+ Reply to Thread
Page 428 of 450 FirstFirst ... 328 378 418 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 438 ... LastLast
Results 10,676 to 10,700 of 11233

Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    The Indians need to start losing, otherwise Houston won't have much to play for.
    There is one game in the loss column between them. If it's the status quo going into the last series they both have to keep playing.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    But they have 4 games against Houston to end the season, and they may have something to play for. If the Yankees can just get within a game, there is still a chance.
    Look at it this way. Yankees have 10 games left. Say they go 8-2. Red Sox would have to go 5-5 just to set up a tie.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Look at it this way. Yankees have 10 games left. Say they go 8-2. Red Sox would have to go 5-5 just to set up a tie.
    Not favorable, but still a chance.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

I would love to get it down to 2 to apply some pressure. You never know how a team will respond.

it's baseball. ................ happens.

There is no way the Red Sox lose their lead. We blew it by sending Clippard and Chap to close games when they were awful.

NYYF Legend

I'm hoping the Sox go in the toilet and finish 2-8.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    There is no way the Red Sox lose their lead. We blew it by sending Clippard and Chap to close games when they were awful.
    Oh ye of little faith. The sox could easily have 3 extra innings losses this week. Their luck will soon run out.

I don't see it impossible for them to go 3-7 over the last 10 games and we go 7-3

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    Oh ye of little faith. The sox could easily have 3 extra innings losses this week. Their luck will soon run out.

I don't see it impossible for them to go 3-7 over the last 10 games and we go 7-3
    Boston had three miracle wins over the Indians, Rays and Orioles. That's what killed our chances . Not to mention they go an incredible 15-3 in extra innings.

NYYF Legend

...which only gets them to a Game 163 tiebreaker. What may well amount to a fate worse than death, as it were. Might be better to just take WC#1, play Minny and go with it.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    ...which only gets them to a Game 163 tiebreaker. What may well amount to a fate worse than death, as it were. Might be better to just take WC#1, play Minny and go with it.
    Wouldn't we gain 4 games in that situation and win the division?

NYYF Legend

Wouldn't we gain 4 games in that situation and win the division?
    Sorry, you're right. I assumed you were giving an alternative to the post above which looked at a tie. My bad.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I'm hoping the Sox go in the toilet and finish 2-8.
    Against their cousins in Cincinati and Toronto? Dont hold your breath. They are 12-4 against Toronto.

Calls a tool a tool

If there were a game 163, would they pitch Sevvie or hold him for the WC game? Maybe you could make game 163 a bullpen game, at least starting out that way to see how the Yankee offense did early. You have enough good relievers to get 5 or more outs apiece -- Green, Warren, Betances, Robertson, Kahnle, Chapman. If they won, all the relievers would have Tuesday off and Sevvie could start game 1 in the ALDS. I think I would prefer that to Tanaka on short rest in game 163. If Sevvie started and lost in game 163, then you have to use Tanaka in the WC game, which means CC or Gray is starting 2 ALDS games if you advance.

