+ Reply to Thread
Page 120 of 364 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 130 170 220 ... LastLast
Results 2,976 to 3,000 of 9099
  1. #2976
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Still under the unfinished breezeway

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    I don't quite understand why you have a guy with a .464 OB% batting 8th (he should be first)
    I don't quite understand why you have a guy with a 1.146 OPS batting 5th (he should be third)
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

  2. #2977
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Truly baffling how the Yanks are leading the leading the AL in runs scored with Girardi's lineups. It's like he's trolling us.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  3. #2978
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Orange County

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Truly baffling how the Yanks are leading the leading the AL in runs scored with Girardi's lineups. It's like he's trolling us.
    Human factor. We only get part of the story.

  4. #2979
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    At the very least.
    Yeah, at the very least. Hicks should be top 3.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  5. #2980

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    statcast podcast on miguel sano and bret gardner

  6. #2981
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Hicks and Headley should be switched. Even the most braindead could see that.
    But not Girardi

  7. #2982
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Truly baffling how the Yanks are leading the leading the AL in runs scored with Girardi's lineups. It's like he's trolling us.
    No, Joe is over rated. They win despite his moves.

  8. #2983
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    statcast podcast on miguel sano and bret gardner
    And...?
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  9. #2984

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    And...?
    sano is king of exit velo, best on-contact results in all of baseball.

    gardner's sellout for pull power is working great, similar to hicks.

    some of the gardner discussion also confirms the value of breaking down batted balls by different swing intent rather than going by simple aggregates, but that's a bit far afield and not without significant problems itself

  10. #2985

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    I wish we saw some of that WS championship hitting against good pitching this past weekend.

    But yes, this offense is potent. All we need is one more SP to bolster the rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    This team offense is legit - WS champion level legit.

  11. #2986
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    sano is king of exit velo, best on-contact results in all of baseball.

    gardner's sellout for pull power is working great
    , similar to hicks.

    some of the gardner discussion also confirms the value of breaking down batted balls by different swing intent rather than going by simple aggregates, but that's a bit far afield and not without significant problems itself
    I'm not following what you mean by that.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  12. #2987

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I'm not following what you mean by that.
    the basic observation with gardner is that even though he has seen a decline in exit velo, and his average exit velo on all balls in play is below league average, he's still having improved power production. the explanation is that he's choosing some pitches to put a hard pulling swing on, improving his exit velo on a subset of his flyballs.

    by sellout for power i mean him purposefully trying to hit homers on a bunch of pitches.

  13. #2988
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Got it. Thanks.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  14. #2989
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    No, Joe is over rated. They win despite his moves.
    We'll agree to disagree. Joe's teams typically out perform their Pythagorean record which is often a sign of good management.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  15. #2990
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    We'll agree to disagree. Joe's teams typically out perform their Pythagorean record which is often a sign of good management.
    It's often a sign of good bullpen because team shall win lots of close game.

    I do think that he's a good manager.

  16. #2991

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Two things:

    I don't call anyone on Ellsbury right now. He's playing much better than last year. If he can string together half of a very good season, then he 'might' be moveable if they give away money or take a bad contract or two. Frantically calling every team in the league doesn't help the cause. His value needs to rise first, and you can't be desperate...

    I wouldn't shop top prospects, unless we think we have a guy whose way overvalued. I'd be way more interested in a Brandon McCarthy type of deal. Take a guy whose overpaid, or that you think you can fix. If they are still in it come July, then we'll talk, but long term focus here people. If I'm dealing quality prospects then I want more than a mediocre guy pending free agency...

    P.S. - All of you Starlin haters, the guys 'at least' an average pro at 2B, but he might be considerably more... He's likely to make ANOTHER all star team.

  17. #2992

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    It's often a sign of good bullpen because team shall win lots of close game.

    I do think that he's a good manager.
    Part of a good bullpen is PROPERLY managing a bullpen. I think he's great at that, and it's probably the most important thing for a modern day manager.

  18. #2993
    NYYF Legend

    apalradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandlot View Post
    Part of a good bullpen is PROPERLY managing a bullpen. I think he's great at that, and it's probably the most important thing for a modern day manager.
    Still, I get the sense that he has a propensity to over manage the bullpen at times. The way he deploys Warren can get confusing for example, but a strong enough bullpen can still succeed.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

  19. #2994
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    the basic observation with gardner is that even though he has seen a decline in exit velo, and his average exit velo on all balls in play is below league average, he's still having improved power production. the explanation is that he's choosing some pitches to put a hard pulling swing on, improving his exit velo on a subset of his flyballs.

    by sellout for power i mean him purposefully trying to hit homers on a bunch of pitches.

    Do you mean to say he has a different swing on certain pitches in a certain zone?

  20. #2995

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    yea that's a part of it.

  21. #2996
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Still, I get the sense that he has a propensity to over manage the bullpen at times. The way he deploys Warren can get confusing for example, but a strong enough bullpen can still succeed.

    Usually Joe has guys designated to a specific role. Chapman in the 9th, Dellin in the 8th, Clippard in the 7th. But Warren is is swiss-blade knife guy. Use him anywhere, at any time, for whatever the need is.


    So it's not that confusing at all, if you look at it that way.

  22. #2997
    NYYF Legend

    apalradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Usually Joe has guys designated to a specific role. Chapman in the 9th, Dellin in the 8th, Clippard in the 7th. But Warren is is swiss-blade knife guy. Use him anywhere, at any time, for whatever the need is.


    So it's not that confusing at all, if you look at it that way.
    Thanks. I do get that. What gives me pause, though, is the sometimes quick hook with Warren. There are times when Warren can give the team some length out of the pen, but is pulled after only a couple of batters.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

  23. #2998

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandlot View Post
    Two things:

    I don't call anyone on Ellsbury right now. He's playing much better than last year. If he can string together half of a very good season, then he 'might' be moveable if they give away money or take a bad contract or two. Frantically calling every team in the league doesn't help the cause. His value needs to rise first, and you can't be desperate...
    You don't have to frantically call teams and beg. You say hey, we've got way too many outfielders and need to move some to make room for our young guys. Gardner and Ellsbury are available and having above-average seasons; are you interested?


  24. #2999
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandlot View Post
    Part of a good bullpen is PROPERLY managing a bullpen. I think he's great at that, and it's probably the most important thing for a modern day manager.
    And we'll agree to agree.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  25. #3000

    Re: 2017 Official Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    You don't have to frantically call teams and beg. You say hey, we've got way too many outfielders and need to move some to make room for our young guys. Gardner and Ellsbury are available and having above-average seasons; are you interested?
    True. I still think Ellsbury is a near impossible sell. He really needs to play, and have a significantly improved year to even have the slightest possibility of dealing him. I'd say it's impossible, but the Dodgers took Carl Crawford, so stranger things have happened.

    Hopefully Gardner continues to hit. He seems like the guy that could have some good value leading up to the deadline. A contending team that has some OF injuries would be ideal... Washington for example. I just wonder if they'll be a little hesitant to trade him if they're in a playoff race. A team needs some vets, and he seems like a leader on this team. He plays the game the way that you want these younger guys to play.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 8 users browsing this thread. (3 members and 5 guests)

  1. bucky
  2. jnewmark
  3. BabyBombers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts