+ Reply to Thread
Page 428 of 450 FirstFirst ... 328 378 418 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 438 ... LastLast
Results 10,676 to 10,700 of 11233
  1. #10676

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    The Indians need to start losing, otherwise Houston won't have much to play for.
    There is one game in the loss column between them. If it's the status quo going into the last series they both have to keep playing.

  2. #10677
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    But they have 4 games against Houston to end the season, and they may have something to play for. If the Yankees can just get within a game, there is still a chance.
    Look at it this way. Yankees have 10 games left. Say they go 8-2. Red Sox would have to go 5-5 just to set up a tie.

  3. #10678
    NYYF Legend

    CalYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Palmdale, CA

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Look at it this way. Yankees have 10 games left. Say they go 8-2. Red Sox would have to go 5-5 just to set up a tie.
    Not favorable, but still a chance.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

  4. #10679

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Look at it this way. Yankees have 10 games left. Say they go 8-2. Red Sox would have to go 5-5 just to set up a tie.
    I would love to get it down to 2 to apply some pressure. You never know how a team will respond.

  5. #10680
    Released Outright awy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    it's baseball. ................ happens.

  6. #10681

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    There is no way the Red Sox lose their lead. We blew it by sending Clippard and Chap to close games when they were awful.

  7. #10682
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Look at it this way. Yankees have 10 games left. Say they go 8-2. Red Sox would have to go 5-5 just to set up a tie.
    I'm hoping the Sox go in the toilet and finish 2-8.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  8. #10683

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    There is no way the Red Sox lose their lead. We blew it by sending Clippard and Chap to close games when they were awful.
    Oh ye of little faith. The sox could easily have 3 extra innings losses this week. Their luck will soon run out.

    I don't see it impossible for them to go 3-7 over the last 10 games and we go 7-3

  9. #10684
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    Oh ye of little faith. The sox could easily have 3 extra innings losses this week. Their luck will soon run out.

    I don't see it impossible for them to go 3-7 over the last 10 games and we go 7-3
    Boston had three miracle wins over the Indians, Rays and Orioles. That's what killed our chances . Not to mention they go an incredible 15-3 in extra innings.

  10. #10685
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Itu-SP Brasil

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    Oh ye of little faith. The sox could easily have 3 extra innings losses this week. Their luck will soon run out.

    I don't see it impossible for them to go 3-7 over the last 10 games and we go 7-3
    ...which only gets them to a Game 163 tiebreaker. What may well amount to a fate worse than death, as it were. Might be better to just take WC#1, play Minny and go with it.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  11. #10686

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    ...which only gets them to a Game 163 tiebreaker. What may well amount to a fate worse than death, as it were. Might be better to just take WC#1, play Minny and go with it.
    Wouldn't we gain 4 games in that situation and win the division?

  12. #10687
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Itu-SP Brasil

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    Wouldn't we gain 4 games in that situation and win the division?
    Sorry, you're right. I assumed you were giving an alternative to the post above which looked at a tie. My bad.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  13. #10688
    Calls a tool a tool
    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I'm hoping the Sox go in the toilet and finish 2-8.
    Against their cousins in Cincinati and Toronto? Dont hold your breath. They are 12-4 against Toronto.

  14. #10689
    Calls a tool a tool
    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    If there were a game 163, would they pitch Sevvie or hold him for the WC game? Maybe you could make game 163 a bullpen game, at least starting out that way to see how the Yankee offense did early. You have enough good relievers to get 5 or more outs apiece -- Green, Warren, Betances, Robertson, Kahnle, Chapman. If they won, all the relievers would have Tuesday off and Sevvie could start game 1 in the ALDS. I think I would prefer that to Tanaka on short rest in game 163. If Sevvie started and lost in game 163, then you have to use Tanaka in the WC game, which means CC or Gray is starting 2 ALDS games if you advance.

  15. #10690
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Boston had three miracle wins over the Indians, Rays and Orioles. That's what killed our chances . Not to mention they go an incredible 15-3 in extra innings.
    It reminds me of the Orioles in ... 2012 I think it was? They chased the Yankees right to the wire (and won a WC) by having some insane history-making record in one-run games, 28-7 or some such. The next year their one-run record normalized and they had a disappointing year (not that it helped the Yankees, whose "mediocrity period" began in 2013, just saying). Looking forward to the Sox losing a lot of EI games next year. That kind of freakish record almost never sustains over two seasons.