NYYF Legend

Boston had three miracle wins over the Indians, Rays and Orioles. That's what killed our chances . Not to mention they go an incredible 15-3 in extra innings.
    It reminds me of the Orioles in ... 2012 I think it was? They chased the Yankees right to the wire (and won a WC) by having some insane history-making record in one-run games, 28-7 or some such. The next year their one-run record normalized and they had a disappointing year (not that it helped the Yankees, whose "mediocrity period" began in 2013, just saying). Looking forward to the Sox losing a lot of EI games next year. That kind of freakish record almost never sustains over two seasons.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    If there were a game 163, would they pitch Sevvie or hold him for the WC game? Maybe you could make game 163 a bullpen game, at least starting out that way to see how the Yankee offense did early. You have enough good relievers to get 5 or more outs apiece -- Green, Warren, Betances, Robertson, Kahnle, Chapman. If they won, all the relievers would have Tuesday off and Sevvie could start game 1 in the ALDS. I think I would prefer that to Tanaka on short rest in game 163. If Sevvie started and lost in game 163, then you have to use Tanaka in the WC game, which means CC or Gray is starting 2 ALDS games if you advance.
    I would totally pitch Severino in Game 163. I can live with Tanaka or Gray starting game 1 in a full series. If we lose behind Sevy you make the WC game the quick-hook bullpen-ish game.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    It reminds me of the Orioles in ... 2012 I think it was? They chased the Yankees right to the wire (and won a WC) by having some insane history-making record in one-run games, 28-7 or some such. The next year their one-run record normalized and they had a disappointing year (not that it helped the Yankees, whose "mediocrity period" began in 2013, just saying). Looking forward to the Sox losing a lot of EI games next year. That kind of freakish record almost never sustains over two seasons.
    Orioles had an insane extra inning record that season too. And I agree with you. Boston will not duplicate it next season. But it kept us from winning the division this season.

I recall the O's run differential that year being negative. It was a total anomaly and they shouldn't have had as good a record as they did. They were the anti-2017 Yankees. The Red Sox may not be a great team but without looking at the rosters or anything I'd guess they're better than that 2012 O's team and have a brighter future.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

The current rule is punitive to both teams vying for the division. The rule is terrible. The season series should be the tiebreaker especially considering how many games are played within the division. Even if you win the game you have expended valuable picking assets prior to the divisional round. It should be changed.

NYYF Legend

Wink Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

Agreed. Except in years the Yankees don't hold the season series advantage. LOL.

As a baseball fan, I LOVE the one game playoff to decide a divisional winner. SO exciting. It is rare of course, but I don't want to see it go away, even though it makes for a rougher road....
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxirish View Post
    The current rule is punitive to both teams vying for the division. The rule is terrible. The season series should be the tiebreaker especially considering how many games are played within the division. Even if you win the game you have expended valuable picking assets prior to the divisional round. It should be changed.
    I agree as well. Being the wild card team is punishment enough for not winning the division. No need to double-down on that. Sadly, though, I don't think we're going to have to worry about it.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Calls a tool a tool

I would totally pitch Severino in Game 163. I can live with Tanaka or Gray starting game 1 in a full series. If we lose behind Sevy you make the WC game the quick-hook bullpen-ish game.
    That means Tanaka is going in the WC game. So I guess that means CC facing off twice against Kluber or Keuchel in the ALDS. I appreciate what CC has done all year, but I dont see him winning either of those games or us advancing in that scenario. I would roll the dice to set up Sevvie for the ALDS. And when you get right down to it, 5 of those 6 guys have a better ERA than Sevvie, and the 6th guy is Chapman. They could match zeroes with Sale as easily as Sevvie could, and then with the off day (possibly 2 off days) recharge in time for the start of the ALDS if we won #163. Then you still have Sevvie to fall back on in the WC game if you lost #163.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    The Indians need to start losing, otherwise Houston won't have much to play for.

Plus Cleveland has the tiebreaker against Houston. They opened a can of whoopass against the astros in the season series. All early in the season too, when Houston looked unbeatable.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    Agreed. Except in years the Yankees don't hold the season series advantage. LOL.

As a baseball fan, I LOVE the one game playoff to decide a divisional winner. SO exciting. It is rare of course, but I don't want to see it go away, even though it makes for a rougher road....
    Definitely, I've watched and been to many walk offs and watched Mantle hit HRs in Yankee stadium when I was young but nothing comes close to Bucky Dent's HR. I wasn't there but took the day off. I still think about that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Definitely, I've watched and been to many walk offs and watched Mantle hit HRs in Yankee stadium when I was young but nothing comes close to Bucky Dent's HR. I wasn't there but took the day off. I still think about that moment.
    In my lifetime the Aaron Boone HR is the best

Thread Information