+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4 44 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1574
  1. #1326
    crescat scientia awy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I think you mean glut.



    lol, I love Harper, but you're basing that on 68 plate appearances this year? And comparing him to PEAK Bonds? Come on.
    not just this year but past couple.

    he put up 80 runs with the bat 2 years ago, best since bonds but a bit low on obp.

    he put up the same walk rate last year despite a bum shoulder

    he is back in force this year.

    in an executive position, demanding too high of a standard of proof before adopting a preliminary position can be just as bad as being impulsive. there is enough evidence that he hurt his shoulder last year to go with that as the working theory.
    always reasonable

    Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

  2. #1327
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    http://herosports.com/mlb/jose-quint...white-sox-c6c6

    TRADE 1: QUINTANA TO THE YANKEES
    The Yankees have arguably the best farm system in baseball, and assuming they're in contention, they're going to make a lot of sense for any of these targets.

    But in the case of Quintana, it makes even more sense because this isn't a rental; this is a guy who can help them win now and when these young players are really ready to take that next step.

    The Haul
    Jorge Mateo, Chance Adams, Estevan Florial and Taylor Widener

    Why it Makes Sense
    Mateo headlines the deal, and while he's not an elite prospect, he's certainly someone who would fit well in any system. He's a top of the scale runner, and he's shown an above-average hit tool thanks to his bat speed and plane.

    Chicago could move him to centerfield, and he'd fit just fine there, maybe even above-average. Imagine Mateo and Yoan Moncada hitting at the top of a lineup. Have fun, catchers.

    Adams doesn't get the attention of some of the other arms on the Yankees, but he should. He has a plus-plus fastball that can touch 97 mph, and he compliments that heater with an above-average slider and solid-average change. He could be pitching in the middle of the White Sox rotation by next year.

    Florial is an international signing from March of 2015 after a pesky little false identity situation in 2014, and it probably cost him a couple million dollars, signing for $200,000. His loss, unfortunately, was the Yankees gain.

    His best tool is a cannon of an arm, but the outfielder also has plus speed and flashes solid power. There's loads of swing-and-miss here and he's several years away, but he's a high-risk, high-reward talent.

    Widener is the "throw-in," but again, there's things to like. He sits 94-97 mph with his fastball, and he shows an above-average slider at times. He'll need to show more consistency with that pitch and improve his change, but even if he doesn't, he's a very interesting relief option.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  3. #1328

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Yanks would do this but doubt CWS would.

  4. #1329

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    It really doesn't make sense to give up Adams for Quintana.

    I'll take my chances (no pun) with him and Mateo.


  5. #1330
    crescat scientia awy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    yea i wouldnt give up anything for quintana. not enough to beat other offers anyway.

    i think he is overrated and very vulnerable to a collapse anytime now
    always reasonable

    Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

  6. #1331
    "The Barrel" ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Would prefer to include Frazier instead of Mateo.
    Calmer than you are

  7. #1332

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    not just this year but past couple.

    he put up 80 runs with the bat 2 years ago, best since bonds but a bit low on obp.

    he put up the same walk rate last year despite a bum shoulder

    he is back in force this year.

    in an executive position, demanding too high of a standard of proof before adopting a preliminary position can be just as bad as being impulsive. there is enough evidence that he hurt his shoulder last year to go with that as the working theory.
    I mean, peak Bonds put up 120 runs with the bat.

    I'm not saying the shoulder wasn't an issue that is now resolved and that he won't return to 2015 form. But even if he does, that's still nowhere close to peak Bonds.


  8. #1333
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Would prefer to include Frazier instead of Mateo.
    Absolutely.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

  9. #1334
    crescat scientia awy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I mean, peak Bonds put up 120 runs with the bat.

    I'm not saying the shoulder wasn't an issue that is now resolved and that he won't return to 2015 form. But even if he does, that's still nowhere close to peak Bonds.
    the amount of hate harper will generate as a future yankee is worth 40 runs by itself

    i chose to bestow upon harper the sacred bonds hyperbole, u just gotta deal with it
    always reasonable

    Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

  10. #1335

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    yea i wouldnt give up anything for quintana. not enough to beat other offers anyway.

    i think he is overrated and very vulnerable to a collapse anytime now
    I'm not that worried about a total collapse, but also wouldn't give up enough to beat other offers.

    Quintana is very likely not going to be the guy to put us over the top this year, so really only looking at 3 years of him being a useful piece. Would rather roll the dice with Adams, especially given how Severino and Montgomery have performed so far (along with the other depth).

    They can have Chad Greene and Wade in place of Adams and Mateo. That won't get it done, and I'm cool with that.