  16. #10691
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    If there were a game 163, would they pitch Sevvie or hold him for the WC game? Maybe you could make game 163 a bullpen game, at least starting out that way to see how the Yankee offense did early. You have enough good relievers to get 5 or more outs apiece -- Green, Warren, Betances, Robertson, Kahnle, Chapman. If they won, all the relievers would have Tuesday off and Sevvie could start game 1 in the ALDS. I think I would prefer that to Tanaka on short rest in game 163. If Sevvie started and lost in game 163, then you have to use Tanaka in the WC game, which means CC or Gray is starting 2 ALDS games if you advance.
    I would totally pitch Severino in Game 163. I can live with Tanaka or Gray starting game 1 in a full series. If we lose behind Sevy you make the WC game the quick-hook bullpen-ish game.

  17. #10692
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    It reminds me of the Orioles in ... 2012 I think it was? They chased the Yankees right to the wire (and won a WC) by having some insane history-making record in one-run games, 28-7 or some such. The next year their one-run record normalized and they had a disappointing year (not that it helped the Yankees, whose "mediocrity period" began in 2013, just saying). Looking forward to the Sox losing a lot of EI games next year. That kind of freakish record almost never sustains over two seasons.
    Orioles had an insane extra inning record that season too. And I agree with you. Boston will not duplicate it next season. But it kept us from winning the division this season.

  18. #10693

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    It reminds me of the Orioles in ... 2012 I think it was? They chased the Yankees right to the wire (and won a WC) by having some insane history-making record in one-run games, 28-7 or some such. The next year their one-run record normalized and they had a disappointing year (not that it helped the Yankees, whose "mediocrity period" began in 2013, just saying). Looking forward to the Sox losing a lot of EI games next year. That kind of freakish record almost never sustains over two seasons.
    I recall the O's run differential that year being negative. It was a total anomaly and they shouldn't have had as good a record as they did. They were the anti-2017 Yankees. The Red Sox may not be a great team but without looking at the rosters or anything I'd guess they're better than that 2012 O's team and have a brighter future.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

  19. #10694

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    The current rule is punitive to both teams vying for the division. The rule is terrible. The season series should be the tiebreaker especially considering how many games are played within the division. Even if you win the game you have expended valuable picking assets prior to the divisional round. It should be changed.

  20. #10695
    NYYF Legend

    goin for 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Wink Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Agreed. Except in years the Yankees don't hold the season series advantage. LOL.


    As a baseball fan, I LOVE the one game playoff to decide a divisional winner. SO exciting. It is rare of course, but I don't want to see it go away, even though it makes for a rougher road....
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

  21. #10696

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxirish View Post
    The current rule is punitive to both teams vying for the division. The rule is terrible. The season series should be the tiebreaker especially considering how many games are played within the division. Even if you win the game you have expended valuable picking assets prior to the divisional round. It should be changed.
    I agree as well. Being the wild card team is punishment enough for not winning the division. No need to double-down on that. Sadly, though, I don't think we're going to have to worry about it.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

  22. #10697
    Calls a tool a tool
    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I would totally pitch Severino in Game 163. I can live with Tanaka or Gray starting game 1 in a full series. If we lose behind Sevy you make the WC game the quick-hook bullpen-ish game.
    That means Tanaka is going in the WC game. So I guess that means CC facing off twice against Kluber or Keuchel in the ALDS. I appreciate what CC has done all year, but I dont see him winning either of those games or us advancing in that scenario. I would roll the dice to set up Sevvie for the ALDS. And when you get right down to it, 5 of those 6 guys have a better ERA than Sevvie, and the 6th guy is Chapman. They could match zeroes with Sale as easily as Sevvie could, and then with the off day (possibly 2 off days) recharge in time for the start of the ALDS if we won #163. Then you still have Sevvie to fall back on in the WC game if you lost #163.

  23. #10698
    Calls a tool a tool
    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    The Indians need to start losing, otherwise Houston won't have much to play for.

    Plus Cleveland has the tiebreaker against Houston. They opened a can of whoopass against the astros in the season series. All early in the season too, when Houston looked unbeatable.

  24. #10699
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dunstable, MA

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    Agreed. Except in years the Yankees don't hold the season series advantage. LOL.


    As a baseball fan, I LOVE the one game playoff to decide a divisional winner. SO exciting. It is rare of course, but I don't want to see it go away, even though it makes for a rougher road....
    Definitely, I've watched and been to many walk offs and watched Mantle hit HRs in Yankee stadium when I was young but nothing comes close to Bucky Dent's HR. I wasn't there but took the day off. I still think about that moment.

  25. #10700
    Senior Member
    Carpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    SoCal

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Definitely, I've watched and been to many walk offs and watched Mantle hit HRs in Yankee stadium when I was young but nothing comes close to Bucky Dent's HR. I wasn't there but took the day off. I still think about that moment.
    In my lifetime the Aaron Boone HR is the best

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 14 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 14 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts