+ Reply to Thread
Page 421 of 421 FirstFirst ... 321 371 411 418 419 420 421
Results 10,501 to 10,514 of 10514

Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

Poster 1- Girardi doesn't use rookies.

Poster 2- yes he does here are multiple examples...

Poster 1- those are bad examples

Awesome. Btw Green has been used in high leverage situations for months now. He's been used earlier in the game because we have 3 guys who have made a living pitching in big spots late in games. Saying he hasn't used Green in big spots is simply ignorant.

NYYF Legend

Great game by Garcia. Also pitched good last time before Joe's quick hook.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

Re: The Red Sox 14-3 extra innings record.

I actually think this is good news. Not for this year, because it has helped them get close to beating us for the division, but it points to better things going forward..

Typically, extra inning games, whether involving really good or really bad teams, come out to very close to coin flips. The same for one run games.
    Great teams can destroy opponents, but even a great team playing a lousy team in a one run or extra inning game starts to have very close odds.

When you look at both the Red Sox record in these games, and the Yankees insanely bad record on close games, as well as the run differential for the teams (which is a very good predictor of record in most cases) I see a Yankees team better than Boston. We even beat them head to head this year 11-8. All the statistics point to the Yankees as a better team, and the actual teams standings/position being a product of luck, good for them, bad for us.

I recall a couple years back the Orioles had this great record, I don't recall the year but I think it was in the past 5 or so seasons. And they had this insane record in one run and/or extra inning games, something like 20 games over .500. Almost their entire record was built on their record in these types of games. Sure enough, when they regressed to the mean and played roughly .500 in those games the following year, they were a non-factor.

If the 2018 season started today, I'd pick the Yankees to win the division.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    Huge win for Red Sox. The difference between a 2-game lead and a 3-game lead, at this stage is massive. Ugh!
    Bummed. That's 2 in a row, TB and BAL. Both situations the opposing coach ran out of pitchers. Last night Castro walked 3 batters to load the bases with 1 out...

Last night, I had no problem using Betances but very happy to see Joe take him out. I just don't understand his problem with control. I just wish we got a hit when we had a guy on 3rd with 2 outs. Chapman was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Bummed. That's 2 in a row, TB and BAL. Both situations the opposing coach ran out of pitchers. Last night Castro walked 3 batters to load the bases with 1 out...

Last night, I had no problem using Betances but very happy to see Joe take him out. I just don't understand his problem with control. I just wish we got a hit when we had a guy on 3rd with 2 outs. Chapman was awesome.

I agree. One area I have disagreed with Girardi in the past is his unwillingness to pull Chapman, and Betances mid inning when they clearly don't have it. He has stopped this practice. Its a fine line. Right now Chapman has earned the right to work out of trouble again. Betances has lost that right for the time being.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Great game by Garcia. Also pitched good last time before Joe's quick hook.
    Yes. ? 7 SOs... I kinda feel bad for Gracia. DRob got both Ws and I think he is still looking for his first W. But I have no problem Joe going to DRob with an early hook; first one was tough. (DRob should be our set up)

I been watching baseball too long but always wonder if there was any pitcher who intentionally dropped the ball when he was handing it to the manager?

edit - if Jim Palmer never did it to Earl Weaver I am pretty sure it's never been done.
    Last edited by bucky; Today at 08:11 AM. Reason: extra

NYYF Legend

Yes. ? 7 SOs... I kinda feel bad for Gracia. DRob got both Ws and I think he is still looking for his first W. But I have no problem Joe going to DRob with an early hook; first one was tough. (DRob should be our set up)

I been watching baseball too long but always wonder if there was any pitcher who intentionally dropped the ball when he was handing it to the manager?

edit - if Jim Palmer never did it to Earl Weaver I am pretty sure it's never been done.
    When Luis Tiant pitched for the Yankees I remember a game he was so angry at getting pulled that as he walked off the field he threw is glove into the stands.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    When Luis Tiant pitched for the Yankees I remember a game he was so angry at getting pulled that as he walked off the field he threw is glove into the stands.
    I missed that one but miss Tiant his "blooper pitch" that was about 30 mph. I don't think they had the radar on the scoreboard back then. Maybe Zim (gerbil back then) was the manager. I actually drove to Roxbury years ago because he was coaching an independent league. I even liked some BoSox players back then.

How about throwing it over the outfield fence instead?

https://youtu.be/ec14W8oh4sg

I just want to point out that last night's "no-brainer lineup" scored a total of 2 runs while "the pitcher I never want to see again" pretty much dominated the Twins for 5 innings.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    I just want to point out that last night's "no-brainer lineup" scored a total of 2 runs while "the pitcher I never want to see again" pretty much dominated the Twins for 5 innings.

After someone posted here yesterday that we obviously would have won Sunday if we had this lineup in, ignoring the fact that half the production from Sunday would have been benched. Objectivity is rare around here.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Tonight was the first time Ellsbury and Gardner stole 2 bases as teammates.
    Anyone know the last time 2 different Yankees stole 2 bases each, without being caught? You might be surprised at the answer for 1 of the fellows.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Anyone know the last time 2 different Yankees stole 2 bases each, without being caught? You might be surprised at the answer for 1 of the fellows.

Shot in the dark. Tim Raines and Paul O'Neill.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Don't know but was the guy we would not expected successful on the back half of a double steal?

Thread Information