  11. #1336
    crescat scientia awy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by yank4life2005 View Post
    Yanks would do this but doubt CWS would.
    if i were white sox gm and if this was the only deal on the table i'd buy quintana's united airlines ticket to jfk personally.
    always reasonable

    Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

  12. #1337
    crescat scientia awy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I'm not that worried about a total collapse, but also wouldn't give up enough to beat other offers.

    Quintana is very likely not going to be the guy to put us over the top this year, so really only looking at 3 years of him being a useful piece. Would rather roll the dice with Adams, especially given how Severino and Montgomery have performed so far (along with the other depth).

    They can have Chad Greene and Wade in place of Adams and Mateo. That won't get it done, and I'm cool with that.
    this recent stretch of suck is meaningful me think. if he is not getting the lowstrikes he is sunk.
    always reasonable

    Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

  13. #1338

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    It would be a big failure if the Yankees missed out on Harper.
    Baseball games are not won with a formula

  14. #1339

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    this recent stretch of suck is meaningful me think. if he is not getting the lowstrikes he is sunk.
    I'll take his numbers over the last couple seasons has an indicator of what he is than his performance so far this season. He's a solid pitcher. But not an ace. Yanks need proven pitching. Never going to happen but I'd throw DiDi in to headline the package
    Baseball games are not won with a formula

  15. #1340
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    It really doesn't make sense to give up Adams for Quintana.

    I'll take my chances (no pun) with him and Mateo.
    Totally agree. I know some folks really like Quintana for legit reasons, but I wasn't a fan - and even less so now given his '17 start - of giving up any top prospects like Mateo or Adams for him. I think this offseason there were some folks advocating Judge as a centerpiece for Quintana. Glad that didn't happen.

    That said, they'll need to make some moves eventually to prevent losing some talent in rule V.

  16. #1341

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I'm not that worried about a total collapse, but also wouldn't give up enough to beat other offers.

    Quintana is very likely not going to be the guy to put us over the top this year, so really only looking at 3 years of him being a useful piece. Would rather roll the dice with Adams, especially given how Severino and Montgomery have performed so far (along with the other depth).

    They can have Chad Greene and Wade in place of Adams and Mateo. That won't get it done, and I'm cool with that.
    Wouldn't be surprising to see severino turn into a really good pitcher. CC is interesting. Last year of deal. Seems to of reinvented himself. PIneda just put together 2 back to back games that were good for what seems to be his first time as a yankee. who knows about tanaka. There are a lot of question marks with the rotation
    Baseball games are not won with a formula

  17. #1342
    "The Barrel" ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    I'll take his numbers over the last couple seasons has an indicator of what he is than his performance so far this season. He's a solid pitcher. But not an ace. Yanks need proven pitching. Never going to happen but I'd throw DiDi in to headline the package
    Agreed, Quintana's contract is an insane bargain. That's what you are paying for in prospects. Stuff wise there has been no dropoff this season.
    Calmer than you are

  18. #1343
    crescat scientia awy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    i think he'll suck. lets see
    always reasonable

    Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

  19. #1344

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    I'd rather a higher total prospect cost for a true frontline pitcher, if available. 1-2 punches are so important in the playoffs.

    Would also be fine trading OF and other superfluous prospects for high-risk/high-reward pitching prospects.


  20. #1345
    crescat scientia awy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    basic problem i have with quintana is that he's a guy that relies on limiting quality of contact.

    he is also a flyball pitcher and does not strike anyone out.

    with increased power around the league, and higher zone, he's pretty ................ed.
    always reasonable

    Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

  21. #1346
    NYYF HOF

    JOBA RULES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yankee Universe

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Absolutely.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Would prefer to include Frazier instead of Mateo.
    Strongly disagree.
    FRANCESA >> KAY
    FIRE LEVINE

  22. #1347
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    i think he'll suck. lets see
    Real insightful analysis here.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

  23. #1348
    crescat scientia awy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    it is the best analysis. my successful predictions are yuuuge
    always reasonable

    Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

  24. #1349

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    basic problem i have with quintana is that he's a guy that relies on limiting quality of contact.

    he is also a flyball pitcher and does not strike anyone out.

    with increased power around the league, and higher zone, he's pretty ................ed.
    I mean sure, Hes not A blow you away tupe ofmpitcher but his k per 9 rate and his 180 ks last year to his 208 innings is respectable I think. I think "does not strike anyone out" is just a little unfair. I think your projection of his downturn isnt unfair, however. But there is no denying hes been consistent and good in the past 4 seasons
    Baseball games are not won with a formula

  25. #1350
    crescat scientia awy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    he has a pretty dismal 7.2% swinging strikes induced this year. it's been going down consistently as well. not expecting a big recovery on that front.

    in terms of called strikes for him, he's been losing bigly on the low corners, inside and outside. that is probably going to continue.
    always reasonable

    Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 25 users browsing this thread. (4 members and 21 guests)

  1. Bub
  2. -tz
  3. apalradio

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts