+ Reply to Thread
Page 397 of 450 FirstFirst ... 297 347 387 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 407 447 ... LastLast
Results 9,901 to 9,925 of 11233

Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

I heard tonight's game has been postponed. Can someone confirm that?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    yes - I think it's tomorrow at 1:35. MLB.COM (good I need a break)

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    MLB.com has it postponed.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    yes - I think it's tomorrow at 1:35. MLB.COM (good I need a break)
    So does that mean Bird won't need a rest day tomorrow and can play.

NYYF Legend

Rain out helps us. Would have had a short pen tonight.

NYYF Legend

Higgy playing for the Staten Island Yankees tonight.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by cptxcpl View Post
    [LIST][*]

Betances WALKED Beckham with 2 outs and the bases empty. That is NOT getting beat, that is beating yourself. And the guy coming up is the hottest hitter in the league. I would have rather seen back-to-back home runs than a walk and a home run. At least then the Orioles would have beaten us, rather than us beating ourselves. Inexcusable.
    Walks are a part of the game and as good as Betances has been in his MLB career the BB has always been a bug-a-boo for Delin.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by cptxcpl View Post
    [LIST][*]

Betances WALKED Beckham with 2 outs and the bases empty. That is NOT getting beat, that is beating yourself. And the guy coming up is the hottest hitter in the league. I would have rather seen back-to-back home runs than a walk and a home run. At least then the Orioles would have beaten us, rather than us beating ourselves. Inexcusable.
    How's is that not getting beat? You said yourself he faced the hottest hitter in the league. Betances has filthy stuff, but he's prone to being wild. That's the reason he's never been the closer full time.

And my point is basically that Betances didn't give up all those runs on the board. Sure it hurts to loose at the end like that, but the game was in our possession from earlier on.

Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    This is the point I've been trying to make. Sort of. If one watches every inning of every Yankee game it's be easy to pick out situations that, had they gone our way, would have resulted in more wins. Likewise, I'm sure a Red Sox fan might watch all of their games and say "If we had just a few more homeruns we'd be running away with the division." (Red Sox are dead last in HRs in the AL.)
    Sorry didn't see that comment before. You are smart
    Like your boss Michael Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Other than the blown save stat the Yankee pen has been quite good this year. They do everything you want a pen to do.
    3rd in the league in ERA
    2nd in K/9
    3rd in WHIP
    They don't have a high HR rate
    10th in IP so not over worked.

The blown save sucks but really they've just been unlucky in the timing of when they've allowed runs.
    In addition . . .

One of the most important but often overlooked things a bullpen does is manage inherited runners. The Yankees' pen has the 2nd lowest rate of allowing inherited runners to score.

So, the Yankees have blown too many saves, but they could just as easily have blown games earlier by letting inherited runners score. Those losses would have been attributed to the starters and bullpen stats would have looked great, but they still would have been losses.

The blown saves have been incredibly frustrating, but sometimes we just have to take the good with the bad.

Walks are a part of the game and as good as Betances has been in his MLB career the BB has always been a bug-a-boo for Delin.
    the

The part of the post i took exception to was that sometimes good hitters beat a good pitcher. I agree with that. Walking does not mean the hitter beat the pitcher. In this case it was Betances beating himself. He is a major league pitcher being paid millions of dollars, in this case to simply put the ball over a 17" wide object from 60'6" away. You can't walk a guy and let one of the best hitters in baseball come to bat with a chance to beat you. I'd rather him groove a pitch and take his chances than walk the guy in this situation.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Higgy playing for the Staten Island Yankees tonight.

Good news indeed.

Leave him in the Minors and let him play as often as possible, rotating him to the team that survives the playoffs the longest. That guy has less plate appearances this year then Greg Bird.

Another wasted development year for Higgy.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Good news indeed.

Leave him in the Minors and let him play as often as possible, rotating him to the team that survives the playoffs the longest. That guy has less plate appearances this year then Greg Bird.

Another wasted development year for Higgy.
    Development? The guy will be 28 years old next season. Not a kid.

I'm-a show my ignorance here - who the hell is Higgy? Bobby Higginson?
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Development? The guy will be 28 years old next season. Not a kid.

True.

But the unfortunate part is that he has missed close to 2 seasons back when he had TJ surgery, and has missed a lot of time over the years.

NYYF Legend

I'm-a show my ignorance here - who the hell is Higgy? Bobby Higginson?
    This guy. Well known to us folks who frequent the Minors Boards here. Some want him up here instead of Romine, but Higgy's injury history is something that can't be ignored.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...tting/2017/ALL

Oooooh, OK. Thanks. I know who he is, obviously.

As an aside, one of the benefits I was hoping to get from being back on the forum regularly is to glean some of the knowledge from those of you who follow MiLB. I have some exposure to it because of fantasy but I'd like to expand my knowledge in that area.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

NYYF Cy Young

Yes. Too inconsistent for me. Joe is going to go back to Chapman as our closer so we will see. Joe likes D Rob in the set up role.

http://m.yankees.mlb.com/news/articl...es-closer-job/

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Yes. Too inconsistent for me. Joe is going to go back to Chapman as our closer so we will see. Joe likes D Rob in the set up role.

http://m.yankees.mlb.com/news/articl...es-closer-job/
    Critical mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieTinoTex View Post
    Critical mistake.
    Yes. Yikes!

But another case of damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Oh, well.

NYYF Legend

Yes. Yikes!

But another case of damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Oh, well.
    I don't agree with damned if he doesn't. I think D-rob for closer is the easy call here.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I don't agree with damned if he doesn't. I think D-rob for closer is the easy call here.
    And if DRob fails, Girardi will get blamed for not making a different move by those who disagreed with a DRob choice.

NYYF Legend

And if DRob fails, Girardi will get blamed for not making a different move by those who disagreed with a DRob choice.
    I'd love to hear the reasons why someone would be against Drob for closer at the present moment, given the other choices are Chapman and Betances.

NYYF Legend

People take the critiques of Girardi so personal. It's hilarious.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Oooooh, OK. Thanks. I know who he is, obviously.

As an aside, one of the benefits I was hoping to get from being back on the forum regularly is to glean some of the knowledge from those of you who follow MiLB. I have some exposure to it because of fantasy but I'd like to expand my knowledge in that area.
    To me, one of the best ways to really pick up a lot of information about the kids in the system is to go to the games. Depending where you live, this may not be practical. Personally, I get to an average of 10-15 Staten Island Yankees games, and make the trip to Trenton about 5-6 times a year, minimum. I also travel a bit for business, and I try to arrange with the clients to visit Tampa, Wilkes-Barre, Buffalo (to see Scranton when they come in) and Charleston when the Yankees are in town. Since the trips are usually for multiple days, I get to see a few mid-week games.

Sure beats sitting in a hotel watching a movie.

At the games, it is pretty easy to find the scouts who are in attendance. I know a couple by first name, having built up relationships over the years. Many will share information, if you ask, about specific players. There are also things they can't, and won't, answer.

One can learn stuff from reading various sites on the internet, as well as the local papers that cover the Yankees Minor League teams in their respective cities. But the information, IMO, is limited.

NYYF Legend

With a second chance to get Bird in the starting lineup for this delayed game, Girardi takes a pass.

More rest for Bird.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Thread Information