed tomorrow vs. the Sox after he killed us the last series.

Thread Information